Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

Almost every day at least one pedestrian is killed by a driver in the UK. Around 40 fatal collisions occur on the pavements or footpaths every year, of which less than half of 1% involves a cyclist.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Almost every day at least one pedestrian is killed by a driver in the UK. Around 40 fatal collisions occur on the pavements or footpaths every year, of which less than half of 1% involves a cyclist.
How many injuries are caused by cyclist/pedestrian interface, though?
If you get twatted by a car, the chances of you dying are much higher, I'd assume.
Also, car drivers tend to know that driving on the pavement is actually illegal, so don't do it. The Lycrans know, but couldn't GAF.
That's the problem - 99% of car owners aren't idiots. I'm sure the figure for cyclists is about 80%.

TamH70

MIA
If you get twatted by a car, the chances of you dying are much higher, I'd assume.
Also, car drivers tend to know that driving on the pavement is actually illegal, so don't do it. The Lycrans know, but couldn't GAF.
That's the problem - 99% of car owners aren't idiots. I'm sure the figure for cyclists is about 80%.

Unfortunately for your point, dual-use sidewalks for both pedestrians and cyclists are getting more common. Even in places where it's frankly ******* ludicrous as the said sidewalks are so bloody narrow. C.F. what happened when Active Renfrewshire got involved around Paisley...

Unfortunately for your point, dual-use sidewalks for both pedestrians and cyclists are getting more common. Even in places where it's frankly ******* ludicrous as the said sidewalks are so bloody narrow. C.F. what happened when Active Renfrewshire got involved around Paisley...
Although there aren't many near me, when I do come across them, I rarely cycle on them as they are not generally suitable for road cycling. Of course, then I am open to the accusation of cycling on the road when there is a cycle path available.
There is always an excuse to have a go.

I am pretty certain it's a lot lower than that for drivers, and even if they know something is illegal many continue to do it as there is no real enforcement for "minor " infractions, I see cars on pavements daily, or half wits driving across them to get in their driveway. I also doubt it was a lycra clad cyclist who killed the old dear, looks more like a junkie on a stolen mountain bike.

I'm equally certain that 97.635% of statistics are made up.

Although there aren't many near me, when I do come across them, I rarely cycle on them as they are not generally suitable for road cycling. Of course, then I am open to the accusation of cycling on the road when there is a cycle path available.
There is always an excuse to have a go.
...and there's nothing, as far as I am aware, saying that you must use a cycle path even if provided.

So many of them are awful, broken tarmac, and becasue they're often at the side of the road they're filled with the detritus / litter / dog poo that hasn't been swept up and has been pushed there by vehicles/the wind.

If they're shared use, then people often get annoyed when you use a bell or a polite 'excuse me' when you approach them.

One of my MOD colleagues was taken out by a cyclist just outside Portsmouth Naval Base one lunchtime back in 1991. She was off work for six weeks recovering from the injuries.

And you only have to try walking through Central London to see the idiots on bikes. My morning commute included the walk from Waterloo, over Hungerford Bridge and into Whitehall. Everyday I had to dodge cyclists, peddling at full pelt, through red lights, where pedestrians had right of way.

I even once had to stop in the middle of a zebra crossing because the cyclist doing 25mph wasn’t going to stop and was shouting at me to get out of his way.

It got to the stage where I would deliberately walk out in front of them the moment the pedestrian signal turned green as it was the only way to force them to stop.

Yes, I got abuse, but stuff ‘em.

I’ve seen someone on a trike try to work their way up the left side of a bus, between the bus and pavement railings (a very tight gap) before getting their handle bars caught in the bus’s wheel-arch as it pulled away. Luckily I alerted the bus driver in time, but the look on the cyclist’s face was one of absolute horror and terror as they were dragged along the road.

Cyclists are a danger to thrmselves and to other, and need to be held to account.

And I say this as a cyclist who does cycle down the middle of the road when approaching junctions (to decrease the chances of getting cut up) and I have has been hit on a mini-roundabout by a car who didn’t see me.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I think this was very 'tongue in cheek' but can find no reference to it.

"Bicycle is the slow death of the planet."

A banker made the economists think this when he said:

“A cyclist is a disaster for the country’s economy: he doesn’t buy cars and doesn’t borrow money to buy. He don't pay insurance policies. Don't buy fuel, don't pay to have the car serviced, and no repairs needed. He doesn't use paid parking. Doesn't cause any major accidents. No need for multi-lane highways.

He is not getting obese.

Healthy people are not necessary or useful to the economy. They are not buying the medicine. They dont go to hospitals or doctors.

They add nothing to the country's GDP.

"On the contrary, each new McDonald’s store creates at least 30 jobs—actually 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietitians and nutritionists—obviously as well as the people who work in the store itself."

Choose wisely: a bike or a McDonald's? It's something to think about.

PS: walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy a bicycle!

One of my MOD colleagues was taken out by a cyclist just outside Portsmouth Naval Base one lunchtime back in 1991. She was off work for six weeks recovering from the injuries.

And you only have to try walking through Central London to see the idiots on bikes. My morning commute included the walk from Waterloo, over Hungerford Bridge and into Whitehall. Everyday I had to dodge cyclists, peddling at full pelt, through red lights, where pedestrians had right of way.

I even once had to stop in the middle of a zebra crossing because the cyclist doing 25mph wasn’t going to stop and was shouting at me to get out of his way.

It got to the stage where I would deliberately walk out in front of them the moment the pedestrian signal turned green as it was the only way to force them to stop.

I’ve seen someone on a trike try to work their way up the left side of a bus, between the bus and pavement railings (a very tight gap) before getting their handle bars caught in the bus’s wheel-arch as it pulled away. Luckily I alerted the bus driver in time, but the look on the cyclist’s face was one of absolute horror and terror as they were dragged along the road.

Cyclists are a danger to thrmselves and to other, and need to be held to account.

And I say this as a cyclist who does cycle down the middle of the road when approaching junctions (to decrease the chances of getting cut up) and I have has been hit on a mini-roundabout by a car who didn’t see me.
Yet another post extrapolating London to the whole country...

I think this was very 'tongue in cheek' but can find no reference to it.

"Bicycle is the slow death of the planet."

A banker made the economists think this when he said:

“A cyclist is a disaster for the country’s economy: he doesn’t buy cars and doesn’t borrow money to buy. He don't pay insurance policies. Don't buy fuel, don't pay to have the car serviced, and no repairs needed. He doesn't use paid parking. Doesn't cause any major accidents. No need for multi-lane highways.

He is not getting obese.

Healthy people are not necessary or useful to the economy. They are not buying the medicine. They dont go to hospitals or doctors.

They add nothing to the country's GDP.

"On the contrary, each new McDonald’s store creates at least 30 jobs—actually 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietitians and nutritionists—obviously as well as the people who work in the store itself."

Choose wisely: a bike or a McDonald's? It's something to think about.

PS: walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy a bicycle!
Are you sure? Reading some of the posts on this thread, it appears that cyclists are mainly responsible for most of the major accidents.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you sure? Reading some of the posts on this thread, it appears that cyclists are mainly responsible for most of the major accidents.

No, I cannot find any reference for the comment.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

We used to have dedicated traffic officers
Mainly on motorcycles, plus the cars and beat bobbies
They dealt with these idiots very quickly
But then some idiot in government decided to disband them due to cost
Meanwhile sending gazzilions of pounds to prop up failed African and Indian states
Oddly most of those politicians are well protected by police officers
A very unfair ratio

And which one was it that told the met they did not want to see so many police officers with weapons outside and around the gas factory?
That cost a good man his life

Not quite. The zebra crossing was Aldershot, as was the getting bumped on the roundabout. The injured colleague was Portsmouth.

My last office in Portsmouth was 80% cycle commuters in summer (including me with the 8 mile ride to the hovercraft and the mile ride from the hovercraft to the office.

All of us have horror stories of other cyclists on our commutes.

After Ancient Centurion got all drippy a while back, I did a count of bellend v normal cyclists on my cycle commute in London, over about 2 weeks. My results were that the majority of cyclists behaved themselves, but there were a decent amount of bellends.

There were also plenty of pedestrian bellends, walking into the road glued to their phone, and plenty of driver bellends, stopping in the cycle box, cutting people up, not indicating, on their phones.

In sum - all form of transport have bellends, but luckily the normal people outweight them. Trouble is, you only remember the outliers.

Spent 3 hours yesterday in Worcester and the surrounding area including the old Worcs. reg. barracks at Norton where my grandfather trained for WW1.

Lots of shared paths with loads of room, with bikes painted on the side where bikes go.....Kin' carnage as no-one takes the slightest notice.

We were on two 25 year old MTB's we cut about on these days with (Swalbe combo tyres) and both in our 60's so hardly tearing along...saw the lot, people oblivious walking 4 abreast, people on the "wrong" side giving you death stares for being on the "right" side, People actively making themselves as wide as possible in the same way the red socked twats do on byways, the full spectrum of mongness was out there.

On the bike side, one or two guys going way too fast, running reds and pressing crossing buttons then crossing before the lights came on so drivers were grumpy.

Phones were a major reason, usual zombies, but it seems the masses just bimble along with zero anticipation or interest or respect for anyone else but themselves thesedays, all very depressing when obviously £1000's have been spent in the past.

anglo

LE
If they're shared use, then people often get annoyed when you use a bell or a polite 'excuse me' when you approach them.
You've actually got a bell on your bicycle, I was looking in the bike shop, not one bike had a bell fitted.

I know I know,

Bikes have to be fitted with bells while in the bike shop, but there is no legal requirement to fit or use them once on the road. The Highway Code merely suggests that cyclists 'should be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians.

What he said applies to Edinburgh as well. I've seen more cyclists on the pavement than I have in the cycle lanes. Particularly annoying given the amounts of tax payer's hard-earned the Clowncil has spunked in setting up the bloody things all over the city. :rolleyes:

What he said applies to Edinburgh as well. I've seen more cyclists on the pavement than I have in the cycle lanes. Particularly annoying given the amounts of tax payer's hard-earned the Clowncil has spunked in setting up the bloody things all over the city. :rolleyes:
The cycle lanes coming up from Leith Walk are some of the worst I have ever seen, and are basically treated as an extension of the pavement.