AACC post sandhurst

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bums on seats I guess.

QRK2

LE
Quite; but how the hell are people going to cope on, for example, PCD? I hadn't realised that things were quite so bad, although I got a hint recently.

Well, RMAS doesn't only feed to PCD of course. IMHO in the past the (possibly unspoken) ethos was that the output should be of that sort of standard fitness wise, whereas now the ethos is that the output has to be able to achieve a pass on the current armywide fitness tests.

Because there's a difference between Officers in 29/24 and Officers within Brigade Staff (as an example) when it comes to money etc.
So it is an exchange of Brigade staff. That makes sense if it is giving RM officers a wider exposure than they would get just serving in 3 Cdo Bde. There always used to be a Para Regt liason officer with 3 Cdo Bde and an RM liason officer with the Paras.

Well it has to be worth something because otherwise no one would be allowed to attempt AACC or P Coy having just come from RMAS. For good or ill, 44 weeks at RMAS is the gateway into the Regular Army for Regular Officers and that includes volunteering to serve in 3 Cdo Bde.
Para Reg officers used to do All Arms P Company straight after passing out from RMAS. With the exception of one, all the ones on my AAPC passed, although watching the 1992 Documentary about P Company some were on their second attempt. I don't know if they did any pre course beat up training at Browning Barracks before hand though.

QRK2

LE
Para Reg officers used to do All Arms P Company straight after passing out from RMAS. With the exception of one, all the ones on my AAPC passed, although watching the 1992 Documentary about P Company some were on their second attempt. I don't know if they did any pre course beat up training at Browning Barracks before hand though.

1. This was not particularly recenty

2. Para Reg (still) won't take the those who display 'average' fitness at RMAS

About a third of YOs (+-) fail P Coy - mainly due to injury.

The previous levels of beasting/fitness. The link was to a a video of a fat OCdt about to pass out of the factory.

Unsurprisingly body armour doesn't make anyone look their slimmest.
That OCdt played a high level of rugby and was physically fit and robust.

It's almost as if a snapshot on a video might not give you the whole truth.

The RMAS PD syllabus changed when the syllabus changed in 2015.
Long runs out, strength and conditioning/weight work in.
Less injuries, no decline in ability of OCdts to get through tests like LONG REACH and Endurance Race / Steeple Chase etc...

Brecon reports back to RMAS that the intakes recently are noticeably fitter.

The RMAS PD syllabus changed when the syllabus changed in 2015.
Long runs out, strength and conditioning/weight work in.
Less injuries, no decline in ability of OCdts to get through tests like LONG REACH and Endurance Race / Steeple Chase etc...

Brecon reports back to RMAS that the intakes recently are noticeably fitter.
Are you saying the methods that worked perfectly well* in the 70s might have moved on in half a century?

* if you allow for massive wastage...

QRK2

LE
Unsurprisingly body armour doesn't make anyone look their slimmest.
That OCdt played a high level of rugby and was physically fit and robust.

It's almost as if a snapshot on a video might not give you the whole truth.

However if one happens to be acquainted with said chap in the real world one might. You know what they say about assumption.

You do the All Arms after Phase 2 as far as I’m aware. There’s always availability for the ORs, I would imagine it’d more competitive for the OF ranks as there’s naturally less PIDs. There are a fair few up at CLR.

Just please don’t think you’re more commando than the bootnecks if you do end up doing the AACC.. it’s not altogether unlikely that you’ll lose your ‘recce engineer’ role with us, in favour of our AEs.

Well it has to be worth something because otherwise no one would be allowed to attempt AACC or P Coy having just come from RMAS. For good or ill, 44 weeks at RMAS is the gateway into the Regular Army for Regular Officers and that includes volunteering to serve in 3 Cdo Bde.

They normally have to get a recommendation to get to 29/24 and Logs and then go through the pipeline of gradual training to get to AACC.

As someone who went straight to 59 for the beat up from a non Cdo unit, I can say that already bring in a Bde unit with all the culture and fitness trg is a massive bonus.

Are you saying the methods that worked perfectly well* in the 70s might have moved on in half a century?

* if you allow for massive wastage...
Well we are still using methods from 1942 which still work perfectly well such as P Company and the Commando tests. Lots of running and tabbing for long distances involved in them.

Well we are still using methods from 1942 which still work perfectly well such as P Company and the Commando tests. Lots of running and tabbing for long distances involved in them.
Apart from the fact even P Coy and RAPTC have moved away from both.

Indeed, P Coy has actively reduced the amount and type of running...

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You know what they say about assumption.

A bold statement given that you've assumed something incorrect about the RMAS fitness standards.

The fitness training programme has improved dramatically. That doesn't mean the fitness levels have dropped.

share.

Latest Threads