About Turn!!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by make_safe!!, Mar 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When performing an about turn, which is the correct way to cut the right foot in after the check pace?

Does it get cut back into the position of attention, into the in-step of the left boot at 90 Degrees or into a y like arrangement?

I've been told all of them and haven't seen the Pam.

2. Normal proceedure is:

Pretend it wasn't your decision... make up some false statistics... smile a lot... hide a bit... create some diversionary news... and hope the electorate don't notice.
  3. I was always taught "Check T L V " but that seems to have been superseeded in recentyears by "Trip shuffle shuffle"
  4. Ah, so you've seen my Sqn parade then.
  5. Ive always been taught the TLV way too. A superb way of giving yourself an enormous bruise on the back of the left heel if executed innaccurately and with much enthusiasm.
  6. If anyone is in a position to qoute the manual I'd be grateful as it may win me an argument!

7. The Cut In.

I quote (well, not really, as the manual is Crown Copyright and restricted of course!):

"The instructor will demonstrate this movement giving the words of command 'TURNINGS, BY NUMBERS, ABOUT TURN - ONE!', at the same time calling out 'IN' as the movement is executed. Explain: Immediately on the command 'ONE', which is given as the right heel strikes the ground a further 750 mm (30 inches) pace is taken with the left foot, at the same time alternating the arms. A short pace of 375 mm (15 inches) as then taken with the right foot, at the same time forcing the arms into the side of the body in a sharp, scissor-like movement. The body is frozen in this position. On the execution of this movement the squad will call out 'IN'.

Points to Note.

These are:

a. Both feet are flat and firm on the ground, at an angle of 30 degress front and centre of the body.

b. The right heel is against and touching the left insteep.

c. Both knees are braced.

d. The remainder of the body is held erect and square to the front.

So, in answer to your initial post the answer is..... wait for it...... B!!!

Ahhhhhh.... memories of when drill was the pill and taken twice daily..... :headbang:
  8. Much Appreciated!
  9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

This is the correct manner as discussed with the guy (JM.....Ex RSM) who wrote the last edition of the drill manual; over a cup of coffee.

Read the manual. Everything else is WRONG There is no debate. everything outsid John's manual is WRONG.

It is normally ACF instructors who try and claim that there is a different version of drill.........all bollocks.
  10. How much you win and what's my cut? :headbang:
  11. crow-bag the Grenadier was right, I know i am one two.
    it gets fun when you do a left about turn, its not in the manual, but done on every sentry post. just like shoulder arms as you step off.
  12. Sentry Post drill means you never turn your back on the direction of threat (to the front of the guarded premises). This means, quite correctly, that the about turn is done in the opposite direction. Only means that the word of command is given on the left, rather than right, foot.
  13. The guarded premises in question being the left hand side (as you look at it) of Buck House whilst providing aid to the london tourist board... er, I mean, on public duties!
  14. CliSwe:
    I think you will find it is given on the same foot as the right about, due to the fact that two sentries marching away or towards each other will still be in step, therefore the about will be on the same foot, its just that the turn is towards the front. this was tought as a squad down the factory and refered to as double tap.
  15. Thanks, T2 - I did the Sentry Drill as a Junior Soldier several decades ago. The "check pace" always caused confusion. (And, as you can see, continues to do so.) So - to get it straight - word of command on left foot; T; L; V; shoot the left foot & continue marching in new direction. Right? T2? T2 - Wake up! Oh no - not another one. Am I the world's greatest bore, or what?
    (Only kidding)