AAC Aptitude Score

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by undecided, Mar 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,

Can anyone clarify the required aptitude score for the AAC? It use to be 80/180 and I wondered if it’s still the same. Also, how reliant are the AAC on the aptitude score for selecting pilots?

I've just completed the AOSB main bored and wondered what my chances are of getting a place in the AAC. I took the aptitude test a few years ago for the RAF and only scored 109/180.

Do the majority of AAC officer have highly competitive scores such as 120/140? If this is the case then I'd have to do bloody well at grading.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

2. Was it that uninteresting? Really? Maybe this isn't the job for you, young man :twisted:

As far as the aptitude score goes, it's one of those moveable goalposts Flashy is so keen on. Judging by the quality we've had recently I reckon the score must be about 3 now :lol:
  3. lol only just noticed that........no it was really fun and exciting.....
  4. Couldn't comment on the AAC side of things, but the RAF minimum of 113 is hardly upheld. It's a very competitive score, and the OASC is regularly turning away people with scores of more than 120. If you don't get what you need for pilot the please a career in NC Aircrew, that's where we need people!!!
  5. I imagine it all depends on timing really. I know that they were taking people with a score of 80, but depending on the ITT and manning figures I imagine it varies quite a bit. The RAF pass mark is 113 I believe, but generally they look for people with a score of 130+ because they have such a large amount of applicants and the training system is a bit bottlenecked at the minute. Who can blame them? If you had your pick, would you want a pilot who had just scraped by, or one who had comfortably passed?

I was under the impression that the AAC rely a lot on the aptitude tests as well as grading results, and not one or the other.
  6. Undecided, I think the best advice would be to give it a go and ensure you try your very best. If you fail then you can walk away knowing you gave it your all and it just wasnt meant to be.
  7. The Royal Aeronautical society advise anyone wishing to become a pilot to fork out around £300 for the test at RAF Cranwell first, so presumably if you're close but without cigar you can keep going back as many times as you can find 300 stinkers until you have the magic numbers....
  8. Cheers for the comments guys. Muttley your absolutely right no harm in trying.

9. The whole point of the aptitude test is to errr, test aptitude. Its one of those 'you've either got it or you haven't' sort of things. Not really something you can 'learn'.

Ok, think of it like this. You blow several bundles of £300 on the test and eventually pass. What has the person learned? That they have little natural aptitude really. Do you think that they will breeze the rest of the course? Doubt it because the whole test is designed to filter out those who dont have it. All the 'paid for test' will achieve is relieving you of £300+ and possibly allowing you to flounder slightly further in to the flying course before getting chopped.

Sounds like a fucking brilliant business plan to be honest. Is it the RAeS who actually run the mock aptitude test? If so, canny idea. :wink:
  10. I read about this in a PDF I got off the RAeS site yonks ago. Can't find it any more but then my powers of search may be impeded by beer at the moment.

If my memory serves the document said the test happens at RAF Cranwell. Don't know if they do 'mocks' or rent out their testing facilities to civilians as well. This is what I was led to believe by the bumph though, and it was focused towards those who were going for CPLs.
  11. I cant imagine that any form of pre-aptitude testing would be beneficial. In one respect, it may be useful for a candidate to see if they are up to it or not. But, thats what the whole military process is there for and its free too. I can't see much use for the civilian side either because as far as I'm aware, the aptitude testing requirement for CPL is a darn sight lower than the military test. The military test is designed to 'tier' candidates from fast jet, helis all the way down to Fat Albert pilots - Army, Navy and CrabAir. Just sounds like another way of fleecing a bag of money off someone who wants to live the dream.
  12. Maybe civilian flying schools/operators accept best-effort scores

Edited for inebriation. :compress:
  13. The aptitude tests test for innate, not learned knowledge and unless you were to practice them everyday you'd not have any advantage over them at all. (Take this from someone who has sat them, and passed them twice.) There are some tests you just cannot prepare for.

Instead, concentrate on the things you can change. Fitness, knowledge, interview techniques, etc.

Also, they frequently change the tests and add new ones in. I was part of a testing group for a new aptitude test and it was pretty nails. There's no preparing for that bastard.