AAC Pilot selection age limit?

A chap in my unit recently applied for consideration for possible selection as a pilot for AAC. I saw his reply back from glasgow (I am his CHRS) and it clarified that the upper age limit is 31.5 years of age because of training and other issues. not sure if age discrimination is involved though. :?

Tankyman said:
not sure if age discrimination is involved though. :?
No. It's called return of service. If a chap starts the process at 31.5 years old and takes at best a year to go through the selection process, he will start his flying course aged 32.5 and be spat out the other end 14 months later. Then, if he goes Apache, thats at least another year or so before he is a useful and qualified pilot. That would make him nearly 35 years old which could mean only 5 years return if he goes to his IPP (40 years/22 year point).

In all honesty, the age limit is a moveable bar depending on several factors.

Funny dit from a few years ago. One senior, crusty AAC Lynx aircraft commander was flying DAAvn (or as was DAAC) around various German barracks many years ago. On approach to the usual Brks sports pitch/HLS, the crew were calling out the various obstructions inside the HLS. Pilot mentioned 'yep, goal posts on the undershoot'. Crusty aircraft commander, quick as a flash said 'careful, if they're AAC ones, they'll fuck off across the area'. DAAvn sniggered to himself whilst his entourage chuntered and tutted. :)

I have a letter from 2007 telling me I was too old as I would soon be thirty, my flying experience was a credit too me but basically f*uck off you old **** :)

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Funny dit from a few years ago. One senior, crusty AAC Lynx aircraft commander was flying DAAvn (or as was DAAC) around various German barracks many years ago. On approach to the usual Brks sports pitch/HLS, the crew were calling out the various obstructions inside the HLS. Pilot mentioned 'yep, goal posts on the undershoot'. Crusty aircraft commander, quick as a flash said 'careful, if they're AAC ones, they'll fuck off across the area'. DAAvn sniggered to himself whilst his entourage chuntered and tutted. :)
Did DAAvn or his entourage say anything to you after the task Flash?? :? :D

20NOV1917 said:
Yes, they said 'You'll go far young man, this time next year, you'll be a Sgt'. Wouldn't have been so bad but I was a SSgt at the time.

Seriously, it wasn't me, it was a chap who was served his entire flying career in Germany (and come to think of it, his whole army career in Germany. I'm sure you know him, 20NOV?).

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
20NOV1917 said:
Yes, they said 'You'll go far young man, this time next year, you'll be a Sgt'. Wouldn't have been so bad but I was a SSgt at the time.

Seriously, it wasn't me, it was a chap who was served his entire flying career in Germany (and come to think of it, his whole army career in Germany. I'm sure you know him, 20NOV?).
No surely they said 'you'll go far young man, you can emulate yourself on 20NOV!' Now that old man of the corps (ShotOne) has got his staffie, i'm trying desperately to find an aircrew Sgt who is younger in years and seniority than me!

big_un said:
Can anyone confirm the current age limit for AAC pilot selection.
Cheers.
Did selection and grading about 6 years ago and whilst on grading at Newton the chief instructur and his entourage came up from MW and we were told then that the age by which you had to START your pilot's course by was changing from 32 to 30. Don't know if this is still the case though.

Cougar said:
big_un said:
Can anyone confirm the current age limit for AAC pilot selection.
Cheers.
Did selection and grading about 6 years ago and whilst on grading at Newton the chief instructur and his entourage came up from MW and we were told then that the age by which you had to START your pilot's course by was changing from 32 to 30. Don't know if this is still the case though.
That's about right on current figures, depends whether yr a rodney or not and whether they'll move the goal posts tho... :twisted:

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Tankyman said:
not sure if age discrimination is involved though. :?
No. It's called return of service. If a chap starts the process at 31.5 years old and takes at best a year to go through the selection process, he will start his flying course aged 32.5 and be spat out the other end 14 months later. Then, if he goes Apache, thats at least another year or so before he is a useful and qualified pilot. That would make him nearly 35 years old which could mean only 5 years return if he goes to his IPP (40 years/22 year point).

In all honesty, the age limit is a moveable bar depending on several factors.
So a 42 year old Tw@t like me would stand no chance then? :x

I'm 29 applied last year went on tour now about to take the aptitude at cran and turn 30 a few days later they have said they bent the rules slightly for me.

Hello all,

Apologies for resurrecting on old thread - and asking what must be a common question - but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this one.

Does anybody know whether there has been any update/clarification to the upper age? The above posts seem to suggest that 31.5 years is the absolute maximum, but that there is a strong preference for applicants to be the other side of 30... however, this information might also be out of date by now.

http://www.army.mod.uk/aviation/18082.aspx states that officers need 2 years' service and to be on the course by 30, but for NCOs it simply says anybody (qualified for Cpl) with 4 years' service can apply.

I'd be very grateful if anybody in the know could help out.

I'm only a soldier applicant at the moment.

If 31.5 years were the upper limit then my aim would be to work hard in the Corps for a few years to at least put myself in the position where an application would be a possibility. However, since I will shortly turn 26, I'm trying to establish whether eventual pilot selection is completely out of the question.

Many thanks.

Latest Threads