Academic component at RMAS.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Xoums, Sep 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just curious as to how big the academic component of Sandhurst is ie: essay writing, theoretical exams... In contrast with the more practical sides of soldering ie: tactics, field craft, command exercises, ect...? and in terms of assessments how much importance is given to what is taught in the classroom (defence, international affairs...) as opposed to what is demonstrated on the field on exercises, ranges, ect..?

2. I am sure we are going to get it all! Looking forward to finding out myself in January...

I have heard there are plenty of power point presentations etc in lectures and from this we go out into the field and put into practice what we have should have learned in theory.

And also we have to write essays on international and defence studies. Not sure how it is weighted towards our success.

Any young officers out there who could add to this, it would be great to know.
  3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

In my experience the only taxing part of the academic syllabus at Sandhurst was finding the time to fit it in. In terms of its academic 'difficulty', it wouldn't have taxed a well-trained spaniel.
  4. Must remember to take my Spaniel with me for my exeminations then...
  5. Let's hope your spaniel can spell examinations then.
  6. The academic component plays a very distant second fiddle to highly polishing shoes unfortunately. When I was on the CC it seemed like such a waste to have some really interesting lecturers and great library resources wasted on an intake full of permanently knackered, disinterested OCdts who only attended the lectures because they were mandatory.

I'm sure that RMAS could craft a masters around the academic component if the RMAS infatuation with cleaning shoes and marching up and down the square was relegated to the appropriate place. You don't win counter-insurgencies by drilling, that's for sure.

Anyway, back to the original question. The academic standard acceptable to RMAS is roughly similar to a GCSE grade D in history. Complete travesty really!
  7. Hahaha! Oops... Good thing your Spaniel's on the ball, eh? Good dog!
  8. I really enjoy the academic parts tbh, Faraday Hall is a welcome break from the 'RAH RAH TURN YOURSELF INTO A PRESSUP' and is quite interesting. It's downside is Barrack Dress which requires a bit more prep than C95.

It's not hard, but it is assessed so make sure what you say is well reasoned. Quality not quantity.
  9. I knew I wasn't a KC registered mutt as I did find it taxing, and that was the old RCC, by old I mean OLD.
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Back in those days, being able to spell 'RCC' was considered quite an achievement for most of those who went through it...