Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

absolute newbie :) - married quarters

Elainy

Crow
hi all,

as i am going to marry my fiance (who is to become an officer) and we are planning to move into married quarters i am wondering if anyone can tell me, what life is like there. it might be of interest, that i am german and not very used to military stuff at all...

thanks for your answers.

regards
elainy

Get your fience to take you round to one of his mates who has a quarter. You can see for yourself what its like then, and also the wife will probably be able to tell you everything you want to know.

Boney

Elainy said:
i am wondering if anyone can tell me, what life is like there.

It can be as good as you want it to be. Best thing you can do is keep an open mind, dont be afraid to mix with the families in your Regt/Unit/Estate, you're all in the same boat at the end of day.

A must "do" is get an interest/hobby etc for you (and kids if any), no doubt he'll be depolyed at some point and 6 months is a long time on your own.
Go along to the "stitch & b itch clubs", coffee mornings, take advantage of the facilities like the gym etc... might not be your bag but it gets you out & meeting people.

And dont forget there are support channels if you need them, your Unit Welfare Officer is always a good place to start.

cait, id just like to say thanks to you as not only did elainy have these thoughts and questions but i did aswell. ive been thinking about it alot recently as im due to get married in july and ive heard so many nasty rumours about living in quarters and the bitching that goes on between some of the families. we have a 3 year old and another on the way so im quite concerned about things.

hi all,

thanks for your replies. i am getting an idea of my future life and it makes it much easier to know that others are as worried as i am ;) guess it's up to me to make the best out of the situation and to see things in a positiv way.

wishing you all the best

regards
elainy

the quarters are great, now, the wives in the mess at functions however, are a different kettle of trouts. First couple of times theyll treat you like a child and if theyre not sure about you, theyll sneer down there noses at you and god help you if you wear the same outfit twice!
apart from that, enjoy mess life it can be great, but remember, just because you are the wife of a Capt/major etc.. doesnt mean you the rank as well. :roll:

apart from that, enjoy mess life it can be great, but remember, just because you are the wife of a Capt/major etc.. doesnt mean you the rank as well

don't worry - i have my own degree and career. so i have no need to push my self esteem through the job of my H2B ;)

Life on the "patch" is usually good fun - watch out for the "safari suppers" in which each household on the street produces a course for a 4 or 5 course meal and the couples move from house to house for each course with an "aftermath" party. An excellent ice-breaker!

DHE are variable by region - I've had quarters in DHE North and DHE Central, and DHE North were by far better in terms of response to repairs etc. We had another home which we rented out and it gave us somewhere to move to when I left the service.

Try and get hold of a welcome pack from where you are going ASP. Let's you know what to expect and you may be able to do some valid prep. Do you know where you are going as someone may well have been there and be able to advise? No unit, just location.

i think it does aldeapend where u r posted to, and the corps your partner is in, hving good neighbours also helps, remember you rearly find another one as good as you're first!

Has anyone been in accomadation in Aldershot, My H2B is currently serving in Mons barracks and i aint got a clue what to expect

Aldershot is a mixed bag of good, not bad and shite quarters, if you like your scoff, try to get one that is behind Burger King, you can smell them cooking all day and night and all you have to do is nip through your back gate and voila, Double Whopper city!!