AAC Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Monk, Oct 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello

I'm after some helpful advice on careers within the AAC. I've looked on armyjobs and just describes a crewman. I'm interested in helicopters and would love a chance to work with them, eventually wanting to be a pilot.

If i applied, what sort of roles could i go for. I have looked, but cant find anything. Or failing that, what other jobs in the army, can i work with helos?

Advice please?

Thank you

2. Thanks iyoung.

What sort of thing can i expect from a AAC soldier? What sort of duties, if you've done it, i'd rather hear first hand?

I dont want to sign up, then not expect to be able to get anywhere.

Thanks mate.

3. Why not be a monk?

4. I'm not keen on there benefit package.

5. anybody else know? or is it not a popular trade?

6. Sorry my answer was not very forthcoming but I have been out of the Corps for long time and things have changed a lot since my time.

The one thing I can say no matter what operations or exercises are going on the AAC is nearly always part of them.

7. Unless you get Commisioned first, you will have a long hard slog to be an AAC Pilot. You have Basic training then your various ground trade training (sigs MT etc), after that a couple or more years and you could get lucky.

Shaun

8. Thanks.

Do they have crew chiefs on helos. I know yanks do, maybe possible to work up to a pilot through ground crew - doorgunner - pilot sort of thing?

Sorry for bone Questions, just trying to find out as much as i can.

9. No the Air Corps do not have crew chiefs. Crew requirements depend on the aircraft but it normally a Pilot (Officer or NCO) and an Aircrewman

There are also a limited number of opportunities for personel to apply for Aviation Crewman training, for employed as a Doorgunner, systems operator or winch operator.

10. Good bits of advice in this thread: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=62074.html

As has been said many times before, if you really want to fly then the AAC may not be for you. If you want to be an Officer who can fly, then the AAC may be for you. :D

If it's the former, the RAF may be better suited.

11. You have to be an officer to Fly in both the RAF & the Navy.

The other thing you need to think about is do you want to fly fixed wing or rotary. The Army does have more helicopters than the RAF but all the larger rotary aircraft such as Wessex, Puma and CHinnock are with the RAF. The Army main aircraft are Gazelle, Lynx and Apache.

The advice about applying for a commision in the AAC is a good one but if you are unable to get a commision the Army is the only service that has NCO Pilots.

12. Think goon was pointing out you have more opportunity to be a dope on a rope in raf/navy