AAC making pilot entry open to anyone.

I was at the RNAS yeovilton airshow today and was speaking to one of the pilots about becoming one. I asked him about the selection and as im sure you are aware, you either have to be an officer to be a pilot or have to be the rank of lance corporal recommended for promotion to corporal. Now i was speaking to him and he said that by the end of this year, the AAC are opening up the pilot course to anyone regardless of rank. Originally it wasn't but now it will be an option for anyone conducting phase 2 training.

The only new requirement is a high score in the aptitude test.

He didn't say when this would be happening but it will be in the next year.

I was at the RNAS yeovilton airshow today and was speaking to one of the pilots about becoming one. I asked him about the selection and as im sure you are aware, you either have to be an officer to be a pilot or have to be the rank of lance corporal recommended for promotion to corporal. Now i was speaking to him and he said that by the end of this year, the AAC are opening up the pilot course to anyone regardless of rank. Originally it wasn't but now it will be an option for anyone conducting phase 2 training.

The only new requirement is a high score in the aptitude test.

He didn't say when this would be happening but it will be in the next year.
What about educational requirements?

Had a mate who went as an Observer. His logic being that the entry requirements were lower, he would get stick time and should he want to convert to pilot it would probably be easier. Last time I saw him he had just landed at our's for lunch and was happily in the right hand seat of a Gazelle.

Do they still have the observer role, or has it gone through a name change?

I imagine it is also 'open to everyone who meets the minimum eyesight standards'

Had a mate who went as an Observer. His logic being that the entry requirements were lower, he would get stick time and should he want to convert to pilot it would probably be easier. Last time I saw him he had just landed at our's for lunch and was happily in the right hand seat of a Gazelle.

Do they still have the observer role, or has it gone through a name change?
Long gone.

WRT education standards; I recall AJ Smith standing outside Buzzard with a bunch of Puma crew looking at a skein of geese doing their formation thing and saying "See that lot? Not a Degree among them." in his Burnley accent.

Then he went and spoiled it all by stoofing-in in the Mournes...

Last edited:
One of my colleagues was heard to say "look at this lot" (the lot being a group of licenced aircraft engineers all ex-mil and on over £60k each and not a degree in sight) "think how much we'd be on if we had degrees". Howls of derision. Degrees!!! the speelin and grandma I see on a daily basis tells it's own story.

Pal of mine is an ex senior driller for a major oil company, again not a Degree or O level in sight. Worked back to back 2 on 2 off with a university grad. On arrival he would find a detailed diary of every fart and spilt cup of tea on the rig over the previous two weeks. He would staple the next two weeks diary pages together. On the first page he would write Rob arrived and on the last Rob departed. He was the youngest driller ever appointed by the company, a record he still holds even though long retired.