Abuser leaves £400,000 to Guides

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BiscuitsAB, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Web Page Name

Ok lets see just how far moral outrage actually goes shall we :twisted:

will they take the money or will they have the moral fibre to turn it down?
  2. In his will, Forester-Smith left more than £1m to charity, including £312,291 each to Cancer Research UK and the Macmillan Nurses Cancer Association.

It will interesting to see if they accepted or not?
  3. Would you turn it down? I'd have their hand off as soon as it was offered, bathing in tenners.

They're bound to accept it. Although it will probably go to some sort of prevention/victim support for abused Guides scheme....................Either that or straight into Brown Owls sky rocket.
  4. I'd accept the £400K for a few moments of being roughly fingered by an older gent.
  5. I think they should take the money.

It's not as if he's going to reoffend.
  6. Why should they turn it down. The bequest is left in the name of his wife who, one assumes, had links to the organisation.

Even if it wasnt, can charitable organisations afford to turn down significant donations - I think not.
    And it is not as if he is still around to benefit in any way from an association with the organisation.

Non-issue here.
  7. It's a bequest, not hush money. Where does moral fibre come into it?

Still, if they don't want it...
  8. Probably why he married her in the first place...
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah so child abuse isn't so bad as long as you leave enough money on the sideboard when you clock off for the last time. Guess the Pope's going to be pleased to hear that then.
  10. I stand to be corrected but I believe a will is legally binding so, regardless of the beneficiary’s wishes, he/she/they has/have to accept the money otherwise the bequest goes to the next of kin.

If I am incorrect, then stand by for a legal battle which will consume the bequest anyway.
  11. 400pence'd do for me
  12. Surely there's money to be made by a middle man here - charge 10% to 'ethically launder' unsavoury money like this. Pretend it came from Corleone's restaurant chain or something. Everyone's a winner!
  13. Take the money.

It is in the name of his wife, maybe she asked for it to be donated.

He could be truely repentan of his crimes.

Top and bottom of it, the Guides are in the same predicament as the allies at the end of the war, when a huge slab of medical information was given to them. The info had been obtained by torturing Jews and other prisoners (you know, like dunking people in ice water until they died to see how long it took).

The medical info is/was not evil, merely the method of its gathering. Likewise this £400,000 is not evil. Merely he donating person. Perhaps it could be put in to bringing abused girls in to the guides, or educating the guides about such action.

Accepting the money does not mean the Guides change their motto to "we love nonces".
  14. as long as he took his rings off first mind you
  15. PM Sent and cheque in the post Neb! :lol: