AAC H135M to replace Gazelles in Recon

It's recce, not reece or recon.

And 660 doesn't exist any more, and when it did it didn't have aircraft of it's own, they were all pool aircraft, leased by a contractor to the then DHFS through the MoD.

I thought that Gazelle died years ago.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
660 Sqn has Airbus Helicopters H135 for flying training but AAC wants H135M for Reece duties replacing the Gazelle.

An thoughts please ?
cheers
Already serves as the Juno HT1 trainer with the RAF, so makes sense in terms of fewer types of airframes in service overall across the UK military.

japseyewarrior

War Hero
Already serves as the Juno HT1 trainer with the RAF, so makes sense in terms of fewer types of airframes in service overall across the UK military.
If the NMH is Airbus then it would make more sense, similar avionics etc. I have a feeling the 135 is going to NI because it looks like something else rather than it being the MFTS trainer.

Doubtless like the last shit show of selling them off where they went out of the door for under a 100K a piece to then have their new owners selling them for nearer a million once they got bored with them.

The Gazelle looked sleek and graceful - whilst still able to strut its frontline funky stuff.

The H135 looks like it is flown by ex AAC pilots who are no longer sleek and graceful.

If, however, the door is easy to remove - and they are readily available for parachuting - it would be churlish to poke fun at it.

How long does it take to get to 10,000' ?

There are a number of the araldite wood pigeons still doing sterling service in the role they've done in the emerald toilet for the past few decades.

660 is still at Shawbury delivering BRW?
My apologies if I got it wrong, but I thought it had been replaced by 1 FTS RAF.

ETA: Just read up and you are, of course, perfectly correct.

Last edited:
The Junos aren't owned by the RAF, they're leased by a contractor for the MoD.

TamH70

MIA
Oh, that's the rebranded EC-135, isn't it?

Hmmm.

Also used by police forces in the UK - the associated surveillence** fit could well transfer accross saving money there as well - on the design side

**Possibly not comms - unless the NI Aircraft do use police radios to work with PSNI

Barkhane
téléchargement.jpeg

Gz over my house every couple of months, normally in high hover but sometimes transiting at 2000’ or so. Got about 3000 hours on it so very envious when I see/hear it.

135 is a nice cab, never flown it but a lot of mates have doing med/police so why not. Nice to have two engines when your arse is in the trees and the new generation fenestron is pretty quiet. Unlike the whistling chicken leg.

4BBF262F-0A62-4BA5-8406-5EF5581F3925.jpeg

Canada?

Gz over my house every couple of months, normally in high hover but sometimes transiting at 2000’ or so. Got about 3000 hours on it so very envious when I see/hear it.

135 is a nice cab, never flown it but a lot of mates have doing med/police so why not. Nice to have two engines when your arse is in the trees and the new generation fenestron is pretty quiet. Unlike the whistling chicken leg.

View attachment 634668
Canada?
Looks like it to me, man next to it in temperate gear and the C/S 5F, looks typical Canada as does the colour scheme, oh and the absence of trees.

Airbus Heli are making a mint from NOS parts for the Gazelle and remaining Alouettes, when perfectly good replacements like the Squirrel have been available for decades. The 135/145 is the newest iteration of seperating you from your money,especially if it keeps the Americans out.

Also used by police forces in the UK - the associated surveillence** fit could well transfer accross saving money there as well - on the design side

**Possibly not comms - unless the NI Aircraft do use police radios to work with PSNI
*cough*couldn't possibly comment*cough* ;)

View attachment 634668
Canada?
Looks like it to me, man next to it in temperate gear and the C/S 5F, looks typical Canada as does the colour scheme, oh and the absence of trees.
BATUS indeed, from the cover of the book The Gazelle by David Oliver.

Latest Threads