Abusing the Royal Navy

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr Happy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Not true, The Prince Of Wales was in the Navy

2. Not true, some of them really are female

3. True, if they're not on ship they are all 42 and 45 RM's girlfriends

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Can anyone give me a single reason why I should 'like' the Royal Navy surface fleet?

I know we’ve all got the same employer and we all don’t like the French but apart from that what is their redeeming feature. All I ever come across is arrogance (senior service), rankism (no, this is the gun room), stupidity (I’m just going to park the ship on that rock Captain), ignorance (actually the navy division was an elite force) or abuse (pongo!)

I’ve met FAA, I’ve met silent service. They at least have either got shot at or have some damn manners about them. What I can’t however name is a single redeeming feature of their surface fleet breathren. So, can anyone stand up for them?

Yep, I’m bored.

Ginger Speccy 4 eyed Salad Dodgers

The most militarily internationally embarrassing incident since the RN crashed a boat into London Bridge
  2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Lots of points there!

Being married to one, makes me biased. But the majority of matelots I've met are cocky self opinianated (sic) to$$ers.

On their own they aren't too bad but in a group they are like feeding hyenas- they see a weakness and they savage you! All like to tell you how much money they earn- especailly the submariners. Plus they love getting one over the Army- apart from the Army Navy game of course!

Hope the CinCFleet doesn't read this, of it will be cold beans and weevils for the next 6 months!
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Congrats on your 1000th post BTW.
  4. why should we like the Royal Navy well they are our navy? and are the Best Royal Navy in the world.

Having spoken to army personel who have deployed on ships on operations in various roles from Pharmacy to supplementry air defence they have all come back very impressed by the standards and professionalism of the Senior service. In port they may be a bunch of drunken yobs who look like a sack of sheite but when they are doing their real job they are probably the best in the world.
  5. There are but three reasons why any one would join the Wavy

A liking for RUM, BUM and the LASH
  6. They might use powdered soap in the shower cos it takes longer to pick up but at least they're not the true enemy - The RAF
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

There is nothing wrong with RUM BUM & the LASH as long as one remembers that according to the bible it is better to give than to receive. :wink:
  8. What shall we do with a drunken sailor [​IMG]
    what shall we do with a drunken sailor[​IMG]
    what shall we do with a drunken sailor[​IMG]
    Earlay in the morn'in http://www.urbanforums.com/forum/images/smiles/****.gif
  9. loved that Feckoff , :lol:
  10. Mr Happy

The reason that none of the sailors you have met have made a great impression on you is that they probably could tell a self-important ill-informed loser with a chip on his shoulder.

Yes, NOTTINGHAM was a PR (and - er - navigational) disaster, but occasionally these things happen. Are you saying that no one in the Army ever crashes Landies/tanks etc into things they can see (as opposed to crashing ships into things you cannot see)? Or that no Army officer has EVER misread a map? Ships don't have brakes, or magic underwater radar (sonar is used for finding submarines, not land), and every now and then (ie every 20 years or so) a serious grounding occurs.

What's a shame is that I have worked in Joint (and purely Army) environments and have nothing but respect for how you guys do your work (amusing as some of the Household Division accents are) - you seem to be the best on land and we're OK on water - so why the rant? And as for sun-dodgers (submariners) and brylcreem flyboys being "well-mannered" - I suggest you ever spend more than 5 mins in their company....

ANyway, where was I? Oh yes. No one ever says we're "better" than the Army, or even worries that we're (technically) "senior"- it's the RAF that are the true waste of space - overmanned, overpaid, overpampered and with no useful capability that couldn't be divvied up between the AAC and FAA. So, "Mr Crappy", climb back under that Indian rock and find another target. One you can hit.
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Many thanks!
  12. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Can someone explain to me why it is our fishy-smelling bretheren are referred to as the "Senior Service" when the HAC have been around longer?

Also, you have to admit, the uniforms are a bit "Village People" :lol:
  13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

OK, I can accept that officers misread maps every now and again, or that soldiers crash green fleet every day. But I'm not sure they can combined hold a candle to almost sinking a 30/60/90 million pound, XX,000 tonne boat on a rock that's been there since the last ice age.

And you should learn to stand up for the Queen's toast without banging your heads...

And of course you shouldn't take things too personally. I might just agree with one or two of your points about the Army...
  14. Very good Mr H - please continue to call Her Majesty's Ships 'boats', it really does get up the Andrews nose and is good for inter service banter.

[quote="Mr Happy]And you should learn to stand up for the Queen's toast...[/quote]

If she is making some, I would like a couple of slices - ta very much.
  15. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

There is absolutely no need to abuse the Royal Navy - they are very good at self-abuse :wink: