Abbey are Cr*p

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by longwayhome, Oct 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just sent this complaint to Abbey. These guys are tools..

"I am serving in British Forces Germany. Forces Financial provide our Abbey services here. Today I tried to report my card number compromised and requested a new card be issued. After two attempts to be put through to the right person as the help desk couldn't tell me where the new card would be sent (put through to your internal phone help menu the first time and the IT department the second) I got through to a lady who called me back and said the card would be sent to NAAFI Germany. That's great however NAAFI haven't been providing our services for about 12 months. No idea where my card is now going and apparently neither do you.

You have thousands of customers on British bases in Germany. Do you really not have addresses for the branches of Forces Financial out here?

Whilst I'm here a number of months ago my girlfriend and I applied for a joint account with Abbey in Swindon. Despite us already having 3 accounts with you (one with an overdraft) we were rejected as the bank doesn't recognise BFPO addresses as a verifiable history. If it wasn't for the fact that the manager was a forces wife we would not have got an account. You're treatment of forces personnel leaves a great deal to be desired and needs a radical overhaul. Please let me know how you intend to improve services to us."

As a final insult when I sent the complaint the first time it rejected as it didn't recognise the BFPO address.. t*ssers

Anyone else had trouble with these freaks?

2. Yeah, I asked for them to close and reopen a new account as I felt mine had be compromised. The guy on the phone thought I was trying to pull his leg and then fobbed me off onto another section, I spent the best part of an hour listening to their shite music and gave up on waiting. I'm currently shopping around for a new bank (Alliance and Leicester look good).

3. Dear Longwayhome,

We are proud to offer a UK Banking facility for our customers overseas and this is a vital service which many of our customers find invaluable. Being able to access Family Tax Credit, Child Benefit, pay in the German kinder geld and raise UK cheques or bankers drafts is a service we feel plays a vital part in the lives of serving personnel and their families overseas.

We value our customers feedback and would be happy to help you in anyway we can. As I am sure you can appreciate, our partner Abbey is a large organisation and we use a special dedicated military team in London for our support. We would like to pass you their details or to pass your details on to them so they can contact you direct to resolve the problems with your card . In order to ensure you reach the right department we would recommend you contact us direct so we can facilitate this. Therefore please send us a pm with your full contact details.

In the mean time we will contact Abbey to try and make sure this problem does not re occur and I am sure Abbey would want us to apologise on their behalf for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Forces Financial is a trading name of Stuart Harvey Insurance Brokers Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registration Number 301858. Registered Office: Globe House, 24 Turret Lane, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1DL. Registered in England & Wales, Registration Number 4224318.

4. I'm afraid Abbey's customer diservice extends to us folk in civi-street too, what really irritates is the 'standard letter approach' to everything, why someone cannot be dedicated to writing properly in response to your issue is beyond me. Strung me along for 6 weeks on a mortgage application until I sacked it and went elsewhere.

Unfortunately of course, you will find all of the banks to be the same - having been with most over a 35 year period I have first hand experience of one issue or another with most, and never resolved to my satisfaction ever. The best I have found (though not without it's problems entirely :roll: ) has been Nationwide - speak as you find. Good luck anyway.

5. Opens the door............hmmm, I thought this was going to be an eye opening discussion about MoD AbbeyWood.....................closes the door on the way out.

6. Much the same level of service in Civ div. It has got noticeably worse since Satander took over. Try calling the 'helpdesk'. It used to be that you'd be lucky to speak to someone 'english' instead of Indians. Now its actually better to get an Indian than some of the eurotrash that answer.

7. Would agree with the comments above ref Nationwide except that it took me 9 months to set up a standing order to a CTF.

I wrote to change the address on the account and they changed my 2 year old daughters address but not mine. Wrote again and they said they didn't have a digital copy of my signature - funny old thing considering the previous letter.

Was going to change from a Cash CTF to shares but there is only 16 years left on the account!!

As for HBOS dont go there.

Jockster

8. ALL banks and building societies are crap unless you are a billionaire and pay zero tax

9. Found this post intresting,
    I was an Abbey customer for nearly 14 years due to my Germany posting. Must admit during the 90s Abbey seemed to be the most inovative when it came to customer services. Towards the end of the 90s and early 00s they plummeted in respect of the same. This coincided with the bank changing from giving customer sevice to 'focusing' on giving customer sevices. The difference being the focusing was on selling services like mortgages and insurance. In the last few years i had a hatefull time with them, however, i had the last laugh

Firstly i changed my current account to the Nationwide and made a complaint to the ombussman and before the case was considered i got £50 from Abbey! :D

Secondly i changed my mortgage provider from Abbey to the nationwide and made a complaint to the ombussman and before thee case was considered i got a £295 refund in respect of their exit fee. I argued sucessfully that the fee was in face a penalty fee rather than an admin fee. Obviously the abbey said the money was a 'goodwill' gesture rather than a refund. Who cares i was the benifactor 8)

10. By way of a quick update. I have yet to receive a response to my complaint and these idiots sent my card and the pin number to a shared letter box in my unit anyway. Cannot believe how useless they are.

I've PM'd Forces Financial my details for the 'special London support team' to help me out. Excuse me if I'm cynical about an organisation that charges 25 pounds for a wire transfer, fails to track credit card deliveries and refuses BFPO addresses for new account holders.

11. i have just given Abbey the boot as they are not up to it, so looking for a new account i walked in to the Hong Kong bank and asking to open a new account the 12 year old behind the counter said sorry we cant help you at the moment nobody here!! so i said thank you i will take my mony across the road, she wasn't bothered a toss. Across the road in Baryclars i asked the same question to be gerated with "could you come back in an hour as the girl is on lunch!! " i said "no i am on lunch" when do thease people think we do our banking? but i keep forgeting thats what you get in third world countries.[align=left]

12. Longwayhome

Now we have received your contact details we have taken this up on your behalf with Abbey.

Forces Financial is a trading name of Stuart Harvey Insurance Brokers Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registration number 301858. Registered Office: Globe House, 24 Turret Lane, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1DL

13. I have just submited a complaint through Banking Ombudsman (not holding breath) against Cahoot/Abbey as they have decided I am a shite load in default on a loan - infact I am apparantly 1.5 times the size of the outstanding balance in default. This is logged on my credit file.

First reported to them in August with evidence (copy of credit file), rang lsat week to be told nothing we can do without proof so sent it again, still no response.

Rang Banking Ombudsman to complain and got the following
    "What do you want us to do about it???"
    I want you to sort them out as they are ignoring me
    "Well we will write to them but they have 8 weeks to reply before we do anything"
    They already had 3 months......

Put phone down

14. By way of an update. A nice lady from Abbey called me to tell me that:

1. She was from their special department that dealt with forces liaison.
    2. The local branch of forces financial should know to call them
    3. She would pass up her chain of command the issue regarding BFPO addresses and try and find out why the card and pin went to the address.
    4. Apologised for the inconvenience.

I made the following points:

1. How about you give us the number for forces liaison so we can call direct rather than having to go through our limited opening hours branch.
    2. Please change the web site to allow BFPO numbers to be recognised.
    3. Please sent an email to all your customer service operators (wherever they may be) to direct forces queries to your branch.
    4. Please review the policy as to why those of us with BFPO addresses have trouble getting any other banking service (loans etc).

The nice lady called me back to say she has passed on my concerns and asked for my account number to check further. Couple more weeks have passed now and no further reply. So in summary all care - NO action and Abbey are still crap.