Academy Sergeant Major Ray Huggins MBE

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Busterdog, Oct 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. May be of interest to those ARRSE members who were at Sandhurst in the 1970s that former Academy Sergeant Major Ray Huggins MBE is now back in uniform as an In Pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

• Like Like x 6
  2. I dunno how to respond to this: he was a most impressive WO1 - probably the most impressive I ever met (bearing in mind the narrow perspective of youth). Yet there is something sad about learning that he has chosen to end his days living in single accomodation, even in an institution as hallowed as the Hospital.

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

What's the bar like in there?

4. Here is the man in question
    [​IMG][/img]

5. BL It's feckin BRILLIANT!!!!!

6. Well - he shure ain't looking 'down' in the slightest.

Thanks for that.

I wonder if he still says "Speak the truth - and shame the Devil." Best advice ever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

They get a ration of four free pints a day from what I remember. How good do you think it is?? :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Just wanted to make sure he was in good hands. A fine fellow.

Edit. I'll re-phrase that. I just wanted to make sure he was in good company.

9. Well, if it maintains the standards adhered to by WW1 Veterans who holidayed with my Bn from time to time in the mid-80s, it'll be Olympic standard, IMHO. :-D

• Like Like x 1
  10. As I recall he had at least one daughter. Luckiest girl in Surrey at the time I reckon..!

Good on you Mr H! Nice to see you fit & well!

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I think I know what you are trying to say but it is almost inevitable that in any couple one of them will end up single. I would not be eligible to be a Chelsea Pensioner but I hope that should I be the surviving singly that I end up somewhere half as decent rather than being home alone. More likely I hope that the widow BA doesn't end up home alone!

• Like Like x 2
  12. I find this rather sad reading, At the factory, although rarely seen,there were Mrs H and her two lovely daughters. To find Mr H flying solo is somewhat wrong and belittling: he should be drilling the schoolchildren of his local village or sizing off the cricket team.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. He may have done all those things, Rick, before he decided to become an In Pensioner. He was one of the most decent men I've ever met and a soldier through and through, perhaps he wanted to spend his remaining years among like minded people.
    Although the epitome of a Grenadier Guardsman he was very proud of the fact his Great Grandfather had served in the old 90th (Perthshire) Light Infantry which became 2nd Bn The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) - he always had a soft spot for Scottish regiments.

I wish him many happy and healthy years in the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Steady-on, chap!

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Impressive looking man. Does anyone know what the last medal in his rack is? My google-fu is weak!