Accent!

just watched an army programme on the roger melly and the trouble and strife asked " Do all officers come from the same place cos they all speak funny were do they come from" priceless!

Scotch-Pie said:
just watched an army programme on the roger melly and the trouble and strife asked " Do all officers come from the same place cos they all speak funny were do they come from" priceless!
I suppose, genetically, that apart from LEs they do all come from the same place! A genealogists dream, as the family tree is more or less a straight line!

Keeping the gene pool pure does have its drawbacks however, and this manifests in bizarre facial features, poor temperament and speech impediments, such as sounding like one has a plum in ones mouth.

zxninerpilot said:
Scotch-Pie said:
I suppose, genetically, that apart from LEs they do all come from the same place! A genealogists dream, as the family tree is more or less a straight line!

Keeping the gene pool pure does have its drawbacks however, and this manifests in bizarre facial features, poor temperament and speech impediments, such as sounding like one has a plum in ones mouth.
my bold
POOL?
damp patch more like

oldbooty said:
zxninerpilot said:
Scotch-Pie said:

my bold
POOL?
damp patch more like
Gene damp patch sounds a tad clumsy though! And gene moistness sounds rude.

"Nigel is not outspoken
But he likes to speak
And loves to be spoken to
Nigel is happy in his work"

If the officers are nicely spoken, with a received English pronunciation, then that has got to be good from a communication point of view? I personally speak a sort of hybrid polite Anglo-Scot dialect with ten years of being married to a Fenian affecting certain figures of speech ("feck" "so it is" et cetera). I certainly wouldn't say I have a plum in my mouth although I did take a Silver Medal in Elocution (1979). Perhaps that was why as an OR they made me section signaller?

Scotch-Pie said:
...........not since they started letting mediocre comprehensive school types in - mess has never been the same since, and now full of Regional Accent Fusiliers.

zxninerpilot said:
Outstanding said:
Why is jealousy green?
?
? is not a proper reply or answer to the question, which was supposed to suggest that this thread appears to be set upon knocking the fact that most officers (including LEs) are reasonable well spoken and by and large accentless (in terms of regional twang). It is not a bad thing, anymore than having a regional accent is.

Couldn't agree more Pom. Regional accents, training shoes and canvas trousers appearing in the public rooms. D'you know, some of them are actually lobbying for a fruit machine in the bar? Bar? Ha! It all went downhill since we allowed one of those in the Mess.

And I saw a bottle - a bottle! - of red sauce in the dining room the other day. Gad!

Outstanding said:
zxninerpilot said:
Outstanding said:
Why is jealousy green?
?
? is not a proper reply or answer to the question, which was supposed to suggest that this thread appears to be set upon knocking the fact that most officers (including LEs) are reasonable well spoken and by and large accentless (in terms of regional twang). It is not a bad thing, anymore than having a regional accent is.
? back at you, old chap!

I didn't just pick up on eloquence or otherwise, but I also picked up on other "attributes".

The Mess I am currently a member of has a number of faults, I shall list but a few;

1. There is a cigarette machine.
2. Lunch is eaten either on ones lap or outside on garden furniture.
3. "Sauce" etc comes in sachets.
4. Coffee is DIY and instant.
5. One must pay "cash" for both food and drinks.
6. It's shared with Engineers - the off shoots of that fact alone could create its own thread! But;
7. There is a swimming pool!!

Ozduke said:
The Mess I am currently a member of has a number of faults, I shall list but a few;

6. It's shared with Engineers - the off shoots of that fact alone could create its own thread! But;
Doesn't sound like a Mess at all. Are you sure you haven't joined a Happy Eater by mistake, Oz?

Ozduke said:

Thankfully smoking is now completely forbidden in all MOD Buildings (including Messes) so you can have the machine, but not light the bilghters indoors - brilliant!!

Bambi said:
Couldn't agree more Pom. Regional accents, training shoes and canvas trousers appearing in the public rooms. D'you know, some of them are actually lobbying for a fruit machine in the bar? Bar? Ha! It all went downhill since we allowed one of those in the Mess.

And I saw a bottle - a bottle! - of red sauce in the dining room the other day. Gad!
.............and I saw an RAF officer in what looked very much like a 'fashion' pair of trousers and shirt from one of our retailing giants such as NEXT or Billy Burton (only recognised them as such as they seem to be popular amongst the types that frequent Weatherspoons-type establishments) - and he had a Yorkshire accent to boot - it really is too much.

pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
Bambi said:

.............and I saw an RAF officer in what looked very much like a 'fashion' pair of trousers and shirt from one of our retailing giants such as NEXT or Billy Burton (only recognised them as such as they seem to be popular amongst the types that frequent Weatherspoons-type establishments) - and he had a Yorkshire accent to boot - it really is too much.
Hate to correct you old fellow - but that sounds suspiciously like his uniform to me ..............

Outstanding said:
Thankfully smoking is now completely forbidden in all MOD Buildings (including Messes) so you can have the machine, but not light the bilghters indoors - brilliant!!
A Mess used to be akin to a decent club before the new wave of PC do-gooders came along ........... don't know what things are coming to when I'm not allowed a rough shag in the billiards room .......

Bambi said:
Outstanding said:
A Mess used to be akin to a decent club before the new wave of PC do-gooders came along ........... don't know what things are coming to when I'm not allowed a rough shag in the billiards room .......
Why not? Some sort of Health and Safety restriction?

Latest Threads