Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

This year, UJC and Birmingham hippodrome. I was in Manchester beginning of the week and regularly drive round Nottingham. I have more issues with ******** car drivers than cyclists.

You’re about 300 years old. Are you sure you’re fit to drive?

We all do, as there are more of them than cyclists.
It seems that its you that have the issues, as I have been driving for 48 years, and apart from the usual prats, normal jogging. I lived and worked in london for 20+years, and regularly travel into Birmingham, both need a different mind-set than from where we live now, out in the semi rural sticks of south Staffordshire.

Have we got a full house yet? Can someone shout HOUSE when we have the full set of cyclist stereotypes?
Having had a particularly vicious encounter recently with a lycra-clad arrsehole, who screamed abuse and gesticulated at us in a most uncouth manner, as I had the temerity to be on a narrow lane and he was pretending to be an Exocet seeking the arrsehole of the mamil in front of him (the "cycling club" were going downhill round blind bends at speeds that I wouldn't try in a car and had already narrowly missed me), I suspect I can come up with quite a few stereotypes.

He was your average cnut, full of self entitlement and bile, but fortunately, The Good Lady (the victim of much of his vile behaviour) rang the club chairman who has now expelled said lycra-clad arrsehole (he had form, apparently). So, in the tradition of Monty Python, he is an ex-mamil, he's nailed to his pedals... (in your own good time...)

What happens if a gay white man on a bicycle is abused by a trans black man for nearly knocking down a disabled lesbian?

Then it be "on yer bike, you dyke" lol

Problem up here in sunny Oxbridge the cyclist is the bane of all us motorists and pedestrians

3/4 cyclists do not

-wear high viz at night or in bad viz

- le alone use bike lights again with the above

- signal properly

- on headphones thinking they are kings and queens on the road and untouchable unbreakable

- cycle en mass as in 2/34 rows across street....locals blame foreign EFL students easter onwards but I have seen local schoolkids and adults do it all year around esepcially one time 4am june deacde and half ago - driving down in the city hospital into Long Road (leads to Trumpington). Anyhow drving over first bridge and I am the only one as it seems ...hell no - 6 teenagers riding bike across with one hand as the other hand held fishing rods...probably off to Grantechester meadows for early morning fish. They could hear me and I deliberately slowed down so give them a chance to fall back into single file. Did they hell, so I had to overtake and got abuse shouted at me.

I got kncoked off my feet / unplanned take off manuever at uni while walking to the railway station, over 2 decades ago. Matey had come hurtling out of a moss covered footpath with not lights and it was pitch black....but he actually apologised and helped me up.

Cheers

Having had a particularly vicious encounter recently with a lycra-clad arrsehole, who screamed abuse and gesticulated at us in a most uncouth manner, as I had the temerity to be on a narrow lane and he was pretending to be an Exocet seeking the arrsehole of the mamil in front of him (the "cycling club" were going downhill round blind bends at speeds that I wouldn't try in a car and had already narrowly missed me), I suspect I can come up with quite a few stereotypes.

He was your average cnut, full of self entitlement and bile, but fortunately, The Good Lady (the victim of much of his vile behaviour) rang the club chairman who has now expelled said lycra-clad arrsehole (he had form, apparently). So, in the tradition of Monty Python, he is an ex-mamil, he's nailed to his pedals... (in your own good time...)

my car has very ‘enthusiastic’ headlamp wash System.
I find a good wash of the headlamps as you pass a gesticulating entitled clown can be most entertaining.

Cycling groups have been trying to get a ‘guilty until proven innocent’ default setting for motorists for years.
If this new hierarchy comes into effect does this means that the no cycling on the pavement law will actually be enforced or will cyclists still be free range targets?

TamH70

MIA
(Snipped a lot of stuff I either agree with or find non-controversial)

They say the word 'accident' should be banned in reports of crashes – even though 'road traffic accident' is the legal term recognised by police and courts.

I take it you have never watched the documentary film, "Hot Fuzz", and this scene in particular?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
it's just over three years since I penned this missive -

An Ode To London Cyclists -

I hope you all get run over
I hope it fcuking hurts
You lycra clad shower of w@nkers

- fin -

seriously - in over a decade of working in central london I've been almost run over far more by some tit on a bike than I have by anyone else. they treat red lights as a warning to everyone else they're coming through at full speed and then act all aggrieved when people call them out for the inconsiderate cnuts the majority of them seem to be. fcuk them. ride like a cnut, don't be surprised when you either get treated like one or come off worse when you try and take the p1ss with a ten ton lorry. cnuts all.

dear cnuts-

1601591542927.png

in this modern world of the cyclist having cameras, any motorist involved in collision with cyclist should always stop.....

& ensure any cameras are removed from the corpse.

You must be a very bad driver. I would say I am about average.

I drive, cycle and ride motorbikes. I've never felt stressed driving where there are plenty of cyclists - and I live / drive in London.

Some are pricks; most aren't. Much like car drivers. All you have to do is use your eyes and be considerate of other road users. It's not difficult.

I live in West London but my experience is London wide because I have a son who was until recently living in East London and I visited him fairly regularly.

I’ve been driving since 1976 and apart from probably three small shunts over the years where only one of them was my fault, I’ve got a blemish free driving record and all those were well over twenty years ago now.

My driving is fine.

You on the other hand must be extremely lucky because it’s clear that you aren’t paying attention to what’s going on around you.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
This would be laughable if it didn't have the support of some powerful voices, including a media regulator. As you might expect it involves the Guardian, a far left union and some batshit academics.

Campaigners are trying to ban the use of the term 'Lycra louts' to describe speeding cyclists – and stop people poking fun at them.

Under proposed media guidelines, abuse of cyclists would be treated as a 'hate crime' and they would get the same protection as domestic violence victims and refugees.

Newspapers would also be gagged from stating if an injured cyclist was not wearing a helmet or high-vis clothing.

Instead, they would be urged to shame 'criminal' motorists for accidents involving bicycles.

The campaign is backed by Impress, a state-approved regulator funded indirectly by millionaire former Formula 1 boss Max Mosley's family charity.

The guidelines were drawn up by the University of Westminster, the National Union of Journalists, road safety charities and other experts.

They say the word 'accident' should be banned in reports of crashes – even though 'road traffic accident' is the legal term recognised by police and courts.

The 'Road Collision Reporting Guidelines' say cyclists are 'dehumanised' by media coverage which is in favour of speeding motorists. When a cyclist was in an accident with a car, the media should state they had been 'hit by a driver, not a car'.

The report also questions the use of the word 'cyclist' itself, arguing it 'can engender negative connotations'.

Under the code, cyclists who claim they have been insulted will be able to make formal complaints on the grounds that it 'provoked hatred'.

The report was written by Westminster University 'Active Travel Academy', including Laura Laker, who writes on cycling for The Guardian, and Adam Tranter, the 'bicycle mayor for Coventry'.

Dealing with cyc;lists should be a bloodsport with a large free fire zone, scum one and all.

Awol

LE
I've had just one incident recently involving some TurboTwat on a bike. He was initially causing me no trouble, primarily because he was joyously speeding along the pavement parallel to me, oblivious to rules, other people and common sense.

Then, probably having already left a suicide note somewhere, he just, without even glancing over his shoulder, pulled out into the road right in front of me.

For a split second I didn't brake and genuinely thought about hitting him off, nothing serious, we were travelling at about the same speed, but just a hard nudge, enough to destroy his 'machine', cause him some bruises and maybe a small fracture.

I could have done it, and got away with it; there were enough witnesses that saw him blindly pull out in front of me, just inches from my bumper at about twenty miles an hour.

Instead, instinct kicked in and I braked hard and missed him. I did the obligatory long blast on the horn and a single fingered salute, unfortunately I was on my way to a job interview and didn't have the time to do anything else, but I was almost trembling with rage for the next half an hour.

They're all self-entitled bastards.*

PS I like the idea of turning the headlight washer nozzle ninety degrees so it points to the left. Oodles of fun and totally deniable.

*Edit...... except my fine friend @Ortholith, obviously.

Last edited:

Latest Threads