absinthe

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by midwesterner, Dec 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hass anyone got p1ssed on this?

2. are the Kennadys gun shy?

3. Nectar of the gods.......go to Prague to experience it in it's fullest form.

4. Spacker - couldn't agree. The French stuff appears to have been "sanitised" down to 40% !!

5. I imbibed some in Paris at the Scotland v France 5 Nations about 15 years ago. Got so shiters that I fell asleep in the restaurant toilets near the Arc and left her at the table for the best part of 2 hours. Quality stuff if getting arrsed is your thing

6. Up-graded Pernod was my conclusion. I was in Paris on first-time-abroad status just as absinthe was being banned and, although it was rather like mouthwash, found it quite pleasurable. At that age, barmaids skirt alcohol content would have sent me off. Haven't tried any new version. Recall danger was that it was just so nice to drink and with all the palaver of strainer, sugar cube etc it seemed very grown up. Were I to try it now, I think I'd feel a bit like Breezer for Boys type

7. I remember a bottle being passed around once in a pub garden.............woke up freezing cold under the picnic tables many hours later

8. First time I had the stuff, I went blind for a week.

9. Saw a thing on BBC24, a wee while ago, that visited a Czech Absinthe distillery.

Their product is "watered down" to 70% Alcohol content. Apparently, their original recipe creates Absinthe at 72% Alcohol, but, due to EU Laws (surprise, surprise), as it is over 70%, it would be classified as an Explosive Substance and would need to get all the relevant permits for shipping it, etc
    . 8O 8O

10. Done properly with sugar and flame its great, a very different type of pished!! 8O :D 8O :D Taken straight it is disgusting!! :twisted: :twisted:

11. once. I heard screams in my head the next day.

Here's a nice mix. Look for Puncheon Rum at one of the West Indian shops. It's at least 75% alco.
    http://www.trinidadrum.com/aboutrum.html#puncheon

Take one shot and then sip on a guiness. Tastes great. :)

12. absinthe makes the heart grow fonder - maybe thats why it was banned ?

13. bloody dangerous stuff!
    last time i was drinking the stuff.. i ended up dancing topless behind a bar i worked in at the time 8O

14. Bought some in Prague for about £3.60, the same bottle over here was £80, fckuing rip-off! mmmmmmmmmmm

15. Tried absinthe once with a French-Canadian girl in the back streets of Paris - and I recall that it was the proper absinthe; both of us were very ill for 48hrs. It wasn't your normal hangover!

Didn't Vincent van Gogh cut off his ear after a bottle or three of this stuff?

Litotes