Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

I'm not a sweaty, so have no horse in this race.

Some firms will doubtless take their business elsewhere. Do I care where they go, no I don't. Neither does Edinburgh City Council it would seem. Their loss and some small nearby town's gain.

You only have to look at the number of cities that have vacant office space that, post-covid and the new normal of working from home, will never get tenants, further damaging the economy of city centres. A CAZ just makes a city centre even less attractive to a firm. Why have a big expensive city centre office/shop that you/your customer then have to pay the CAZ charge to access, when you can rent an office/shop elsewhere with no CAZ and possibly cheaper rates.
Again, you miss the point. There are no cities anywhere near Edinburgh. The closest is Glasgow, and frankly, the chances of a company relocating to Glasgow on the basis of the marginal increase in inconvenience of an LEZ is close to, if not actually equal to zero.

I am not in favour of this by any means, and my vehicle would be affected being a 2014 plate diesel, but I can see why they think that they will not lose out substantially with this.

Again, you miss the point. There are no cities anywhere near Edinburgh. The closest is Glasgow, and frankly, the chances of a company relocating to Glasgow on the basis of the marginal increase in inconvenience of an LEZ is close to, if not actually equal to zero.

I am not in favour of this by any means, and my vehicle would be affected being a 2014 plate diesel, but I can see why they think that they will not lose out substantially with this.
It doesn't need to be a big city, so long as the new business park/shopping mall/etc. is just outside Edinburgh's boundary. Plenty of places like that surely? Neighbouring authorities should be slavering at the prospect of new business rate payers.

It doesn't need to be a big city, so long as the new business park/shopping mall/etc. is just outside Edinburgh's boundary. Plenty of places like that surely? Neighbouring authorities should be slavering at the prospect of new business rate payers.
Well, there’s Livingston, which has had an established Mall competing with central Edinburgh for the last 20 years. Any business planning on relocating there has already done so.
With restricted and expensive parking, central Edinburgh has held its own so far. The LEZ will be an additional aggravation for some but I think it will be marginal.

Well, there’s Livingston, which has had an established Mall competing with central Edinburgh for the last 20 years. Any business planning on relocating there has already done so.
With restricted and expensive parking, central Edinburgh has held its own so far. The LEZ will be an additional aggravation for some but I think it will be marginal.
Plus all of the increased costs for the tourist coaches, sighseeing buses etc. will just get passed on in the ticket prices.

clanky

War Hero
I'm just back from Larne again. In the interests of fairness, there was a big group of cyclists in some sort of red and black club outfit on the Larne Road. Gotta say, they were great. They were going at a fair clip, and changed to single file to let cars past.
Both the clubs I cycle with operate a very strict set of guidelines regarding road etiquette. These are laid down by the governing body, and a club doesn't get recognised by British Cycling if it doesn't sign up to them.

Ah Clean Air Zones, the latest planet saving idea. Depending on the exact type, vehicles of certain classes pay for the privilege of driving into town/city W to carry out business or otherwise enhance town/city W's economy. Which is fine except if the neighbouring town/city X, Y and Z don't have a CAZ, businesses and shoppers will go there instead. Town/city W achieves it's planet saving improvement in air quality but finds it's economy shafted. Charity shops and bookies abound - yay for town/city W Council, well done.

Town/city X, Y and Z are laughing all the way to the bank.

Has anyone pointed out to them the effects of gentle zephyrs blowing the exhalations of towns X, Y and Z around, very possibly into the shiny CAZ of town W?

1623573562189.png

So, you have no suggestions as to where companies may relocate to outside of Edinburgh. This was exactly my point as to the councils possible reasoning. There is no obvious location.

They don't have to leave Edinburgh. They just have to find a location that's outside of the fresh air zone. There are already two retail parks at Straiton and the Gyle. Some will move there, if space is available(and if the demand is high enough, the retail parks will expand). Other businesses will simply go to the wall; the centre of Edinburgh was already a very expensive place to run a business, even before this.

Not that the council will care, of course, as long as they can play out their pathetic green fantasies. Edinburgh councillors are the dregs. People so retarded, lazy and useless they couldn't even get elected to Holyrood... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They don't have to leave Edinburgh. They just have to find a location that's outside of the fresh air zone. There already two retail parks at Straiton and the Gyle. Some will move there. Others will simply go to the wall; the centre of Edinburgh was already a very expensive place to run a business, even before this.
I was suprised at how reasonable some of the pubs were last time I was there. It seemed to be down to luck if they charged tourist prices or not as the pubs all looked pretty similar in the centre.

Both the clubs I cycle with operate a very strict set of guidelines regarding road etiquette. These are laid down by the governing body, and a club doesn't get recognised by British Cycling if it doesn't sign up to them.

That's very interesting. You may know "The Biker Nod" It's maybe a Northern Ireland thing: motorcyclists will give a wee dip of the head when they see another biker.

The cyclists I saw yesterday were excellent road users. Hats Off. I got the Thumbs Up as I passed. Couple of girls in the pack, too.

Last edited:
Horses. Horses are a bit mad, Ted, My cousin is an award winning person who does dressage (the horses)

Said up-thread. Horses are very unpredictable. I always pass at low RPM, just cruise past.

Parking charges in central Edinburgh have been extremely high for some some time. So much so, that I generally avoid driving there in any case. The proposed LEZ won’t have much effect on me for that very reason although my car falls into the category of those that would be barred.
I used to park at Murrayfield and walk or get the bus in. Does the LEZ go out that far?

clanky

War Hero
Aren't the CAZ/LEZs being brought in to comply with upcoming air quality regulations? If so then surely local councils won't have much choice.

Who_Dat

Clanker
You may know "The Biker Nod" It's maybe a Northern Ireland thing: motorcyclists will give a wee dip of the head when they see another biker.

Serious bikers in France will show appreciation to motorists who move as far as they can to the right of the road to let them pass by taking their right foot of the footrest and extending it. Not so much the scrotes who scream about on tiny two-strokes.

I used to park at Murrayfield and walk or get the bus in. Does the LEZ go out that far?
No. It’s only the City Centre core.
@Werewolf is correct, the shopping centres at the Gyle, Cameron Toll etc., won’t be affected.
On the odd occasion that I have to go into the City Centre, I park at Ingliston and get the tram. I’ll have to find a different route to Edinburgh Bicycle Coop, though, as even though Bruntsfield wont be in it, there is a small bit of the Western Approach Rd at the junction with Lothian Rd that will be.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Back on thread.

This sort of stuff really isn't acceptable in the 21st century (not the cyclist, the tw4t in the 4x4):

Cardiff cyclist confronts driver who sexually harassed her​

A cyclist who confronted a man after he shouted lewd comments out of his car at her has spoken of the barrage of daily harassment faced by women.
Nanw Beard was cycling in Cardiff when the driver pulled up alongside her and said her "backside was going to cause an accident".

So from now on we have to give cycles a wide berth - sorted! I now identify as a cycle, so everyone at work can give me a wide berth! XD

TamH70

MIA
So from now on we have to give cycles a wide berth - sorted! I now identify as a cycle, so everyone at work can give me a wide berth! XD

I identify as Budgie the Little Helicopter, so my berth'll be a lot wider than yours will.

Latest Threads