ABLE ARCHER 1983, and the nearly nuclear war, CH4 now

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by FluffyBunny, Jan 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 19:30-21:00

Ronnie Regan in his heyday.
  2. Thanks for this, as I was 9 at the time I'd never heard of Ex Able Archer, scary times indeed. Stanislav Petrov was a touch f@cked over for his part. Anyone got any interesting stories from this time?

3. Petrov must have bollocks bigger than my head, and I've got a big head ...
  4. I hope he's not got ears and a nose on his balls!
  5. Sh1t. Had no idea it was on. Hopefully S4C will run it (prob at Silly o'clock) before I head back spam-side in a few days.
  6. Ch4 +1. It started 10 minutes ago (currently 2043hrs)
  7. Excellent program - the co-incidences involved are staggering, as is the way the the Russian early warning system identified high-level clouds as missiles.
  8. Even allowing for journalistic added drama its pretty interesting viewing!
  9. Just catching the tail end now and I'm being driven nuts by the silly bint of a narrator pronouncing the word "nukular".
  10. 1983, I was having the best year of my army career at Bovington, wine, women , song and no excercises and these tw*ts came within a knats knacker of forcing me to play soldiers for real! bast*rds

11. Only for about 12 minutes though.

I think I was on my way to ILJB at the time. Would have been a very short career.
  12. This is not new.I recall seeing something similar on this in 1986.
  13. You're not the only one to notice that, but other than that, I thought it was very good.
  14. "I told you all at the time that the Soviets didn't have the bottle"..."Thank Fook" Maggie Thatcher 1984.
  15. I suppose if it weren't for Yeltsin, Reagan and Thatcher we would probably still be sat on the cold and wet border of west germany. Especially the idiots we have in power today!