AAC Aptitude Tests

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by curriej343, Jan 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there. I've got my AAC Aptitude Tests at the end of the month and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what happens? There's a few threads already on here, but most seem to have culminated in people PMing answers/info.

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. tbc

tbc Swinger

You tip up at RAF Cranwell, and you will sit in front of a computer for about 5 hours (there are a few breaks in the middle, don't worry). The tests will examine spacial awareness, mental arithmetic, hand/eye coordination, memory function (memorising alphanumeric sequences of up to 15 figures) and a few others (cant remember exact details, I was there about 3 years ago).
    You'll then have an in-depth medical, testing eyes, ears, balance, functional reach, height, and they'll go through your medical history.

Good luck!

(Anyone else please feel free to add anything I've forgotten)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. I did my aptitude tests about 3 months ago, tbc has pretty much summed up what happens. The first day was spent doing the tests and parts of the medical, all very relaxed with ample time given for meals and you are free to do the tests at your own pace. You can't really prepare for the tests as they say you either have the aptitude or you don't.

My advice would be get on top of your mental arithmetic and SDT calculations. If you have any other questions PM me!

4. play some flight sim games and get used to landing you copter at night?
    that may not be helpful, but it may be who knows?

5. As long as you have an ego the size of Wales you will be fine.

6. So, when did you fail selection then?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. It'll probably start like this...

Remember to always treat your kite, like you treat your girls and it's all about having a good navigator.

8. In terms of the eye-hand-coordination tests, there ain't much you can do to prep; as people have alluded to, Flight Simulators etc might be of some use but personally I doubt it. You can either do it or you can't.

What you can prep for are the mental agility / numeracy / capacity tests. Do as much in the way of mental arithmetic, IQ tests, puzzle book type stuff as you can. When I went to OASC (Biggin Hill, that's how old I am) I prepped for the mental arithmetic side of life by practising multiplication and division of 3 digit numbers.

It'd take me an hour to do one of those now; WITH a calculator.

9. I swear by the Nofriendo 64 as key to my success. Bonus points are also awarded for treating the RAF with appropriate disdain whilst at Cranwell.

10. Actually, I passed it Sherlock.

11. Well done, any prize from the top shelf.

12. That shrinkwrapped copy of **** Ballerinas please.

• Like Like x 1
  13. May I have one of those T shirts that says 'I could have flown fixed wing if I wanted but preferred helicopters'?

14. That has made me laugh. It has also made me want to go the the corner shop!!! That is a real publication, right?

15. I always wondered what kept them up on their toes...