Aberdeen remembers the Blitz...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by 2/51, Apr 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ....it happened on a Thursday! according to the local paper. (It was actually a Wednesday, but not like a newspaper to investigate facts).

Big story in the local paper today, interviews with "survivors" and so on.

For those of you interested, here is the story (not from the paper) Aberdeen Blitz

This was the only serious bombing raid on Aberdeen, despite Aberdeen having 4 barracks, a massive ship yard and an RAF squadron.

We had it hard up here you know!
  2. ... and they're still waiting to have the place repaired.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. "There were earlier raids on Aberdeen. While 6 LAA Battery were there between 1939 and 1940. They were manning Lewis guns and had telegraph poles made to look like Heavy Guns"
  4. Thanks for this. I remember my great aunt and uncle talking about it.
  5. They suffer worse damage most saturday nights.
  6. Coincidentally, this is what I had read last night in Ian Rankin's "The Falls"

"The story went that when the Titanic sank, the headline in the Courier had been 'Dundee Man Lost at Sea'. Not that the paper was parochial or anything"

Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the headline was an urban legend.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The same was said about the Press and Journal..lol
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

One nights not a Blitz ffs!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Unless you're The Sweet!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. "City man lost at sea".
  11. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

The bombs did £15.00 worth of improvements.
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

"North-east man lost at sea" was surely the well known version attributed to the P & J.
  13. What fcuking blitz?

More civilians were killed in the UK in WW2 by road accidents in the blackout than by the Luftwaffe....
  14. My great Uncle Fritz used to speak of it quite often as well. We never forgave him for missing Pittodrie.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I heard the bomb was stripped for scrap before it hit the deck.