Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AAC Officer Pilot Selection

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask about how Officer Pilot selection is conducted in the Army. Obviously, you are a soldier first and are primarily tested/selected as such, but at what point does the various elements of aircrew selection start? and what are they?
I know with the RAF, aircrew Computer Based Apptitude Testing, (CBAT) is one of the first things you do. This is to save everyones time if you simply don't have the hand/eye coordination. But is this the same for the Army?

QRK2

LE
An acquaintance went down this route a couple of years back, he was at Uni and already had an AOSB pass. He did his flying medical and 'Aircrew Aptitude' tests at RAFC Cranwell then went to do flying grading at Middle Wallop all before his RMAS start date. IIRC he was recommended to do this as if he had started at RMAS first he would have had to do the grading in leave time. He did pass it all but never went to RMAS in the end.

Understand that a few hours in a Grob are no guarantee of success (I had 200 hours fixed wing and aced Basic Fixed Wing but Basic Rotary got the better of me by some margin).

Know that the AAC has the largest collection of David Shepherd paintings (him wot paints almost exclusively African wildlife and helicopters).

This was mid 80s so really this post is of no use.

Yes, I’m bored.

Good luck.

Understand that a few hours in a Grob are no guarantee of success (I had 200 hours fixed wing and aced Basic Fixed Wing but Basic Rotary got the better of me by some margin).

Know that the AAC has the largest collection of David Shepherd paintings (him wot paints almost exclusively African wildlife and helicopters).

This was mid 80s so really this post is of no use.

Yes, I’m bored.

Good luck.
15 Oct 91 'Grandad' and I took XZ217 to Mr Shepherd's studio so he could produce;

Attachments

• david-shepherd-original-Lynx-M7-firing-TOW-missiles-while-flying-over-Challenger-Tanks-objecti...jpg
    david-shepherd-original-Lynx-M7-firing-TOW-missiles-while-flying-over-Challenger-Tanks-objecti...jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask about how Officer Pilot selection is conducted in the Army. Obviously, you are a soldier first and are primarily tested/selected as such, but at what point does the various elements of aircrew selection start? and what are they?
I know with the RAF, aircrew Computer Based Apptitude Testing, (CBAT) is one of the first things you do. This is to save everyones time if you simply don't have the hand/eye coordination. But is this the same for the Army?

First task is passing AOSB Main Board

Once you have done that, get in touch with AAC Recruiting (their email address is on their twitter profile or via Google) and begin the Army Pilot selection process which is:

Aircrew Aptitude Testing - 1 day at RAF Cranwell
Aircrew Medical - 1 day at RAF Cranwell
Army Flying Grading - 3 weeks at the Army Aviation Centre in Middle Wallop

Preferable complete all these stages before you go to RMAS (this isn't mandated. But you must have completed both Altitude and Medical in order to be taken to the AAC Regimental Selection Board (RSB) as an AAC Pilot candidate)

At RMAS you apply for an interview at the AAC RSB - they can take up to two candidates for each place.

If successful at RSB then you commission into the AAC as a Pilot and will be loaded onto your Army Pilots Course.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A big plus is to find anyone who has gone through the system recently for current tips,ask around friends.See if you know
anyone in one of the service clubs in
London and see if they know any AAC types

Latest Threads