AAC vs RAF

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by stylus, Nov 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This could probably have gone in one of several forum topics but I assumed this would be the best place to start.

I'm planning on going into either the AAC or RAF as an engineer. For someone who wants to work with aircraft, the RAF would normally seem like the automatic choice, but I would say that 'army life' in general appeals more having been in the cadets, even excluding having the chance to get my hands on an Apache.

As per usual, getting un-biased opinions on the pros and cons of each are hard to come by. Ask anyone in experience from either side and, of course, their regiment, corps etc is great and the other is shit. Seeing as I've no experience of my own, could anyone give their opinions on what's likely to be the good and bad aspects of each. I understand most of you, if not all, aren't in the RAF but your points of view will still be helpful.

Just to emphasise, this is with reference to joining as an engineer rather than a pilot.

2. You may want to ask the same question the the REME thread mate.

In the Army its not the Army Air Corps that maintain thier own aircraft, we have grubby spanner bending urchins with a far less sexy capbadge to do that.

Saying that, sooner4 be a REME than a crab...... and you would get to wear a pretty blue beret.

3. ok, I'll post it there. cheers

4. never, ever go to the dark side... you will lose all self respect.

5. The Royal Navy have Aircraft too!!

6. and men with bottoms like empty catering bean tins

7. Priceless :lol:

8. RAF food is better

9. You must have been spoilt! I wouldn't feed the stuff we get to a rabid dog with no taste buds. Five tiimes through the blander then onto the hotplate with it! 8O

10. You must have been spoilt! I wouldn't feed the stuff we get to a rabid dog with no taste buds. Five tiimes through the blander then onto the hotplate with it! 8O

11. Join the RAF and you get to work along side the other services anyway. there was talk a few years back about transfering RAF avionic techies to the army to look after the apachie avionic fit. The harrier and helicopters are always away on the navy carriers so you get to see it all.
    You can only join the RAF as an aircraft maintenance mechanic now though, which means that you will be kicking tyres and pumping gas until you go back and do a trade course when you qualify as a technician in either the mechanical stream which looks after the engines and airframe or electrical stream which looks after leccie stuff.

12. HAY MATE IM IN THE ARMY AIR CORP ITS A GOOD LAUGH BUT ALL THE REME AIR TECHS I KNOW SAY ITS NOT WOT ITS CRACKED UP TO BE YOU CANT TRAVEL MUCH YOU HAVE ENGLAND GERMANY {NOT FOR LONG} BELIZE IF YOUR LUCKY AND GOOD OLD SUNNY NORTHERN IRELAND.. THE WARS OVER SO THEY SAY? .. I WOULD THINK OF YOUR TRADE CAREFULLY I JOINED THE ARMY TO TRAVEL AND SEE THE WORLD NOT STAY IN ONE PLACE. THE RAF AND ARMY ARE BOTH GOOD BUT THE RAF TRAVEL A LOT FURTHER AND BETTER PAID AND AND BETTER LOOKED AFTER . THE APACHE HAH HAH WASTE OF MONEY AND YOUVE 2 POSTINGS ENGLAND AND UMMM ENGLAND. GOOD LUCK :lol:

13. Please tell me you are not allowed near aircraft and don't have access to weapons and ammunition.

14. from my experience of working with the army...

RAF food and accomodation is generally noticeably better. JRs in the RAF tend to get treated better by the hierarchy, and it seems that techie pay in the RAF is better.

Promotion to NCO is slower in RAF (no lance jack rank) but you don't have to leave after 22 years, if your get to SNCO you can stay in until 55