ABLE ARCHER 1983, and the nearly nuclear war, CH4 now

Sh1t. Had no idea it was on. Hopefully S4C will run it (prob at Silly o'clock) before I head back spam-side in a few days.

Excellent program - the co-incidences involved are staggering, as is the way the the Russian early warning system identified high-level clouds as missiles.

Just catching the tail end now and I'm being driven nuts by the silly bint of a narrator pronouncing the word "nukular".

1983, I was having the best year of my army career at Bovington, wine, women , song and no excercises and these tw*ts came within a knats knacker of forcing me to play soldiers for real! bast*rds

aghart said:
1983, I was having the best year of my army career at Bovington, wine, women , song and no excercises and these tw*ts came within a knats knacker of forcing me to play soldiers for real! bast*rds

Only for about 12 minutes though.

I think I was on my way to ILJB at the time. Would have been a very short career.

crabtastic said:
Just catching the tail end now and I'm being driven nuts by the silly bint of a narrator pronouncing the word "nukular".
You're not the only one to notice that, but other than that, I thought it was very good.

I suppose if it weren't for Yeltsin, Reagan and Thatcher we would probably still be sat on the cold and wet border of west germany. Especially the idiots we have in power today!

Jimima

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In November 1982 I had just transferred from Recce after seven years, five in BAOR, into RAPC. Wor Lass was about to drop our first born, she was in our old quarter in Paderborn and I was commuting from Osnabruck every weekend and Wednesday afternoon.

I can vividly remember travelling back to Traz late one evening and hearing on BFBS Radio that the Supreme Soviet had replaced the recently-deceased Brezhnev with the head of the KGB and my sphincter tightened as I imagined him taking us straight to Armageddon and wtf was I doing bringing a little one into the world. It didn't help that on the reverse journey to Paderborn recently, BFBS had broadcast a drama which culminated in a BAOR horizon lit up by tactical nukes, civilisation being reborn thousands of years later and a man picking up a club to hit another man. (A very short time later BFBS broadcast War of the Worlds, updated to the present, featuring the Chieftains of the Armoured Divisions of BAOR.)

A year later I was running a REME MRG radio truck on the banks of the Weser on Ex Eternal Triangle and I was blissfully unaware of what was going on elsewhere.

I found it very moving watching all this, realising that my stupid premonition a year earlier had not been so wide of the mark.

Bo££ocks, I missed it. If I'd realised, I would have sat the kids in front to learn what a safe world Daddy gave them.

Honestly, though (bearing in mind that I missed the programme, so I'm only guessing the content), it was a time when Joe Public didn't realise how close we were, while Joe Squaddie probably had the situation hyped up a bit. I'd like to know the truth, if only to be able to claim a refund.