accents

You're bored aren't you?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
(Southern) Irish is not a "British accent". And which Southern Irish accent do they mean? There are loads of them.

MsG

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I never had any accent at all until I moved away from home and discovered that nobody talked like me.

Took Zero Alpha to my Co Durham homeland a decade ago. In Sainsbury's she discovered she actually had to keep an eye on me, not follow the accent, cos they all talked like me. Even the woman who told her five year old nipper he couldn't have any sweets, "Cos yer've just had yer dinner, man." Dinner being lunch in durham, and "man" meaning absolutely nothing, being just a noise word on the end of a sentence.

Zero Alpha watches Emmerdale. I was dead chuffed when a character said, "You cannit do that, man, woman." She now understands that the construct, "man, woman, man" on the end of a sentence actually makes sense, adding the noise-word "man" to the bulk of the sentence, then again after the vocative "woman".

(Southern) Irish is not a "British accent". And which Southern Irish accent do they mean? There are loads of them.

MsG
Yes It Is
The British Isles encompasses Great Britain, Ireland etc, therefore any native accents are by definition British.

Just because certain people don't want to be defined as British ( If only Because British is generally used interchangeably with UK ). Doesn't make that position correct.

There has been an attempt to rename the British Isles as the western isles or similar but so far not happened.

Yes It Is
The British Isles encompasses Great Britain, Ireland etc, therefore any native accents are by definition British.

Just because certain people don't want to be defined as British ( If only Because British is generally used interchangeably with UK ). Doesn't make that position correct.

There has been an attempt to rename the British Isles as the western isles or similar but so far not happened.
That doesnt include the Welsh though right;)

Yes It Is

Some of the worst Plastic Paddies I've heard around here want the British Isles to be referred to as the "Isles of the North Atlantic".

Arseholes, the lot of them.

Fella I work with is a lovely bloke, but his Janner accent just makes me want to stab him in the face.
Surely you could enlist one of the Green Army to do it for you? Their DNA is all the same, so the chances of anyone actually being convicted are fairly slight.
Ps. Edited to add..... Written in RP.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Fella I work with is a lovely bloke, but his Janner accent just makes me want to stab him in the face.
What's a "Janner accent"? Gen dit. I really have no idea.

MsG