AAC application duration

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by terrymusgrove, Aug 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am very much interested in a career in the army as an officer and have approached my local AFCO. My preference would definitely be AAC and have already done my aptitude test.

I have just finished my A levels and have decided not to go onto further education and am very eager to start my military career.

Although research has made me familiar with the application stages and their individual duration I am unsure of how long the whole process will take from walking through the AFCO doors to arriving at RMAS?

As I have already completed my aptitude tests, fitness tests and medicals in the past I was hoping that I may be able to make January intake if the army will have me.

Feedback would be much appreciated
  2. May I just ask you why you want to join the AAC?
  3. My advice - go to uni; get the life experience and joint the UAS and get flying - however if you don't want to, you need to allow at least 6 months for the AOSB process from start to finish then also time to complete grading before Sandhurst otherwise you lose leave whilst you are there.
  4. Over the last few days I have had to weigh up the pros and cons of university and finally decided that I would be much happier going straight into the military rather continue with education.

Losing leave isn’t a massive worry (at the moment); with this in mind do you feel it may be a possibility to enter in January, providing I am successful at AOSB?
  5. No, you should aim off for may. I did my briefing then the earliest main board I could get was 3 months after; and that was the FIRST available board with everything running smoothly. I then had 3 months before RMAS. You also need to allow for PCCBC, time for fitness etc. Did you fail aptitude for the RAF per chance?

YouWILL WANT your leave, trust me - do grading before RMAS; you may get grading in your first term when you are absolutely knackered and the last thing you want to do is spend your 3 weeks working hard. Bearing in mind you may get a 3 - 6 - 12 or even 24 month delay on main board (the first 2 usually for phys and the second lot for maturity and usually given to school leavers to allow them the time to mature) and may even have to do PRAMS being a school leaver. Hence why I emphasized university. I didn't want to go and I'm glad I did! You will be one of few non-grads as RMAS is still heavily comprised of grads in comparison.
  6. Thank you very much for your advice, gives me an idea of a time scale that I can now work to. Considering I have just turned down my uni offer I’m not really in a position to go to uni, nor am I that enthused. If I am in a situation where I will have to wait before allowing entry to RMAS I am hoping that I may be able to do some experience work with the reserves or something, a role to keep me involved, but will discuss further with AFCO hopefully.

No my aptitude score was gained through a flying scholarship that I was awarded over this summer and medical/fitness tests are from Welbeck DSFC where I have been for the past 2 years. Welbeck gave me the opportunity to take a really good look at the Army and I was impressed with what I saw (everything I did at college was primarily army). From there my love for aviation and desire to fly drew me to the AAC.
  7. Dont put all you'r eggs in one basket! You might have passed apptitude etc. but you still have to pass grading. The chop rate there can be quite high, and the fact you have flown before wont matter. I had a guy with over 150hrs on mine with ppl who failed. If you pass then you still have to be selected at Sandhurst. If this doesnt happen be prepared to go to another Regt/Corps. Dont mean to sound negative, but you have to think about all eventualities and be prepared for the worst.
  8. Are Welbeck entrants entitled to go AAC? Just asking.
  9. I think so. We have a few officers who have regional accents so I guess we do. :wink:
  10. mmmmmmmm not sure. Generally they have to go to Corps with limited exceptions. Regional accents don't necessarily mean Welbeck . :)
  11. You mean like the Army Air CORPS?
  12. By which I meant non teeth arm. But I might be out of date. God knows they even take people for the RAF so a lot has changed.
  13. If memory serves, there are two teeth arm places reserved for Welbeck cadets on each RMAS intake. The rest go to support service type corps. One even went to the Life Guards in around ´80.
  14. That was the regime in my day but specifically 1x inf and 1x rac. But it might have changed.
  15. In my day evreyone wanted to fly fast jets.............You can make what you want of that.

Apache, looks nails as fook though. Does it not?