Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

The cycle lanes coming up from Leith Walk are some of the worst I have ever seen, and are basically treated as an extension of the pavement.

Unsurprising, since, again, I've seen more cyclists on the pavements of Leith Walk than I have in the lanes.

To be fair, the whole of the Walk is a building site. Every councillor and MSP who voted for the Trams should be buried alive in the trenches.

Unsurprising, since, again, I've seen more cyclists on the pavements of Leith Walk than I have in the lanes.

To be fair, the whole of the Walk is a building site. Every councillor and MSP who voted for the Trams should be buried alive in the trenches.
My London-born niece was a student in Edinburgh and used to cycle from her flat just off Leith Walk to the University - properly, on the road and cycle paths where available as she was taught. She gave up after a couple of weeks after the amount of abuse that she received from drivers, principally taxi and (worst of all) bus drivers. I took her bike back to London for her on one of my visits.
My oldest had the same issue, but he reckoned it wasn't as bad for him cycling from Newington to Kings Buildings, where the traffic wasn't quite as aggressive.

My London-born niece was a student in Edinburgh and used to cycle from her flat just off Leith Walk to the University - properly, on the road and cycle paths where available as she was taught. She gave up after a couple of weeks after the amount of abuse that she received from drivers, principally taxi and (worst of all) bus drivers. I took her bike back to London for her on one of my visits.
My oldest had the same issue, but he reckoned it wasn't as bad for him cycling from Newington to Kings Buildings, where the traffic wasn't quite as aggressive.

I'm not for a moment suggesting there aren't a lot of idiots driving cars, buses etc as well as cyclists who seem to believe they can break rules with impunity.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I was cycling to work yesterday, when a porky roll necked lump of lard walked out without looking
I rang my bell and shouted look behind you
I don't think slap head was very amused
But the other driving instructors and examiners quite cheered up
On the motorbike I was taught to go behind them if no time to stop but not blow the horn as the idiots usually walk backwards into your path
I did once stick my boot out at a fat gits arse, but as it was race week he was probably too far gone to notice

How many injuries are caused by cyclist/pedestrian interface, though?
If you get twatted by a car, the chances of you dying are much higher, I'd assume.
Also, car drivers tend to know that driving on the pavement is actually illegal, so don't do it. The Lycrans know, but couldn't GAF.
That's the problem - 99% of car owners aren't idiots. I'm sure the figure for cyclists is about 80%.
My bold - are you sure? From personal experience the ratio of cretinous road users appears similar regardless of their mode of transport.

My bold - are you sure? From personal experience the ratio of cretinous road users appears similar regardless of their mode of transport.
The amount of under 40s who seem incapable of simple tasks such as crossing a road never ceases to amaze me.
Look, listen, nah my phone is more important.
With the amount of cctv around I'd suggest a no prosecution for anyone whose vehicle collides with such idiots.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen: a cyclist riding on the pavement, going downhill at considerable speed. Until he passed a van who's driver opened the door with perfect timing.

Straight over the door, face first onto the pavement. Blood and snot everywhere.

I laughed so hard I almost Amber Heard myself. :grin:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Does an electric bicycle have to be fitted with pedals?
I have had a few near misses with council estate mongs on black bikes, that don't appear to have pedals and the battery pack is built into the down tube
This morning one was travelling at speed on the footpath, est 20 to 25 mph

Does an electric bicycle have to be fitted with pedals?
I have had a few near misses with council estate mongs on black bikes, that don't appear to have pedals and the battery pack is built into the down tube
This morning one was travelling at speed on the footpath, est 20 to 25 mph
There are Electric Bikes and, E-bikes.

Electric bikes have, an electric motor, do not require the rider to pedal and, require the requisite licence and insurance to ride anywhere... they are capable of speeds upto and including 60mph (Simon Cowell crashed one in the States).

E-bikes, or 'e-assist' bikes require the rider to pedal (or flop sideways). It's a normal bike,with electrical assisistance for the more arduous parts of your journey. You can ride with no assistance or, you can decide just how much help you need. They are limited to a top speed of 15mph and, are allowed to be ridden anywhere that a normal pushbike can be ridden !

One of the funniest things I've ever seen: a cyclist riding on the pavement, going downhill at considerable speed. Until he passed a van who's driver opened the door with perfect timing.

Straight over the door, face first onto the pavement. Blood and snot everywhere.

I laughed so hard I almost Amber Heard myself. :grin:
Super. Nothing better than watching one inconsiderate ass get crippled by another.

As a pedestrian I’ve had two people try to open doors into me while they were parked on the pavement this week alone. The next one’s getting it kicked shut on them.

Super. Nothing better than watching one inconsiderate ass get crippled by another.

As a pedestrian I’ve had two people try to open doors into me while they were parked on the pavement this week alone. The next one’s getting it kicked shut on them.

As a pedestrian, you have every right to be on the pavement, and therefor any driver who opens their door without care and attention can expect a strong reaction..

Cyclists shouldn't be on the pavement in the first place, and so don't deserve any sympathy.

There are Electric Bikes and, E-bikes.

Electric bikes have, an electric motor, do not require the rider to pedal and, require the requisite licence and insurance to ride anywhere... they are capable of speeds upto and including 60mph (Simon Cowell crashed one in the States).

E-bikes, or 'e-assist' bikes require the rider to pedal (or flop sideways). It's a normal bike,with electrical assisistance for the more arduous parts of your journey. You can ride with no assistance or, you can decide just how much help you need. They are limited to a top speed of 15mph and, are allowed to be ridden anywhere that a normal pushbike can be ridden !
You can go faster than 15mph, but the motor must cut out at that speed. I once rode a hired one down from the Cathkin Braes into the Sou'side and I averaged over 25mph and the motor only helped me pulling away from lights, Gravity and pedalling did the rest. Also props to whoever first put disc brakes on a bike, or it would have been a bit scary.

You can go faster than 15mph, but the motor must cut out at that speed. I once rode a hired one down from the Cathkin Braes into the Sou'side and I averaged over 25mph and the motor only helped me pulling away from lights, Gravity and pedalling did the rest. Also props to whoever first put disc brakes on a bike, or it would have been a bit scary.
My wife has hydraulic rim brakes on her e-bike, which are pretty effective too.

Sorry, I should have clarified...e-assist will only 'assist' up to 15.5mph, after that it's "best personal effort".

Either way, if you don't pedal...you flop over ! ;-)

Hopefully action will be taken against the twat who rode on the pavement.
I take issue with the description of the scruffy old duffer as "smartly dressed". He'd get papped out of the Clansman for bringing the tone down.

Chef

LE
I take issue with the description of the scruffy old duffer as "smartly dressed". He'd get papped out of the Clansman for bringing the tone down.
These days having all the buttons done up on your shirt, bar the top one, and not wearing jeans counts as smartly dressed.

If he'd polished his shoes and was wearing a tie he'd have been described as 'formally dressed'.