Abu Qatada Can Be Deported

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archangel, Feb 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Abu Qatada Can Be Deported

At last a sensible ruling by the Law Lords... I certainly hope that nothing happens to the poor man back in Jordan!

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Nah, we've still got to keep him whilst he applies to the European Court.

It's not over yet.

3. Might have known it!! Just when you start to think that there may actually be evidence of intelligent life on Earth ... something always comes along to prove you wrong!

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

As I listed to this on the news item I went from joy (he's going!) to sadness (he's staying a bit longer) to despair (I bet we're paying for his legal bills and accommodation, and he will spin it out for months).

Maybe we could deport him to Jordan to run his case from there. I'm sure they'll be generous and hospitable, and wait patiently....

5. ....the European Court, which will no doubt find that his feelings may be hurt if he is deported to his native Jordan, so will find in favor of Abu Q......whatever happened to the good old days of a border actually being a border? How come the US and Australia seem able to control who they want in/out, yet we can't?

6. So, we can stop at the border a EU MP without so much as a by your leave, but let in and then hang on to a Jordanian cleric who is wanted on terror charges?

7. Just becaue he can be deported, doesn't mean he will be.

8. Its a bloody joke
    But the cnut on the Eurostar, dump him at Brussles while they debate his future.
    WTF is it to do with us where this vermin ends his days so long as it isn't here?

It really should be that simple, we don't want him. If Brussels is concerned for his wellbeing then they can look after the fooker while they figure it out.

9. what is actually worse, is that the Appeal Court actually found in HIS favour. the gov't had to re-arrest him and appeal to the Law Lords.

yet again, in Britain the Law demonstrates it is an ass!

10. The Government makes the law, the judiciary APPLY it. If the laws are so poorly drafted and scrutinised that a coach and horses can be driven through them (and a great deal of the vast amount of legislation passed over the last 12 years has been) then don't be surprised if that's what happens. Whilst I agree that some judge's interpretation of the law has been eyebrowraising to say the least, they are only applying the law AS IT IS WRITTEN. A case of shooting the monkey, not the organ grinder.

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

And I thought (poor logic I know) you would at least have to be a European.

12. I see the bleedin hearts of the human rights people are on the case, spouting their wet views on the news. Why are they so F*****G interested in the rights of this and other haters of the very country that keeps them? (rhetorical question). Who cares what happens to them when they are tossed out of the UK.

13. Grownup_Rafbrat

You poor deluded creature! Just look at the fuss we're making over a Somali in Gitmo, because he happened to stay here for a while before going to Pakistan for a 'holiday'.

All you need is a good lawyer ....

14. Oh dear... I now realise that I named this thread incorrectly. Clearly it should have been "HOPING THAT Abu Qatada Can Be Deported... but, knowing the English/ European judicial system, realising with a horrible inevitability that it would never happen!" (But that would probably have been a bit too long)

15. Unfortunately and i have little doubt his will be funded from legal aid :x