Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AAC Officer Pilot Selection

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask about how Officer Pilot selection is conducted in the Army. Obviously, you are a soldier first and are primarily tested/selected as such, but at what point does the various elements of aircrew selection start? and what are they?
I know with the RAF, aircrew Computer Based Apptitude Testing, (CBAT) is one of the first things you do. This is to save everyones time if you simply don't have the hand/eye coordination. But is this the same for the Army?

I'm a bit out of date with the current selection process, but your first port of call should be with the recruitment officer at Middle Wallop who will explain things fully for you. He/she will also help arrange a familiarisation visit to an AAC unit if you're keen on following it through.

I'll try to get a number for you, but if you trawl through previous posts in this area of the site you might find the question has been asked and answered already.

Wrong answer. Trawling across the boards will get you pinged as Spam. Harsh, but that's what happens, Pick a forum, ask your question and await an answer, same as everyone else does. Thank you.
18 years in REME, so I know how these things work. You ask a question in a crewroom and await an answer. Sometimes you get it, but the majority of times theres a lot of piss taking and you don't end up with a decent answer to your legit question. No bother, you just move on and ask the same answer in a different crewroom until you get a sensible answer!

The_Duke

LE
18 years in REME, so I know how these things work. You ask a question in a crewroom and await an answer. Sometimes you get it, but the majority of times theres a lot of piss taking and you don't end up with a decent answer to your legit question. No bother, you just move on and ask the same answer in a different crewroom until you get a sensible answer!
You are on a website, not a crew room. You are in a world where when you move “crew rooms”, so does everyone else with you. New room/board, same people.

Fair point, but my question was about an officer role in army aviation. Didn't get a decent answer in the officer room, so tried my luck in the aviation room.
As it turns out, I was right to do so because I got a decent answer there.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Unless things have drastically changed, A noncom can be a pilot in the AAC, Back in the old days there were ads all over saying a Sgt Pilot used to be a bricklayer, Other civilian trades also took to whirlybirds and some flew
fixed-wing.

This wiki link may help ... Good Luck.

Unless things have drastically changed, A noncom can be a pilot in the AAC, Back in the old days there were ads all over saying a Sgt Pilot used to be a bricklayer, Other civilian trades also took to whirlybirds and some flew
fixed-wing.

This wiki link may help ... Good Luck.

It's a good job the question has been answered months ago.