Acceptable violence on an exercise

I'm bored - let's have a heated debate :)

Years ago waiting for "enemy" to appear, they fire blanks, we fire back, yadda, yadda. It happens, smoke, blanks re-org.............our old regular army officer picks up an entrenching tool and throws it at my mate, in a blind fury, because we had "allowed them onto the position". His idea was that if they dared to actually come onto the position we should have punched the crap out of them.

Same morning, another mate took the parachute off a chermully and fired it at the approaching lines, and was congratulated by an officer for his ingenuity.

Next incident, waiting and watching serious enemy getting closer. Lots of armour. I've a gympy and a load of blank I'd rather not carry. Umpire comes along, "What's the idea here, son?"

"Well, I thought when they get to about there I'd give them a burst".

Looks at me with pity and contempt. "Listen, these are regular army soldiers. If you are stupid enough to fire that thing they'll come straight up that field and over the top of you". Gulp.

I wasn't there but the local TA unit captured a 23 SAS bloke and put him through a mock execution - blindfold, blank, big punch in the chest at the right moment. He apparently had never heard of this before and collapsed with the shock.

My view - punching and kicking people - out of order.

Modifying pyro - well out of order.

Butt strokes, entrenching tools - totally out of order.

Driving a vehicle at people. Bang out of order. Jail.

Wrestling, barging as part of a fight through - probably in order.

Mock executions and similar imaginative pis*-takes - I can't make my mind up, but it wouldn't be funny if someone had a heart attack.

It's a given that I'm a big fud, but leaving that to one side, how much fisty-cuffs is acceptable?

I think we need a health and safety investigation into the above incidents. Someone needs to be held accountable, and i don't care how much public money it takes. We have to make soldiers safe when they are training, and there should be no rough and tumble, or physical abuse taking place. This is the UK and we are civilised people, so we won't allow our soldiers to act in such an uncivilised fashion.

gobbyidiot said:
I wasn't there but the local TA unit captured a 23 SAS bloke
I was there when something similar happened... 23 decided to do their thing with no umpire present and as a result a fairly energetic scrap ensued and got out of control. This might have been good fun if real injuries had not occurred, including a fairly serious eye injury.

This was out of order - so fisticuffs are a no no on exercise IMHO

I think gobbyidiot should have stuck this in the serious bit i dont think hes going to get 1 straight forward answer out of this tonight, especially with the footy on and the beer flowing

Ulster_Rifleman said:
gobbyidiot said:
I wasn't there but the local TA unit captured a 23 SAS bloke
I was there when something similar happened... 23 decided to do their thing with no umpire present and as a result a fairly energetic scrap ensued and got out of control. This might have been good fun if real injuries had not occurred, including a fairly serious eye injury.

This was out of order - so fisticuffs are a no no on exercise IMHO
Fisticuffs are inevitable during FISH!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Same thing here. Dug in around a German hamlet. 2 regs come flying around a corner onto our street, in which there are 20 of us in ditches.

They keep blatting despite us blatting hundreds of blanks at them, so we grab them, and give them a good stuffing in the ditch. Job done.

Another time, big FIBUA set-to, and me and me oppo decides to sneak behind the lines and grab us a prisoner. Find our man and 'pursuade' him (repeatedly) to come back to our lines. Job done.

In BATUS with 2 PARA as enemy (i think). Kicked off in the trenches. Senior occifer there doing observation suddenly gets on the net "Someone stop them... They are fighting in the trenches" which was met with the response "They're supposed to be" :roll:

fish fighting in someone else's house :roll: wah

been in some scraps on exercise people do get carried away. but inf are supposed to be aggressive just hope the grown ups control it.

fired schemulays in the direct fire role at Armour in my defence stab it was daylight and orders were vague rest of company followed suit :oops:

nato conscripts don't like to play those sort of games neither do Americans.
the Cypriots were scared just watching 3 queens beat each other up :twisted:

Social_Handgrenade said:
In BATUS with 2 PARA as enemy (i think). Kicked off in the trenches. Senior occifer there doing observation suddenly gets on the net "Someone stop them... They are fighting in the trenches" which was met with the response "They're supposed to be" :roll:
it was 3 Para in their AI role, hence they were in BATUS

blah blah...i once knew a bloke bloke blah.....old sgt-maj blah blah....officer got filled in blah blah...drivel dribble.....my name is gobbyidiot and my mil experience is based on ACF and ultimate farce....blah blah

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
FatBoyGeorge said:
Biped said:
I won't mention the name of the ARRSER who fired a shermoulli at me in one of the tunnels!
Yeah you will...................
He's much more restrained these days . . . and quite a knowledgeable blerk. Wouldn't want to name and shame, but FCUK it was a close shave at the time.

He wasn't averse to loading up some wriggly tin with sandbags at the top of the stairs in one of these houses, ready to slide it down at the point of ingress.

Latest Threads