Acceptable violence on an exercise

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by gobbyidiot, Nov 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm bored - let's have a heated debate :)

Years ago waiting for "enemy" to appear, they fire blanks, we fire back, yadda, yadda. It happens, smoke, blanks re-org.............our old regular army officer picks up an entrenching tool and throws it at my mate, in a blind fury, because we had "allowed them onto the position". His idea was that if they dared to actually come onto the position we should have punched the crap out of them.

Same morning, another mate took the parachute off a chermully and fired it at the approaching lines, and was congratulated by an officer for his ingenuity.

Next incident, waiting and watching serious enemy getting closer. Lots of armour. I've a gympy and a load of blank I'd rather not carry. Umpire comes along, "What's the idea here, son?"

"Well, I thought when they get to about there I'd give them a burst".

Looks at me with pity and contempt. "Listen, these are regular army soldiers. If you are stupid enough to fire that thing they'll come straight up that field and over the top of you". Gulp.

I wasn't there but the local TA unit captured a 23 SAS bloke and put him through a mock execution - blindfold, blank, big punch in the chest at the right moment. He apparently had never heard of this before and collapsed with the shock.

My view - punching and kicking people - out of order.

Modifying pyro - well out of order.

Butt strokes, entrenching tools - totally out of order.

Driving a vehicle at people. Bang out of order. Jail.

Wrestling, barging as part of a fight through - probably in order.

Mock executions and similar imaginative pis*-takes - I can't make my mind up, but it wouldn't be funny if someone had a heart attack.

It's a given that I'm a big fud, but leaving that to one side, how much fisty-cuffs is acceptable?

2. Fooking hell half the stuff you stated there as being out of order was done during my time in cadets and we loved it.

3. The Taliban will do worse things than wrestle with you when they steam over your posistion.

Character building quite simply.

4. I think we need a health and safety investigation into the above incidents. Someone needs to be held accountable, and i don't care how much public money it takes. We have to make soldiers safe when they are training, and there should be no rough and tumble, or physical abuse taking place. This is the UK and we are civilised people, so we won't allow our soldiers to act in such an uncivilised fashion.

5. I was there when something similar happened... 23 decided to do their thing with no umpire present and as a result a fairly energetic scrap ensued and got out of control. This might have been good fun if real injuries had not occurred, including a fairly serious eye injury.

This was out of order - so fisticuffs are a no no on exercise IMHO

6. I think gobbyidiot should have stuck this in the serious bit i dont think hes going to get 1 straight forward answer out of this tonight, especially with the footy on and the beer flowing

7. Fisticuffs are inevitable during FISH!

8. Sorry... FISH ?

9. and dont shoot at helicopters with miniflares lol

10. They live in water, you eat them too. :roll:

11. Wah!

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Same thing here. Dug in around a German hamlet. 2 regs come flying around a corner onto our street, in which there are 20 of us in ditches.

They keep blatting despite us blatting hundreds of blanks at them, so we grab them, and give them a good stuffing in the ditch. Job done.

Another time, big FIBUA set-to, and me and me oppo decides to sneak behind the lines and grab us a prisoner. Find our man and 'pursuade' him (repeatedly) to come back to our lines. Job done.

13. What about dry anal rape? Is that acceptable?

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I won't mention the name of the ARRSER who fired a shermoulli at me in one of the tunnels!

15. Ssshhhh! I'm going for a double wah!.