Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Abusing cyclists to be made a hate crime?

Being deliberately obtuse run in the family then, does it ?
You claimed that no cyclist rides on the pavement for their safety. I gave an example where the cyclist did ride on the pavement as it was safer. I'm not sure what issue you're having with this.

Edit - just seen your edit.
RoofRat said:
I regularly ride around a multi-lane 5 exit roundabout, 3 of which are dual carriageways, I maintain lane discipline...
Yep, I exercise lane discipline and would normally go on the roundabout. I decided not to tonight due to being later than usual and therefore in Friday rush hour when it had just stopped raining.

Having considered things I reckoned the extra 30 seconds waiting at a pelican (possibly toucan) crossing was worth the reduction in risk of being splatted. Seeing a cyclist get hit by a car in the same place last year helped me come to that conclusion.

RoofRat said:
All I can say is keep pussyfooting around, I'll keep exercising my right to ride where I'm allowed and keep other road users...honest !
You call it pussyfooting around, I call it mitigating risk. It doesn't change the fact that some cyclists ride on the pavement as it is safer than being on the road in some situations.

Last edited:
And, the other few million ? You really don't get any of the irony or,hypocrisy ?

Publish a photo purporting to be a cyclist ignoring a cycle path, make remarks about cyclists on the road and then, we find out you've been riding on pavements for years but,can't see the harm, because you're careful and,they do it on the continent.

AWESOME! :rolleyes:

Bye,Bye.

oh dear, has reality burst your nouvaux lycraiste bubble?

what do you do when you see these paths? Get off and walk?
6767395C-4F04-4A19-9DC8-7DD4384AAC2D.jpeg

Looks like we can add cycling to the list of subjects that @PhotEx has furiously googled, and failed to understand.

NSP

LE
oh dear, has reality burst your nouvaux lycraiste bubble?

what do you do when you see these paths? Get off and walk?
View attachment 510995
You said that you cycle on the "pavement" which to a reasonable native British English speaker references a pedestrian footway, on which it is naughty in the site of the judiciary to cycle.

Ways marked with that sign are not pedestrian footways but combined foot- and cyclepaths, designated for both purposes.

You also failed to include a critical apostrophe:-

Whats your issue with riding on pavements?
Its very much the norm dans le continente

You said that you cycle on the "pavement" which to a reasonable native British English speaker references a pedestrian footway, on which it is naughty in the site of the judiciary to cycle.

Ways marked with that sign are not pedestrian footways but combined foot- and cyclepaths, designated for both purposes.

You also failed to include a critical apostrophe:-

dear chap, I’d moved on from pavements, pedestrian, to pavements, shared to show him that mixing cycles and pedestrians wasn't unleashing some two wheeled weapon of pedestrian mass destruction. it’s really easy to cycle on a pavement when pedestrians are on it, just ride slower and with more care.
a reasonable chap would have followed that narrative.

All lycra clad pedalling mentallists should be rounded up, strapped too pallets and set ablaze A'la 12th of July in Belfast.

With Bradley Wiggins perched on the very top.

All lycra clad pedalling mentallists should be rounded up, strapped too pallets and set ablaze A'la 12th of July in Belfast.

With Bradley Wiggins perched on the very top.
I'm assuming you're force feeding Mr Wiggins his sideburns before sticking him on top?

NSP

LE
dear chap, I’d moved on from pavements, pedestrian, to pavements, shared to show him that mixing cycles and pedestrians wasn't unleashing some two wheeled weapon of pedestrian mass destruction. it’s really easy to cycle on a pavement when pedestrians are on it, just ride slower and with more care.
a reasonable chap would have followed that narrative.
Bullshit.

the moron who stops on a main road to let a 'mummy and kid' cross the road,
So a considerate motorist looking out for those around them.......? would you ever stop to let a pedestrian cross the road ?

Brake testing only works if the person following is not giving enough room to stop safely so leave more room.... I have huge multi piston disc brakes you have puny little centre pull rim brakes or at best little discs so who's braking distance is shorter ? Don't tailgate or slip stream vehicles.

As in all things the moderate, sensible people who employ common sense form 99% of both cyclists and drivers ,
the other 1 % are doing their best to annoy the other 99% and in so doing creating a bigger and bigger issue...

I sit both sides of the divide as I both cycle for recreation mainly on a MTB nowadays because by backs knackered so need full suss and upright riding position and also spend a fair proportion of my working days driving an assortment of vehicles from 4x4's upwards .... I see bad driving and behaviour from both sides and also see more drivers with anti cyclist behaviour when on the rare occasion I got out on my road bike....this leads me to conclude that the Lycra louts are contributing to the issue's they complain about ....it's a vicious circle...

Instead of keeping a truck behind them for 2 miles as they cycle in their pretend pelleton why not let him pass quickly and get on with work....when you come up behind him again at traffic lights wait patiently behind him don't ride past on both sides and get in front again so he or her then has to wait for another 2 miles before they can safely pass yet again ? If they start to behave with consideration it will come their way too .

I always give a thank you wave and thumbs up to motorists who are considerate and if I have more than a few cars behind pull over and let them pass ...I'm only riding for fun so a few seconds makes no odds to me but fosters good feeling with other road users.... most horse riders learnt this lesson years ago .... cyclists V Horse is a whole other situation with the lycra louts in serious need of education and consideration when passing horses , another section of society they seem hell bent on pissing off ....... why just why ? no horse rider ever close passed a cyclist or brake tested them...or indeed did anything other than had the audacity to be riding a horse on a public road where team lycra pelleton wanted to pretend they were on a stage of the tour .....

So a considerate motorist looking out for those around them.......? would you ever stop to let a pedestrian cross the road ?

Brake testing only works if the person following is not giving enough room to stop safely so leave more room.... I have huge multi piston disc brakes you have puny little centre pull rim brakes or at best little discs so who's braking distance is shorter ? Don't tailgate or slip stream vehicles.

As in all things the moderate, sensible people who employ common sense form 99% of both cyclists and drivers ,
the other 1 % are doing their best to annoy the other 99% and in so doing creating a bigger and bigger issue...

I sit both sides of the divide as I both cycle for recreation mainly on a MTB nowadays because by backs knackered so need full suss and upright riding position and also spend a fair proportion of my working days driving an assortment of vehicles from 4x4's upwards .... I see bad driving and behaviour from both sides and also see more drivers with anti cyclist behaviour when on the rare occasion I got out on my road bike....this leads me to conclude that the Lycra louts are contributing to the issue's they complain about ....it's a vicious circle...

Instead of keeping a truck behind them for 2 miles as they cycle in their pretend pelleton why not let him pass quickly and get on with work....when you come up behind him again at traffic lights wait patiently behind him don't ride past on both sides and get in front again so he or her then has to wait for another 2 miles before they can safely pass yet again ? If they start to behave with consideration it will come their way too .

I always give a thank you wave and thumbs up to motorists who are considerate and if I have more than a few cars behind pull over and let them pass ...I'm only riding for fun so a few seconds makes no odds to me but fosters good feeling with other road users.... most horse riders learnt this lesson years ago .... cyclists V Horse is a whole other situation with the lycra louts in serious need of education and consideration when passing horses , another section of society they seem hell bent on pissing off ....... why just why ? no horse rider ever close passed a cyclist or brake tested them...or indeed did anything other than had the audacity to be riding a horse on a public road where team lycra pelleton wanted to pretend they were on a stage of the tour .....
Oh dear,if you had bothered to read all my posts about the incident,you would have noted I said there was nothing behind me so, if the idiot had been using her rearview mirrors she would have noted (hopefully) that there was no need for her or I to stop. 5 seconds and the road would have been clear for the pedestrian to cross. I managed to stop after she literally slammed everything on at the last minute...mainly because I don't have "puny centre pull rim brakes", she also didn't know I was there, behind her in a very bright flourescent jacket, observation at it's finest ! :rolleyes:

I don’t condone criminal damage, however, as has been mentioned several times, it the vehicle is within reach, it’s far too close. What small part of a drivers brain says “use that cyclist as a crumple zone to prevent my paint getting scratched/prevent my journey being 10secs longer/etc”? Driving along a stretch of road last week, in 300m I counted a dozen cars parked in a cycle lane, no doubt these same muppets would complain bitterly at having to wait 15sec to overtake safely.
There is no legal requirement to pass at a metre only a recommendation so you are acting as judge and jury....

I agree that cyclists should be given space....many of the incidents of criminal damage committed by lycra louts are committed not at the time of the pass.... but at the next set of lights so premediated ....the cyclist has deliberately attacked the vehicle that according to them had passed "too close" .... never defensible.... no different from a thug who keys a vehicle or smashes a shop window.... just a lout on a bike who perceives they were wronged and commits a crime ........not sure how that helps cycling's cause or image with the public or motorists ......?

Oh dear,if you had bothered to read all my posts about the incident,you would have noted I said there was nothing behind me so, if the idiot had been using her rearview mirrors she would have noted (hopefully) that there was no need for her or I to stop. 5 seconds and the road would have been clear for the pedestrian to cross. I managed to stop after she literally slammed everything on at the last minute...mainly because I don't have "puny centre pull rim brakes", she also didn't know I was there, behind her in a very bright flourescent jacket, observation at it's finest ! :rolleyes:

‘the other bloke stopped too quick’ doesn't work with the feds or the insurance companies.

you are liable if you run into the vehicle in front - because - you were too close.

The Highway Code (para. 126),
you should drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.
You should leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops.

Known fact females mainly use rear view mirror for applying make up.....she stopped , you were at a safe distance and had a fright but stopped safely....what's the drama ? part of using the roads today is the fact you have to drive assuming every other driver is going to do something silly at any time , only way to stay sane is not to get worked up about it when they do .
BTW ...noticed some of the road bikes now using discs.... seems to have taken a long time for that tech to be adopted by those that need it most....

BTW ...noticed some of the road bikes now using discs.... seems to have taken a long time for that tech to be adopted by those that need it most....
In my experience disc brakes don't offer a significant benefit over well set up V brakes unless you're going down borderline vertical hills.

In my experience disc brakes don't offer a significant benefit over well set up V brakes unless you're going down borderline vertical hills.
On my MTB they work way better than those on the road bike but are twin pot ones ....I thought it was probably a weight issue what with bigger hubs needed etc....

There is no legal requirement to pass at a metre only a recommendation so you are acting as judge and jury....

I agree that cyclists should be given space....many of the incidents of criminal damage committed by lycra louts are committed not at the time of the pass.... but at the next set of lights so premediated ....the cyclist has deliberately attacked the vehicle that according to them had passed "too close" .... never defensible.... no different from a thug who keys a vehicle or smashes a shop window.... just a lout on a bike who perceives they were wronged and commits a crime ........not sure how that helps cycling's cause or image with the public or motorists ......?
Agreed, The Highway Code is a bit woolly re: distances. “As much as you would give a car..” and “... plenty of room...” are open to interpretation. Retribution at the next set of lights for a perceived slight is rarely appropriate, though summary justice for a deliberate act could be considered ‘karma’. It really boils down to patience, a tolerance and paying attention on all sides, something which seems to be sadly lacking for many road users.

A lot of cyclists with drivers' licences would benefit from an advanced driving/riding course, and studying the Roadcraft police drivers' handbook. A lot of stuff you thought was unpredictable can actually be seen developing a mile off, and usually the mistakes and bad habits of motorists you'll encounter become non-issues.

A driver ahead slams on the brakes? Not a problem, because I'm usually bumbling about in third gear - hardly ever needing to use the brake pedal - and I've already clocked the driving habits of all the other drivers, and all the developing hazards as far as I can see.

If you can do this, what you find is that everything from A to B flows smoothly, you'd be relaxed, and hardly anything you come across would bother you.

Latest Threads