AAC in the desert

Hi all, first time posting here, but have read the odd thread...

I've currently got some desert DPM clothing under my bed and want to add some insignia to it to make it look the part, rather than just plain old jackets that they currently are. I have 84 pattern and 95 pattern. Now, I have an interest in the Army Air Corps (my cadet detachment wears their colours)... And would like a jacket of what the AAC actually would've worn. However, it's hard to find any information or pictures of these chaps in DDPM, despite 4AAC having been deployed to Kuwait in the Gulf War, and 9AAC going to Afghan in 07-08.

If anyone could help me out, it'd be great. The first thing is - did they actually do any non-piloting tasks that would've required them to wear combat uniforms? I know that often these tasks are delegated to other brigades, currently REME is alongside AAC. Secondly, if so, what insignia did they wear? I guess they'd have worn their 9AAC DZ Flash in Afghan, along with 16Bde patching standard or subdued. But the thing is, I just am not sure. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Slime

LE
I have a suspicion that the AAC clerks and drivers might have done the odd non piloting job.

Sanitised kit; why aircrew use velcro.

Er, when I flew, I had no insignia at all. The ultimate authenticity would be desert combats containing pocket lint and lumocolour stains.
And 20 B&H

Thank you for the comments. I get that the AAC clothing did work slightly differently due to their primarily being in choppers, so pilot equipment worn while up in the air... But the ground crew or time spent in the barracks/hangars is more of what I'm aiming for. Victorian_major, thanks for your insight, and if it's not prying too much where/when were you were you in the corps, just so that I can get an idea.

4AAC on Granby. Bog standard DPM on deployment, desert cam issued prior to ops. Subdued wings and AAC Eagles were sold by the PRI prior to leaving Detmold. Nice they are, too. Still got some.

Last edited:
Er, when I flew, I had no insignia at all. The ultimate authenticity would be desert combats containing pocket lint and lumocolour stains.
I always thought Army fliers would wear growbags. Is this not the case?

You’d still get a kicking in combats.

You’d still get a kicking in combats.
"Plausible deniability." As in "It wasn't me that's just blown a TOW-shaped hole in your cardboard decoy, John."

Trained for Europe,
Dressed for jungle,
Fighting in desert.

Desert Alligators - We Can Remantle Kuwait.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys... For what is meant by AAC eagles? I'm not sure I've heard of these before. Did you on Granby also have the red/green regiment patch?

Thanks for the info guys... For what is meant by AAC eagles? I'm not sure I've heard of these before. Did you on Granby also have the red/green regiment patch?
The US has the Blue Oyster Bar, the UK has the AAC Eagles.

Well I’ll go back in time and do it in a growbag then, just for you.
I’ve just got an image of you stood next to the smouldering wreckage of a helicopter when the republican guard rock up.

“Hands up pilot!”

“Pilot? Not me mate, I’m just the tech storeman doing a kit check”

Latest Threads