AAR from 4 Day Handgun Course at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute in Nev.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by jumpinjarhead, Apr 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought some of you may be interested in an after-action report from my recent attendance (with 36 y/o son--trained by yours truly) at the 4 Day Defensive Handgun Course at the Front Sight Firearms Training Institute located about an hour west of Las Vegas.

The course is normally $2000 per student but we managed to get severely discounted tuition so we bit the bullet (see what I did there) and decided to go. we arrived on a Sunday night before course start up early on Monday morning. Prerequisites included a criminal background check (I was greatly relieved to have passed). We were told to bring the pistol we relied on for personal defense and a back up.

Since my usual carry gun (the new Springfield Armory X-D-S .45acp single stack mini-gun) was at the smith getting night sights, I fell back on my old reliable HK .45acp USP Compact and my 1911 as a backup. My son is a .40 S&W guy and had his X-D40 subcompact with X-D40 Service model backup. Due to the ammo shortage we also brought 300 rounds each so as not to totally deplete the stocks on hand at the Institute that we purchased (actually at below market rates) there. Total round count for the 4 day course was 900 each.

We had 4 long days (0800-1700) days of moving and shooting on conventional ranges and in a shoot house scenario. Distances ranges from 3 yards to 20 yards and all shots were taken either from the low ready or strong side holster.

Each class (there were at least 3 I know of going on simultaneously) was comprised of 40 students of all levels of expertise (active duty military and LEOs to housewives on a shooting vacation with their spouses). I would say the average was a reasonably experienced handgun shooter with only a few scary ones who I tried to stay away from on the firing line due to their marginal gun-handling skills.

One fundamental of the instruction and philosophy there is the importance of dry firing. We did a lot of that during the day and were expected to do a lot in the evening. It really does make a huge difference and is cheap to boot, especially in this day of $.75-$1.00 per round ammo costs. One drill they did to underscore this is to have us shoot 5 rounds as fast as possible at a 1 inch square black dot from the 7 yard line---fire 5 shots, then fire 5 dry fires and then 5 more shots at a second square. there was ALWAYS improvement in the second groups.

The wider groups were the first strings and the tighter groups after the dry firing. Excuse the bad focus on some.

2013-03-20 16.23.30.jpg 2013-03-20 16.23.42.jpg 2013-03-20 16.23.30.jpg 2013-03-21 12.20.11.jpg 2013-03-21 12.20.16-2-resized.jpg

We also did hostage taker drills with steel and paper targets out to 20 yards (had to hit hostage taker head partly showing alongside hostage's head).

The course culminated in a single elimination shoot-off on a course involving a steel plate torso (hostage) with 4X4" hinged steel plate alongside head of hostage that was the target at 7 yards, then (if you did not hit hostage), 2 more steel torsos about 10 yards behind and to each side of the hostage plate. Fastest accurate shooter won the round. In all humility I would note that the last 2 standing in the final face off were my son and I. He beat me by about 1/2 second. :)

All in all it was a very well run course that I can commend to anyone wanting to up their game with a handgun. Here are a few other pics of the facility:

2013-03-20 11.51.49.jpg 2013-03-18 07.51.19.jpg 2013-03-20 08.19.18 re sized.jpg

To some Front Sight has a bad reputation due to the unbridled marketing by its founder who is a chiropractor by training but the facility itself was expertly run by former military and LEO operators.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The owner must run a fleet of Bentleys. There's at least 50 people in that room. Even at half price that's $50,000 for a 2 day course. I am definitely in the wrong business.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Indeed so--they make a LOT of money there! frontsight.com
  4. This post is frankly, terrifying. There's now another 80 big fat septics running around thinking that they can shoot hostage taker's heads off like Dirty Harry.

Did you practice shooting guns out of people's hands as well?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. My dear fellow, not all there were fat and the entire course philosophy is the gun is the LAST RESORT for self defense and that of your family. It is not a Dirty Harry type thing. I had assumed the reader would understand that but apologize for not making it clear in my original post. As many of the LEOs present admitted, their marksmanship, especially under time and scenario pressure is not what it should be. The upshot of this is that depending on one's particular situation (for example I live in a very remote location where it will take a minimum of 30 minutes for a Barney Fife-like deputy to arrive if I need help), if you cannot defend yourself and your family you are going to be the next bad statistic.

I am truly sorry to have terrified you.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Looks more fun than the NRA competency certificate course, which is about all we have in UK these days....
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Still got it then JJH? :)
  8. I can still shoot but the days sure seem longer.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I scan read that and I was not at all surprised when it turned out that JJH normally carries a minigun.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I see a gap in the US market for courses in irony........ :-D
  11. Very bad reputation. As much a marketing operation as a shooting operation from what I hear and read.

Personally I think that there are better schools and better courses. Frontsight is like Gunsite since the Colonel passed, bums on seats, maximising through put and profit which means minimal instructor salaries and maximum student attendance, which = minimal learning.

JJH, you have one of the two premier shooting schools in the USA located on your doorstep in Ellijay, GA. Drop an email to Bill Rogers, attend his school like so many SEAL's, DELTA's and Feds have.........you will not be sorry. The other school is also down south, but they will not let you in unless your application comes on an official purchase order from the DoD. But contact Bill:

Rogers Shooting School - Reactive Shooting Training

My advice, first visit do the basic course, not slapping your shooting ability, just that it takes a while to get your head around the targetting. Do Bill's course and you will confidently perform the trick shot of hitting a head at 20 yards in 1.5 seconds from the holster.
  12. I have been to HK, SIG/SAUER, GLOCK, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite (during the Colonel's tenure) and Xe (now Academi) among others and would rate Front Sight on par in terms of the facilities and training. As I said, one needs to separate the marketing end from the shooting end. I am familiar with the Rogers operation and find it too pricey for me.

P.S. I can do that pony trick of the head shot in 1.3 seconds (on my last outing) :)
  13. I've done the rounds of a few schools and instructors and have only returned to Rogers as a repeat customer. Rogers basic course is all in at around $1600 which includes ammo, guns, food, accomodation and a coach stood behind you everytime you shoot. The advanced works out at about $2500 for everything ...... which equates to a dollar for every round you throw down range in the week.

The thing I like about Rogers is that he and all his instructors will demo a drill before they get you to shoot a drill. Which shows me that it can be done at the speeds required. The other instructors I have met tend to talk an awful lot and not actually shoot, I spent 3 days with one tosser who is allegedly a top man with him constantly telling us how good he was. He put 3 rounds down range over three days, honest.
  14. I will look further as I initially saw $12000 for a week. I only go to these courses when I get a substantial discount. FWIIW, the instructors at FS all demonstrated every movement and drill we were expected to do and were superb in their own right. I find that every one of these places gets mixed reviews on the various shooting listservs for a wide variety of reasons most I think having to do with a disconnect between student expectations and what a given school/course offers. As far as FS is concerned I know I came back a much better shooter from the holster under time/scenario pressure than before I went so for me it was worth it. I am sure others in the very same class went away with the opposite view for their own reasons--many I think because they did not master the techniques to "graduate" but merely got "attendance" certificates. Of the 40 in our class there were 3 distinguished graduates (my son and I and one other) and 12 "graduates" so a goodly number went home dissatisfied by their own performance.
  15. You should have seen the fun and games we had at the Aquarium.

"Do you have any lighters or sharp objects?"

"No, but I've got a pistol"!
    • Like Like x 2