Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

New ‘death by dangerous cycling’ law could punish killer riders

Killer cyclists will be prosecuted in a similar way to motorists who cause death by dangerous driving under proposed new laws.

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, has proposed to replace the current “archaic” laws that limit the maximum sentence to two years, with a new offence of causing death by dangerous cycling.

He said grieving relatives of victims of killer cyclists had “waited too long for this straightforward measure” to tackle a “selfish minority” of aggressive riders.

Killer cyclists will be prosecuted in a similar way to motorists who cause death by dangerous driving under proposed new laws.

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, has proposed to replace the current “archaic” laws that limit the maximum sentence to two years, with a new offence of causing death by dangerous cycling.

He said grieving relatives of victims of killer cyclists had “waited too long for this straightforward measure” to tackle a “selfish minority” of aggressive riders.
So 21 months then is the expected

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't try to future-proof such things by creating a general law that covers dangerous behaviour whilst in control, irrespective of type of vehicle.

I wonder how many people know that electric bikes aren't by default treated as bicycles under UK law or that e-scooters are yet different again, being regarded as powered vehicles?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It doesn't need to. There is sufficient legislation and case law to differentiate between a regular bicycle, an electrically-assisted bicycle, and an electrically powered bicycle.
Seems fair, although if I were drafting a new law or an addition/amendment to an existing one, I'd try to make it as unambiguous and forward looking as possible without relying on other legislation or precedent.

But that might just be my CDO.

Seems fair, although if I were drafting a new law or an addition/amendment to an existing one, I'd try to make it as unambiguous and forward looking as possible without relying on other legislation or precedent.

But that might just be my OCD.
Future proofing legislation prevents politicians from introducing even more new legislation in future, hampering their opportunities to say they’ve done ‘something’.

you just need a front one to be legal,
True but,
How many miles have you done on fixed wheel, try going down hills in the Peak district,
without a rear brake, excessive use of the front brake in steep hill descent will put you over the handle bars,
and you do not have enough leg power to use the pedals as brakes, with the steep hills descents. Hence, the use of a back brake.
The Rest and be Thankful, on a fixed wheel. It was easier going up than coming down. Ma little legs were just a blur after leaving the top.

anglo

LE
The Rest and be Thankful, on a fixed wheel. It was easier going up than coming down. Ma little legs were just a blur after leaving the top.
Riding fix wheel, is not for the thin of leg, especially in places like the peak district, I used to
go to the East Coast a lot, Lincolnshire being flat is made for fix wheel.