AAC to busy so Navy helps out

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Guns, Mar 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sorry but you're thread title is bollaux.

847NAS was formally 3Cdo Bde Air Squadron and as such used to deploy to NI and take it's turn along with the squadrons of the AAC

This is simply an extension of that previous routine.

Nothing to see here, move along

3. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

And he feels the slow pull on the line, tick tick tick - pause and strike. Reel in. Gut and clean for tea.

Commando Helicopter Force | Royal Navy

Although it does beg the question why a Naval Sqn intended for Amphibious Operations is doing a stint in Afganistan, keeping up the skills????

Do the AAC not have enough crew etc to maintain a small detachment on the main effort for the whole of the Army? Yet again the Naval Service is having to back fill Army and RAF and still maintain a full capabilty to meet all its world wide committments. Just as well our Harmony time is flexible enough to meet this. And to think we are the smallest service and keep getting told we are irrelevant.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Not a bite mate, just putting you straight.

And you're right, it will do them no harm to deploy to Afghan, I'm sure they will do a fine job as they have done in the past.

Now, back in the barrel with you ;P

5. Well done Jack for finding the slots to keep the spectre of skill-fade at arms length.

Just one question; SK lift capacity v Lynx?

6. Exackery, as my friend Mr Wong used to say

7. I feel sorry for the Navy. To be so insecure in your own skin that every time you send guys to Theatre, you feel the need to trumpet it everywhere.........

Royal Navy on active service in Afghanistan

You can just feel the self-pity simmering over from the first posting -

We've seen rare reports of Naval Strike Wing, RN Medics, RN Clearance Divers and RN Loggies in Afghanistan but, in general, the contribution of non-RM members of the Naval Service has been invisible. The universal wearing of dessies doesn't help either, leaving the Great British Public and the mass media with the impression that only the Pongoes and Crabs are involved. I've started this thread in an attempt to redress the balance somewhat. Just to reinforce my point

It's "out-of-core" activity that's keeping the RN in the game just now. Very limited aviation and the RM, and that's about it.

8. There is more than one game in town.

9. Will be even worse if the Crabs seize F35B from the WAFU's

Nobby

10. *too*

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well, I'm pretty good at getting crabs to nibble, but, Guns, I doff my cap Sir, Outstanding effort. :)

12. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

If you read through recent speeches made by VCDS/CDS they both note that the RN has rather taken a backseat in funding and capability terms since the commencement of Land centric operations, Iraq through to Afghanistan and Ellamy, despite the commitment of RN Service resource, and that now is the time to start looking ahead and giving the RN the funding and capability it needs. Whether that will happen time will tell, but I doubt the RN is out of the game - our militia (Or former Army) having large components of capability (inf, armour, arty, SF) removed, how much more before that might soon be regarded as being "out of the game"?

Methinks that line may apply so easily across all three Services if we're not careful.

13. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

I can't decide if you are trolling for a bite or are serious. If a bite its a good one.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/62482/strategic-defence-security-review.pdf

From the SDSR we can see there are 7 Standing Military Tasks

1. Defending the UK and Overseas Terrorities - Naval Service doing this.
    Security at Sea| Royal Navy
    Preventing Conflict | Royal Navy
    Protecting our Economy | Royal Navy
    Example of units in action River Class
    or Dramatic Backdrop As Dauntless Sails On | Royal Navy

2. Providing Stratigic Intelligence
    Ice Patrol and Survey Ships
    Example From Scott of the Antarctic to Scott of the Atlantic
    Plus the unseen covert submarines doing their thing but to name two areas of the Naval Service

3. Provide the nuclear deterant
    I think this covers it Ballistic Submarines | Royal Navy

4. Supporting civil emergency service in time of crisis
    OP FRESCO - despite the media saying it was the Army the RN and RAF manned all the BA teams who did the proper firefighting.

5. Defending our interest by projecting power strategically and through expeditionary interventions
    Assault Ships | Royal Navy coupled with About the Royal Marines | Royal Navy
    The Navy and the Environment
    leading to this capability
    Navy Roars Into The Med For Key 2012 Deployment | Royal Navy

6. Providing defence contribution to UK infulence
    HMS Edinburgh is on her way home| Royal Navy
    Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central/ U.S. 5th Fleet
    HMS Argyll Takes Part In West African Exercise | Royal Navy
    Royal Navy sailors share 500 years of seafaring knowledge with Saudi partners | Royal Navy

7. Providing security for stablisation
    HMS Argyll Takes Part In West African Exercise | Royal Navy
    British military intervention in the Sierra Leone Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So out of core activity, no that is just something else we do on top of all our other committments.

If you are serving and can get on DII(Secret) go to the PJHQ web page and check out the percentage of personnel and forces dedicated to Operations (bear in mind Nuclear deterent is not a PJHQ task) and you will see we are more committed that the other services.