AAC regimental selection

Nano

Swinger
Evening chaps,

I am considering applying to be an Officer and I was looking at potential regiments for sponsorship.

I am immediately drawn towards the AAC, I took my CBAT for the RAF a few months ago and scored a healthy 130 - I am still in the process but I believe having spoken to people serving that being an officer in the Army (AAC or not) is more in line with what I am after.

How competitive is regiment selection for AAC at the moment, only top third of recruits need apply? Or more a matrix of aptitude, grading and overall performance?

Excuse the naive question but if my second choice regiment is also a historically oversubscribed one, do you stand less of a chance if they're not your first choice? Or in other words, do they show preference to those who made them their primary?

Cheers in advance,
N

130 will likely be a competitive score for AAC - I have heard of them taking candidates in the 70-80 bracket before now.

Everyone will tell you that their particular Regt / Corps is "top third only" (Well, maybe not the RSigs......)

Best you can do is go for it, and put 110% into everything you do. That way, if you end up a 4-ship lead on an AH Sqn, you'll know it paid off. If you end up in the AGC(SPS) or RAMC as an MSO, you'll at least know you gave it your best.

arkn88

Swinger
From a friend who commissioned recently you no longer have to grade your choices as either first or second. So if you go for two competitive regiments you shouldn’t get penalised for putting one then second. From what I remember when I went through if you have the AAC as one of your choices you have to have a third choice in the event you don’t pass grading.

How times have changed. Early 80s, direct entry to AAC from Sandhurst was in the same bracket as RAMC admin officer and RAPC. Good luck with it.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
From a friend who commissioned recently you no longer have to grade your choices as either first or second.
This was true when I went through. The problem is that all lists involve writing one choice before the other so units will interpret that as a ranking.

arkn88

Swinger
And there’s the awkward question of ‘out of the two regiments which is your favourite’ that you’ll get in the interview.

How times have changed. Early 80s, direct entry to AAC from Sandhurst was in the same bracket as RAMC admin officer and RAPC. Good luck with it.
Isn't that amazing? See, the AAC blokes I was at PJHQ with would convince you in the bar that entry to the AAC from Sandhurst was broadly equivalent to:

Direct entry as CO 22 SAS
A place on the programme as the first ab initio Space Shuttle pilot
Nuclear Submarine captaincy whilst concurrently studying for the post of Red 1 in the Red Arrows.

I think they taught the Fleet Air Arm a thing or two about bulls**ting..........!!!!

About the only thing they could teach the Fleet Air Arm
Oh I don't know; that organisation has paranoia, waffling and obseqiousness to Fish-heads as it's mottoes............

Isn't that amazing? See, the AAC blokes I was at PJHQ with would convince you in the bar that entry to the AAC from Sandhurst was broadly equivalent to:

Direct entry as CO 22 SAS
A place on the programme as the first ab initio Space Shuttle pilot
Nuclear Submarine captaincy whilst concurrently studying for the post of Red 1 in the Red Arrows.

I think they taught the Fleet Air Arm a thing or two about bulls**ting..........!!!!
Cough, Major Tim Peake
Tim Peake - Wikipedia

Nano

Swinger
Thanks for the replies and banter. What is the rough success rate of applying and then getting AAC? Assuming good scores and grading.

Aptitude score of 130 should get you through that 'hoop' (only issue would be if you failed more than one aspect of it by more than half a point, but AAC will let you know).

For Pilot AAC put more stock in Flying Grading - if you can try and get this done before you start RMAS or it will either eat into all of one of your leave periods, or you'll try to get through RSB without it which is putting yourself on the back foot.

Aptitude, medical and grading tend to filter out a lot of applicants for AAC Pilot. After that RSB goes off your RMAS report and the interview as well as recommendations good or bad from the AAC officers posted at RMAS who can feed information directly into the RSB.

Success rates vary, but even good aptitude and grading scores don't guarantee you a place. Some OCdts at RMAS with top aptitude and good grading scores are still given a "sorry it's a no" at RSB due to not performing well at Sandhurst.

Nano

Swinger
Aptitude score of 130 should get you through that 'hoop' (only issue would be if you failed more than one aspect of it by more than half a point, but AAC will let you know).

For Pilot AAC put more stock in Flying Grading - if you can try and get this done before you start RMAS or it will either eat into all of one of your leave periods, or you'll try to get through RSB without it which is putting yourself on the back foot.

Aptitude, medical and grading tend to filter out a lot of applicants for AAC Pilot. After that RSB goes off your RMAS report and the interview as well as recommendations good or bad from the AAC officers posted at RMAS who can feed information directly into the RSB.

Success rates vary, but even good aptitude and grading scores don't guarantee you a place. Some OCdts at RMAS with top aptitude and good grading scores are still given a "sorry it's a no" at RSB due to not performing well at Sandhurst.
Thank you for your reply and advice.

I passed all of the pilot aptitude elements of the CBAT, which is positive.

Good stuff.
Have you completed AOSB Briefing and Main Board yet?
AAC usually will re-send you for their aptitude test once you have a pass from those (or sometimes just from Briefing) as the AAC aptitude is slightly different to the RAF one (apparently).

Then focus on getting medical and flying grading done well in advance of walking through the doors of Sandhurst on Ironing Board Sunday.

Good stuff.
Have you completed AOSB Briefing and Main Board yet?
AAC usually will re-send you for their aptitude test once you have a pass from those (or sometimes just from Briefing) as the AAC aptitude is slightly different to the RAF one (apparently).

Then focus on getting medical and flying grading done well in advance of walking through the doors of Sandhurst on Ironing Board Sunday.
I'm in a similar position as Nano. You won't have to re-do aptitude tests they're all the same. I only scored 102 but was deemed enough for AAC. I heard that the pass mark used to be 80 but they're recently shifted it up to 100. They can afford to have lower scores than RAF and Navy because they sift potential pilots through flight grading before completion of officer training, unlike RAF & Navy who do it afterwards.
I had my flying medical at Cranwell after they retrieved my scores, and I've been told to book onto flight grading (pending my success at Main Board later this year).

One thing to note though, is that they retrieved my scores off my RAF Pilot application, and I received a letter shortly after very clearly stating that they can't afford, and don't want to take applicants who are applying to be pilots in the other forces, and instead are looking for "Good officers who can fly, instead of Good pilots who can complete a commissioning course".

Hope this helps

Wow this thread really made me realise how much things have changed at teeny weenie airways:cool:gone are the days it seems, when the 3most important board qualifications were, 1/ acceptance as fully paid member of the Cooks Club.2/ownership of early model morgan,allard or etype, mgb or ah bugeye,are occasionally accepted if applicant is from Mons,3rd and final Must!! must have cavalry or lancer backgrounds and numerous available brightly coloured dress uniform trousers, foreign language aptitude was also very helpful, as most of the civilian flying instructors were of mersey side and wirral origin:chef:

I'm in a similar position as Nano. You won't have to re-do aptitude tests they're all the same. I only scored 102 but was deemed enough for AAC. I heard that the pass mark used to be 80 but they're recently shifted it up to 100. They can afford to have lower scores than RAF and Navy because they sift potential pilots through flight grading before completion of officer training, unlike RAF & Navy who do it afterwards.
I had my flying medical at Cranwell after they retrieved my scores, and I've been told to book onto flight grading (pending my success at Main Board later this year).

One thing to note though, is that they retrieved my scores off my RAF Pilot application, and I received a letter shortly after very clearly stating that they can't afford, and don't want to take applicants who are applying to be pilots in the other forces, and instead are looking for "Good officers who can fly, instead of Good pilots who can complete a commissioning course".

Hope this helps
Or, as we put it in the RAF, if you join us as Aircrew you're joining the Executive Stream of the Service from where the Command elements are sourced. Join the AAC or FAA and you're joining a subordinate arm of a Service not focused on flying.

And as for the AAC being "Good officers who can fly" I have yet to meet an AAC officer who was comparable, to the outside un-trained eye at least, to blokes from the Paras or Infantry.

Latest Threads