Abandoned USSR/Russian Kit

This is old, but gives a flavour of what you used to be able to find...

Hidden in the Woods

mushequip003-11.jpg
There was a field.full of these in the mid 90s near Diss in Norfolk

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
This is old, but gives a flavour of what you used to be able to find...

Hidden in the Woods

mushequip003-11.jpg
Light Care & Preservation, Russian style. I particularly like the way a large calibre shell seems to have found its way into shot towards the end....

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
I know they were ground effect vehicles, but just out of idle interest, does anyone know just what their maximum ceiling was?

I was reading about these last night, and according to Wikipedia the A-90 could get up to 9,800 ft. even though it was designated a Class B Ekranoplan.

There are three classes of ground effect vehicles. There are Class A GEVs, which are only certified to operate in ground effect, Class B which are allowed to operate temporarily up to 490 ft. AGL, and Class C which can operate above 490 ft.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
There's another lot in a field near Assembled too.................................................

giphy.gif

Wot, someone's nicked my coat. I'll just get the taxi

I'm trying to find a Russian town called "Assembled". There are towns and cities over there called much worse.

On an airfield , ISTR ?
Can't really remember. I thought someone had bought the tanker version then realised that these things do about 10l to the km so the plan was uneconomic.

TamH70

MIA
The Caspian Sea Monster is still (wholly) on the beach here:

The Sovs will probably let it rust away there for ever.

I am intrigued by how they got the Beriev Be-6 up onto that rock. And why.
I can make a couple of wild guesses at the "how", but the "why" will probably be best answered with "because"

Couldn't give exact figures, but not high. The wing length would limit their downforce, which would limit the height it could achieve.
Like this you mean?

202790129_10223207680639260_8139138479667266681_n.jpeg

The Buccaneer was always designed as an aircraft. The Ecranoplan was designed as a surface effect vehicle.

Edit: why not ask why a hovercraft couldn't fly higher?

The Buccaneer was always designed as an aircraft. The Ecranoplan was designed as a surface effect vehicle.
Well the way I heard it it was a toss up between an aircraft and a two man submarine, built to work in both environments......

Albeit not in Russia, whilst pre-deployment prepping Mongolia’s Infantry Bn contribution to UNMISS during Jan and March 2012, having the opportunity to play with these was interesting …
E30DE16F-2871-4419-B9A7-0D430A06D164.jpeg
10BE5CBF-43EE-4E68-A5F5-A46F88A091F1.jpeg
4A9981C7-CBC1-46C7-B1A3-DD767ADAAA55.jpeg
DCC46578-B732-47A4-8631-9EB7E7D37FAF.jpeg

… regrettably, the BTM variant was determined to be “not necessary in South Sudan”, and it wouldn’t have fit in the Il-76 contracted for the airlift anyway.

Latest Threads