Aberdeen barracks - Gordon Highlanders

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Dec 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Morning all,

I'm feeling a bit lazy so hoping someone can help me - don't point me at Google I'll do that on the weekend.

My mother-in-law has asked me to sort out her family tree and the best info she has is back to her grandfather who was born in 1902 in 'Aberdeen Barracks' his father was supposedly in the Gordon Highlanders.

The scottish records online are not covered by my ancestry subscription so to save me a bit of cash does anyone have any info on 'Aberdeen Barracks' they can help me with.

I'm after things such as:

Images
    If still in use does it have an archives onsite or any idea where the records for 1902 and earlier would be held?

Sort of hoping someone can give me some local info, I have a mate in Aberdeen who could probably go and have a look see but knowing this place we probably have someone who lives in the barracks above the archives.

Thanks

S_R

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. I just wonder if "Aberdeen Barracks" in 1902 is more likely to refer to the former Castlehill Barracks, rather than Bridge of Don? There was also a barracks in King Street.

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Scots at War A - Z Index

6. Sorry oldbaldy, but what's your point? The OP is trying to ident a barracks which existed in 1902. All three barracks mentioned in the thread were associated with the Gordon Highlanders at one time or another. Local regiment.

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

My point is you say Gordon Barracks were built in 1935, I'm showing there was a barracks by the same name for quite some time before at the same location.

8. Castlehill Barracks Aberdeen was built around 1794 and was the home of various units throughout its service. The Gordons Depot was there from about 1880 until the Gordons vacated it and on 15 March 1935 they marched the 4 miles North to Bridge of Don. At that time the Gordon Barracks were in open countryside and had been built on farmland. Gordon Barracks became the Highland Brigade Depot, Then the Scottish Division Junior Soldiers Depot finally closing in 1986. The TA moved in a year later and still occupy the site. There are a number of developers interested in the site and private housing is encroaching, the days of blank firing and exercising in the barracks are over! the officers married quarters were refurbished or rebuilt and the Officers mess has been converted to flats. Castlehill Barracks became home to homeless families and deteroriated until demolition in 1965. In 1971 hideous high rise flats were built over the site and dominate the view to the top of Union Street. The Barracks on King Street were built for the Royal Aberdeen Militia and sometime after the First World war became a tram depot. The frontage is still there and forms part of the First bus Headquarters. There were also a number of Drill halls throughout Aberdeen, such as Woolmanhill Barracks, home to 4th (City of Aberdeen)Battalion Gordon Highlanders. Hardgate, Bucksburn and Culter Drill Halls are no more.

9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Thanks for the info people.

From Drumbox's post i assume that the actual barracks he was born in (if true) were the Castlehill Barracks...

I have found - now i am home - the Gordon Highlanders Museum online and have sent them a request.

Thanks again

S_R

10. Around that time there was a Territorial Force hospital in Aberdeen. It is listed as having nearly 1300 men and 67 officers stationed there. Possible place of birth? Castlehill appears not to have had married quarters, with the married soldiers living in and around Aberdeen so perhaps a birth would have been at the military hospital?

The Torry Battery also housed soldiers from 1859 so thats another possibility. Infact, it was used as a temporary barracks for troops returning from the Boer and First World War.

The Museum should be able to help, but it is currently closed for the winter. You may not get an answer right away.

11. Here you go, Castlehill Barracks...now the site of a couple of blocks of flats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Sympathetic_Reaction

Thanks for the extra info 2/51 Looks like you are a local from your location info.

S_R

13. Yes, interesting info from 2/51. I was aware of the Torry Battery etc but I had not known the exact location of the Castlehill Barracks, on which I am now clear thanks to the old photograph which you posted.

I would expect "Territorial Force hospital" to be a volunteer unit which would deploy as a hospital on mobilisation, but would not normally be a working military hospital in its peacetime location.

This link suggests that there are families listed under Castlehill Barracks in the 1881 census: RootsWeb: ABERDEEN-L Re: [ABERDEEN] Castlehill Barracks