Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

"Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime"

What I really hate about the Nanny State is the way they strip you of the few enjoyable things in life.

It was the closest I could find to the second hand Raleigh Police bike I had in the '70s.

View attachment 618659
There were a lot of jokes played on police probationary constables. The police whistle blowing test on night duty on a cold, wet one, stood on Streatham Common at 2am blowing their whistle one at a time until the Duty Officer could hear them on Clapham Common (actually sat in the nice warm canteen at Nightingale Lane Section House with a cup of tea and a radio "372 from Zulu November One, no, try harder...."

The 'Imminent Thames Flooding Gauge' was another, sending a probationer every hour on the hour from midnight to dawn to take depth soundings (an old board ruler from some school) of a smelly stream 'which mirrored the flood levels of the river'.

The 'Police Cycling Test' was modelled on cavalry mounted sabre drills. Operating a police whistle 'at the gallop', Emergency actions on finding the brake blocks missing coming down Norbury Hill, and 'Tilting at hoops with extended truncheon at the charge'. If there was a gobby probby (know-it-all) he/she would get to do it under fire (the garage hands water hose for washing the cars)

Alas, all of the above are now classed as gross misconduct and bullying

Last edited:
Extra pax would work. Rear facing seat. Was thinking bench seat for comfort and it could take two but pedal layout would be tricky. Bucket/flat padded seat better. Those skinny ball destroyer bicycle seats would put off those with back and hip issues. Perhaps a tractor type seat on a leaf spring, similar to the vaaljapie/Ferguson tractors.
I fitted a Moon Saddle to my last bike - it treated my back end quite nicely.

There were a lot of jokes played on police probationary constables. The police whistle blowing test on night duty on a cold, wet one, stood on Streatham Common at 2am blowing their whistle one at a time until the Duty Officer could hear them on Clapham Common (actually sat in the nice warm canteen at Nightingale Section House with a cup of tea and a radio "372 from Zulu November One, no, try harder...."

The 'Imminent Thames Flooding Gauge' was another, sending a probationer every hour on the hour from midnight to dawn to take depth soundings (an old board ruler from some school) of a smelly stream 'which mirrored the flood levels of the river'.

The 'Police Cycling Test' was modelled on cavalry mounted sabre drills. Operating a police whistle 'at the gallop', Emergency actions on finding the brake blocks missing coming down Norbury Hill, and 'Tilting at hoops with extended truncheon at the charge'. If there was a gobby probby (know-it-all) he/she would get to do it under fire (the garage hands water hose for washing the cars)

Alas, all of the above are now classed as gross misconduct and bullying
The one we had was duty in in the “crime radar room”.

Extra pax would work. Rear facing seat. Was thinking bench seat for comfort and it could take two but pedal layout would be tricky. Bucket/flat padded seat better. Those skinny ball destroyer bicycle seats would put off those with back and hip issues. Perhaps a tractor type seat on a leaf spring, similar to the vaaljapie/Ferguson tractors.
'side by side' or 'social bikes'. e.g. Side-by-side tandems

I volunteered with a park ride club that took people around the countryside on that sort of thing.
Not load carrying, but there was one that the bloke's wheelchair slotted into. Most of the bikes were handmade by mechanics & we had to shut down because of the insurance :(

that wouldn't have been the kit manufactured by Whirlpool rather than Marconi, situated in a room that smelt strongly of washing powder?
No in those days there were still a few of the old blue boxes, which in fact were old booking sheds. They weren’t used any more but the scuttle butt (laughingly) was that there was going to be new tech to detect crime and they were looking for volunteers to man them.

@Lardbeast, maybe a good Nederlandse firm? Side-by-side tandems

An option for tourist stuff, possibly. The idea is to come up with something folks can use for maintenance and working around large areas where they'd otherwise walk, airports and factories, malls and so on. Same design with a few add on options for families, fitness, vendors.

An option for tourist stuff, possibly. The idea is to come up with something folks can use for maintenance and working around large areas where they'd otherwise walk, airports and factories, malls and so on. Same design with a few add on options for families, fitness, vendors.
Some of those Vanraam's have add-ons, that accessible cycling site had examples and some interesting engineering.

I saw a very interesting pedal cycle at the Kent (motor)Bike show. alu 'fill in' of the space in the frame with dividers in it, panniers, , top tube tray, looked very Dan Dare.

Alpkit.com do fabric bike luggage that is a bit similar, for many pennies!

Some of those Vanraam's have add-ons, that accessible cycling site had examples and some interesting engineering.

I saw a very interesting pedal cycle at the Kent (motor)Bike show. alu 'fill in' of the space in the frame with dividers in it, panniers, , top tube tray, looked very Dan Dare.

Alpkit.com do fabric bike luggage that is a bit similar, for many pennies!
Eagle walt.

Another thing I encourage e-scooterists (is that actually a word ?) to wear. makes them harder to see and,an easy target for motorised vehicles to hit !

I myself, when riding my bicycle,wear a range of brightly coloured, reflective clothing !

When once asked by this 'drone' dressed in black, why I wore such colourful clothing (He didn't make the correlation between being seen and not dying), my answer was "because I can carry it off",he walked away none the wiser ! ;-)

Because it was freezing on Friday I was wearing a black quilted jacked on my bike ride, my bike is also black, it does have printed on reflective arm bands. I didn't get any more close passes than usual though.

Because it was freezing on Friday I was wearing a black quilted jacked on my bike ride, my bike is also black, it does have printed on reflective arm bands. I didn't get any more close passes than usual though.
That's because you were in their blind spot...they only clear enough windscreen to see ahead to get going, normally about 1' square ! ;-)

How high are the armbands above the road? 4-5 ft?
Next time you are in a car, see where the light falls.
Get some anklets.

Or stop riding a bike - bike are for kids.

How high are the armbands above the road? 4-5 ft?
Next time you are in a car, see where the light falls.
Get some anklets.

Or stop riding a bike - bike are for kids.
I was wearing light grey running trousers with a reflective patch. In darkness they would have seen my lights and the bikes reflector Cat's-eye light flashing at the back, it's more in murky, overcast dusk and dawn you don't register to drivers.

I was wearing light grey running trousers with a reflective patch. In darkness they would have seen my lights and the bikes reflector Cat's-eye light flashing at the back, it's more in murky, overcast dusk and dawn you don't register to drivers.
Light grey? you mean - 'same colour as fog'?
Get some of those dayglo yellow ron hills. You may look like a twat, but better than being bumped.

Light grey? you mean - 'same colour as fog'?
Get some of those dayglo yellow ron hills. You may look like a twat, but better than being bumped.
With reflective parts, and I don't cycle if it's foggy.

Gen question: are those flashing bicycle lights strictly legal, and do they help you see where you're going?

When I was a kid, I had 2 lights front and rear. A dynamo (seriously bright front lamp, better than the headlamp on my first motorbike) and a battery lamp for when the dynamo wasn't operating).

Gen question: are those flashing bicycle lights strictly legal, and do they help you see where you're going?

When I was a kid, I had 2 lights front and rear. A dynamo (seriously bright front lamp, better than the headlamp on my first motorbike) and a battery lamp for when the dynamo wasn't operating).
Flashing lights (emitting not less than 4 candelas) were allowed after an amendment in 2005.

I don't think they would help the rider see any better, but the flashing effect does tend (in my opinion) to draw the attention of other road users.

Latest Threads