Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

So if a cyclist bent on suicide goes up the blind side of a lorry are you still allowed to drive over them & help them to met the 72 virgins they are promised in cycling world magazine. Oh hang on its always the drivers fault every time.
Nah, some cyclists are just knobheads. Big trucks have the right of way.
Perhaps ALL cyclists should have to take & pass a test before going out on the Queens Highway.
After all most other users do apart from London licenced private taxi's a deliverdoo drivers who dont.
Sure, go for it. Also new drivers should not be allowed to drive anything that exceeds a 60mph or bigger than 0.9ltr engine size.

You can't train "Common sense". A knobhead will be a knobhead regardless of what the drive/ride.

SK

Now then I will admit that, two abreast on a busy road, is not the smartest thing cyclists do.
Sadly it gets bad, she hits the Asphalt hard. Not pretty!
You Tube - Hard landing

You Tube - WTF! Attempted murder??
SK
It is of course the correct way to ride when there’s more than one of you as started in the Highway Code
Riding in single file means traffic should still give plenty of room when passing, so you end up with a longer distance on the wrong side of the road to overtake a line of single cyclists making a more dangerous manoeuvre with a lot get wait for gaps in oncoming traffic
alternatively you don’t give any space stating in the lane pushing cyclists into the gutter, or in the video a couple of posts above, not paying any attention and just ramming into cyclists

So if a cyclist bent on suicide goes up the blind side of a lorry are you still allowed to drive over them & help them to met the 72 virgins they are promised in cycling world magazine. Oh hang on its always the drivers fault every time.

Perhaps ALL cyclists should have to take & pass a test before going out on the Queens Highway.
After all most other users do apart from London licenced private taxi's a deliverdoo drivers who dont.
You aren’t allowed to drive into people in any circumstances. It will depend on what happened.
For example if you hit a cyclist who goes into the blind spot on a corner as a lorry is turning then it will depend on if you were paying attention.

For example the cyclist who was killed just like that was treated as an accidental death.
Her mother became a shareholder of the company that owned the lorry so that she could speak at their AGM. This resulted in them bringing in all available safety measures across their fleet with barriers to avoid falling under, cameras around the vehicle etc. She continued to campaign for vehicle & cycle safety and (not necessarily due to her) these measures are now the norm rather than the exception.

I'm just back from Larne again. In the interests of fairness, there was a big group of cyclists in some sort of red and black club outfit on the Larne Road. Gotta say, they were great. They were going at a fair clip, and changed to single file to let cars past.

The bicycle is the slow death of our planet

The CEO of Euro-Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:

"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he doesn't buy cars and doesn't borrow money to buy it. He does not pay insurance policies. Does not buy fuel, no costs related to maintenance and repair. He does not use paid parking. The cyclist does not cause serious accidents. No multi-lane highways required. They don't get fat."

"Healthy people are neither necessary nor useful to the economy. They do not buy medicines. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. They add nothing to the country's GDP."

On the contrary, each new McDonald outlet creates at least 30 jobs, since they work 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietitians and nutritionists, and of course the people who work in the store".

Choose carefully: cycling or McDonald?

Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy a bike.

City of Edinburgh Council carries out a consolation on regards to their Spaces for People measures such as bollards etc. 60% of respondents tell the council to jog on. Surprising absolutely no one, the council ignore the expressed wishes of the people who pay their wages and decree the measures will stay in place for at least another eighteen months. And just to add insult to injury, they've announced a new clean air initiative which will see older vehicles banned from the city centre. With fines up to £900 for those who disobey.

These retards need to understand that actions have consequences. Polis Scotland have recently closed an investigation, without anyone being charged, into the fire-bombing of one Scottish councillor who annoyed the wrong people...

I don’t pull out around pavements, why should I pull out around lycaistes in their own lane?

top tip for Bradley Wiggins wannabes, keep to the f’ing left in the cycle Lane, don’t play ‘taking The road’ on the right hand line.... 1.5 tonnes of steel wins the game of lycra, bone, 4x4 every time

Given a choice of swerving into a head on with another vehicle or Nerfing the t@t on a bike bigging himself up against the cars and swerving out in front of me to dodge a manhole cover to protect his precious lycra clad derriere.....

Rule 1 of the Cyclists Highway Code

keep out of the way of and give way to cars, The Car is ALWAYS right, you may be technically in tbe right, but you will always be dead right.
All I see from this dribble is that not only do you not understand the Highway Code, there is a strong suspicion that you have never even read it.

City of Edinburgh Council carries out a consolation on regards to their Spaces for People measures such as bollards etc. 60% of respondents tell the council to jog on. Surprising absolutely no one, the council ignore the expressed wishes of the people who pay their wages and decree the measures will stay in place for at least another eighteen months. And just to add insult to injury, they've announced a new clean air initiative which will see older vehicles banned from the city centre. With fines up to £900 for those who disobey.

These retards need to understand that actions have consequences. Polis Scotland have recently closed an investigation, without anyone being charged, into the fire-bombing of one Scottish councillor who annoyed the wrong people...
Ah Clean Air Zones, the latest planet saving idea. Depending on the exact type, vehicles of certain classes pay for the privilege of driving into town/city W to carry out business or otherwise enhance town/city W's economy. Which is fine except if the neighbouring town/city X, Y and Z don't have a CAZ, businesses and shoppers will go there instead. Town/city W achieves it's planet saving improvement in air quality but finds it's economy shafted. Charity shops and bookies abound - yay for town/city W Council, well done.

Town/city X, Y and Z are laughing all the way to the bank.

Ah Clean Air Zones, the latest planet saving idea. Depending on the exact type, vehicles of certain classes pay for the privilege of driving into town/city W to carry out business or otherwise enhance town/city W's economy. Which is fine except if the neighbouring town/city X, Y and Z don't have a CAZ, businesses and shoppers will go there instead. Town/city W achieves it's planet saving improvement in air quality but finds it's economy shafted. Charity shops and bookies abound - yay for town/city W Council, well done.

I would suspect that Edinburgh City, sorry, The City of Edinburgh Council, believes that they have no neighbours offering similar levels of amenities.

anglo

LE

Parking charges have ruined most towns already, these are just finishing the job

I would suspect that Edinburgh City, sorry, The City of Edinburgh Council, believes that they have no neighbours offering similar levels of amenities.
Yet. Wait until businesses up sticks and say "Byeeee" to Edinburgh...

Parking charges have ruined most towns already, these are just finishing the job
Parking charges in central Edinburgh have been extremely high for some some time. So much so, that I generally avoid driving there in any case. The proposed LEZ won’t have much effect on me for that very reason although my car falls into the category of those that would be barred.

To go where?
Wherever there isn't a CAZ their customers have to pay to access them. Neighbouring authorities should be looking to make their area attractive to firms moving out and to shoppers dodging Edinburgh. Bath has just implemented a CAZ - the next few years there may be interesting, in the Chinese way.

Wherever there isn't a CAZ their customers have to pay to access them. Neighbouring authorities should be looking to make their area attractive to firms moving out and to shoppers dodging Edinburgh. Bath has just implemented a CAZ - the next few years there may be interesting, in the Chinese way.
So, you have no suggestions as to where companies may relocate to outside of Edinburgh. This was exactly my point as to the councils possible reasoning. There is no obvious location.

So, you have no suggestions as to where companies may relocate to outside of Edinburgh. This was exactly my point as to the councils possible reasoning. There is no obvious location.
I'm not a sweaty, so have no horse in this race.

Some firms will doubtless take their business elsewhere. Do I care where they go, no I don't. Neither does Edinburgh City Council it would seem. Their loss and some small nearby town's gain.

You only have to look at the number of cities that have vacant office space that, post-covid and the new normal of working from home, will never get tenants, further damaging the economy of city centres. A CAZ just makes a city centre even less attractive to a firm. Why have a big expensive city centre office/shop that you/your customer then have to pay the CAZ charge to access, when you can rent an office/shop elsewhere with no CAZ and possibly cheaper rates.