ABSENCE WITHOUT LEAVE

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by STEVEP, May 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CAN SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT ABSENCE WITHOUT LEAVE STILL COUNTS TOWARDS RECKONABLE SERVICE BUT IS NOT COUNTED AGAINST PENSIONABLE SERVICE?

COULD HE THEREFORE SIGN OFF, GO AWOL FOR 2 MONTHS AND HAVE 10 MONTHS LEFT TO SERVE WHEN HE COMES BACK?

2. Is that when he comes back from MCTC?

P.S. I think your keyboard is broken.

3. Oh dear :roll:

4. Commit the crime then come back and ask (you may not like the answer).

5. Clearly detention is non reckonable but the Rule 82 for Court Martials clearly states that periods of absence do not count against reckonable service, only against pensionable service. My keyboard is not broken.

6. But you soon will be :D

7. My apologies, it just seemed like it was in the first post on here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the correct manuals with me, and am unable to access the intranet from my personal laptop so cannot answer your question at the moment, but look into it and get back to you as soon as I can.

This, of course, will be after I have returned from my 2 years awol and 6 months pokey (without giving the time back to Her Maj), left the Army and spent most of my pension on fripperies and shoes.

Sluggy x

8. Quote from QRs:

9.333. The fact that a soldier is serving a sentence of imprisonment or detention in the United Kingdom is not to be accepted as a reason for delaying his transfer to the Reserve or termination on the due date in accordance with the terms of his engagement (para 9.331 is to apply regarding completion of sentence and para 9.404 regarding soldiers sentenced whilst serving abroad).

In English - whilst detention may be non-reckonable, it still counts as service and therefore towards his notice period having signed off.

I can't find anything similar relating to AWOL cases, but I assume that falls in to the same category.

9. MCTC, Colchester is a f'ing butlins Camp anyway supper at 8pm boys :D:D:D

10. Why not sign off, and then serve out your 12 months and then leave for civvie street?

It may be a bit easier than getting the G1 issues of going AWOL in the middle of it all.

Could the Army not just discharge straight away, when the solider returned from AWOL anyway?

11. Why would you, err sorry, the soldier need to go AWOL? If you have a valid reason to be away from your place of duty your chain of command can sort something out. I know of guys who have been sent to work at their local careers office for a few months because they had some major personal issues that resulted in them needing to be close to family. Going AWOL is probably not the answer.