AAC NCO or AAC Officer?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Nikolai1989, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good day. I realize it has indeed been quite a while since I have posted, but that has been due to the fact that I have had to deal with migrating to the UK, continuing the joining process, surviving my first winter, and overall just getting myself acclimatized to both British life and also gaining a better understanding of what army life shall be like. As it stands now, I am due to start basic training in June, going specifically for RLC chef. Now, over the past couple of weeks, I have come across some rather interesting information, that specifically being the biopic of Captain Jo, former RLC chef now turned AAC pilot and as such I must admit that I have become rather inspired by her career fluidity and progression and as such I threw myself into an all consuming research about what it is like to be an AAC pilot, positives, negatives, etc. So far, all things being equal, I am still quite enthused about it. As such, I am hoping to possibly attempt the selection board once I have met the eligibility criteria. However, the spanner in the works for me is that I also have ambitions of commission later on in my military career and as such I have considered combining both passions like Captain Jo did, by hopefully commissioning as an AAC pilot. But I have been informed by both recruiters and also based on comments on this site that the flying life of a AAC pilot officer is indeed a short one as once having achieved the rank of Major then one is marched off to 'fly a desk' and thereby leave the flying to Junior Officers and NCOs. As such, seeing that with each passing day I am developing a deeper passion for being in the cockpit, is it rather true that most AAC pilots often become disillusioned with being in the cockpit and hence the very low retention rate of NCOs and as such, going NCO Officer would be the better aspiration to go after? Also, however I am indeed acutely aware that with commissioning, I could possibly be risking the longevity of my military career as officers gaining a IRC and RC are becoming as endangered as the Bengal Tigers of Asia. As such, should I risk my more possibly certain 22 yrs of army career to seek for a more iffy, though admittedly quite valuable commissioning that could possibly end after 8 yrs due to the mob giving me marching orders as there is a lack of retention contract posts? And finally, I have enlightened myself on the matter of being a LE officer so do you believe that being a LE officer after hopefully a full career as an AAC pilot would see me being able to get a full pilot's career and also gain the opportunity to humbly lead some of the greatest soldiers one could ever come across? All in all, my question in a nutshell is, given all the aforementioned parameters, what would you recommend as the most feasible, given past successful similar attempts by other individuals to achieve what I am speaking of? Any info or response would be most appreciated.

P.S. - I will be 23 in Sept., so I am hoping to achieve the necessary rank of Corporal or be recommended for Corporal by my 27-28th birthday so I can truly make a decision of either going AAC officer pilot or AAC NCO. Do you believe that achieving Corporal in 5 yrs in the Logistic Corps as a chef is feasible so as to meet the eligibility requirements for AAC selection and also be within the age window to start officer training which I have been made aware, the selection process as an officer can take well over a yr so I would love to start the process by 27-28 so hopefully I can get into RMAS just in time or just a bit earlier than my 29th birthday?

Thanks in advance for reading and indeed I know it is quite a read, but I just wanted to show I have considered as many factors as possible in seeking a concrete answer.

2. Where to start!

First off if your main ambition is to be a Pilot then you would be well advised to go directly for Commission and apply for the AAC, failing that RN then RAF. Very few NCO's get the chance to go Pilot

Jo did very well, but was one of the very rare few to get through the selection process and ultimatley become a Pilot.

3. Do you have any other options open to you other than RLC chef? Might be better advised to go for one of the "almost straight to corporal" units i.e. RMP, REME air tech, Int Corps, etc. Guys in those units will generally have their 2nd tape within two years of basic training (at least that used to be the case). Obviously the trade training for these units will be longer and require more brain power than learning to knock up lasagne in the back of a 4 tonner, but presumably in any case you realise a higher than average mental aptitude is required to become an AAC NCO or officer pilot?

4. I flew with an ex-chef NCO pilot. When we went down to Lulworth on door gunning he ripped into the chef in the cookhouse for bad drills - things like deep-frying sausages and other slop-jockey sloppiness. Half an hour later he was behind the hot plate running the show.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fred Frog 1987 - unfortunately, because of residency issues I am not eligible to go for Int. Corps. until after being in the country for 10 years and REME air tech I believe is 3-5 years of being in the UK is the residency requirement, which I still do not meet as yet. And so, that's my problem as well, as many of the areas my recruiter notes I'd be intellectually suited for, due to residency requirements, I cannot be allowed into them yet. As for RMP, by the time I had completed ADSC, all of RMP training slots for this year had been filled as RMP is one of the most sought after soldier jobs I have been informed. I am also aware that a higher than average mental aptitude is required for being a NCO pilot or Officer pilot and I believe I possess it. If it wasn't for residency issues I would have just applied straight for being an officer but I can't do that until the next 4 years at least.

Victorian Major - That's cool. So atleast I know now its not highly improbable as if Jo is not just a one hit wonder as how some persons would have me believe then, though it will be hard, I will try my best to go for it. Just that small matter of being promoted in time to meet the age requirement.

6. Sounds complicated then Nikolai. Have the other two services got similar residency issues for you? Whilst inferior to the Hairy Arm Corps, they also have officer aircrew, even NCO aircrew in the RAF but those aren't pilot roles. Might well be possible to apply for a commission and go for your wings that way, but time might be against you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

7. Do you also have Alzheimers? How many of these threads are you going to post?

8. Fred, I did consider those but unfortunately they aren't recruiting for those areas for some time to come. And even if they were recruiting for those areas, indeed because of residency issues I would not be eligible as yet. And by the time I do become become eligible residency wise, my age would make me ineligible for being a pilot in RAF as I believe the cut off age is 25 and I would be 27 by the time I become eligible.

Screw_The_Nut - I posted it in aviation section as I was advised by somebody else as they figured I would be able to get a bit of advice here as I had incorrectly posted it in the RE section.

9. Are you a saffa? No shortage of saffas on pilot's courses, you'll feel right at home.

On a more serious note, if you want to move into the pilot stream quickly there's only one way to achieve that, and that's to commission. Doesn't have to be the AAC, several have successfully used the "round about" route after not being selected for direct AAC commission.

If you want to go the NCO pilot route via another Corps, then you've been given more than enough advice, and there's more advice on these boards already. Your ambition of joining, basic and trade training, being recommended for Cpl and getting loaded on a course in time is just about achievable, but it's all down to you in the trade you choose. If all you want to be is a pilot and use another trade as a vehicle for that then you're likely to be found out and suffer the consequences in terms of deferred promotion.

Where have you moved to, northern Norway FFS?

You strike me as being a little immature, albeit intelligent and erudite. You've applied, and been accepted, for training as a chef. You should have thought about all this before applying, the information is all there in the careers offices.

Instead of daydreaming of what might be, knuckle down and get on with training and your chosen career, then think about applying for pilot training. In a few months you may discover a desire to change gender to more emulate your heroine.

10. On no the boring pathetic attempt at a 'wah' is back yet again.

11. Nikolai- where are you actually from? You may find it difficult to get on the Pilots course if you're from certain countries, even if it is within the commonwealth.

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Going by his accent I'd have said Jamaica.