AACC in the RGR

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question - I've seen some photos from the 2017 and 2018 RGR Journals that show people from the unit working as part of 3 Cdo Bde, including a small article about a guy that did his Commando course and then P Coy a week later. I know that P Coy and the Jumps Course is common in the unit as part of it's role with 16 AA Bde, but does anyone have any gen on if Officers & Soldiers get much opportunity to do the Commando Course, and how encouraged this is?

cheers

oppoStu

War Hero
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question - I've seen some photos from the 2017 and 2018 RGR Journals that show people from the unit working as part of 3 Cdo Bde, including a small article about a guy that did his Commando course and then P Coy a week later. I know that P Coy and the Jumps Course is common in the unit as part of it's role with 16 AA Bde, but does anyone have any gen on if Officers & Soldiers get much opportunity to do the Commando Course, and how encouraged this is?

cheers
Anyone in any corps in any regiment will get the opportunity to do the AACC or P-Coy course.

However, you will not serve in a Cdo or Para support unit unless they have vacancies for your role.

Anyone in any corps in any regiment will get the opportunity to do the AACC or P-Coy course.

However, you will not serve in a Cdo or Para support unit unless they have vacancies for your role.
According to training need - same as for any other course. It's all to do with training throughput which governs things like course size and frequency of courses.

Are the RGR one of the Infantry Regiments who have a cross-posting with RM? I know the PWRR and Fusiliers do (and one of the Guards Regiments as well, perhaps?)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

ugly

LE
We don't need no stinkin' badges.
I used to like my Crossed axes, especially in Maize and Green, Cavalry and RTR types used to be properly confused about what cookhouse I should be queueing up in!

Are the RGR one of the Infantry Regiments who have a cross-posting with RM? I know the PWRR and Fusiliers do (and one of the Guards Regiments as well, perhaps?)
The guards have/had y pl. Knew a Welsh guard who had both aacc and a stint in 3para.

Never even heard of "cross posting" mate, any gen on what it is or any idea where I could read up on it?

Ta

There are a series of Infantry Regiments who have a formal cross-posting with the RM. In effect, it gives baby boatneck Officers the chance to see a part of “big Army” (IIRC, the Regiments were selected because they were either Armoured or Mech Inf). The other side of the coin was that those Regiments got a bit of a view of the Amphib life.

I absolutely wouldn’t chose your Regiment on the very slim chance you’d get a cross posting. If you’re that desperate go and pass your POC and AIB...

Q_Man

Old-Salt
Are you sure it wasn't QGE? When 24 established as a Regiment, they were short on bods. A few QGE volunteered for the AACC and passed, and I believe at one stage there was a Troop of Nepali Commando trained engineers. I've certainly worked with a number of Ghurka soldiers who sported the mudguards in the Corps tech roster.

He was a very tall white RGR Officer who was daggered up...

Q_Man

Old-Salt
He was a very tall white RGR Officer who was daggered up...
I worked with RGR for two years in Brunei and their officers, despite still thinking they are living in the days of the Raj, are almost without exception young, fit and keen. As a static garrison, for the most part, they carry out a fairly mundane round of exercises and garrison duties.

They are all expected to attend the JWIC and it would not surprise me at all for one to volunteer for the AACC, and to be supported by the battalion. They like the kudos of having their officers or men attend these courses as it highlights their abilities to the rest of the army.

The fact that thousands of non RGR pass the course (not taking anything away from those who have, I understand it is a hard slog, I can't remember a time when I would have been in the right physical or mental state to give it a go) will not diminish their bragging rights.

It's akin to the Rock Apes gloating in their entirety about the few who serve in SFSG. The success of the few is celebrated by the many.

There are a series of Infantry Regiments who have a formal cross-posting with the RM.
Is there an exhaustive list anywhere?

I know that PWRR have one for NCOs - Phil Campion & Brian Wood MC have both done the AACC.

I seem to remember seeing a green bereted RRF officer too, and a daggered up Royal Regiment of Scotland officer too. Sure people have spoken of mythical PARA personnel wearing the commanod beret too.

There are three for Officers, so far as I can work out.

SG
PWRR
4 SCOTS

But I think there are also a series of postings in 3X Bde HQ, CTCRM and other places, which would allow the incumbent a shot at it.

The Argyll’s definitely used to have an attached Officer and I remember several young RM Officers at 3 PARA in the late nineties.
A PARA Regt SNCO, used to be a Tp Sgt at CTCRM as well, not sure if still the case.

I would assume that most of the Corps, e.g. REME, RLC, RSIGNALS, AGC, Intelligence Corps, RAMC etc. would have billets within 3X anyway despite not having any formed units.

Latest Threads