aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Mod

HGV, don't post b0llocks in response to an honest question. Presumably you are some kind of non-Inf type. if you dont have anything constructive to say, stay off the board.

DM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Transfer to another Corps/Regt, Corps like the RLC and AGC are usually (overly) impressed with ex-infantiers. Speak to your boss/OC at least it will show you're willing, if you just sit in the shed moaning no-one is going to come get you.

Wouldn't class myself as overtly gree but as for piling on weight, doubt the RQMS is shoving mars bars down your grid, you can sort that out yourself!

Sounds to me like you need a new challenge fella...

It depends on wether you want to remain in the forces or not don't it, or has the job just got you down...

Where do you want your career to go?, do you want promotion and given a 2ic role back in a rifle company? or do you want a trade?

The army world is yours for the taking mate, just show a bit of will power and speak to the boss about a change...

up to you...can't do it for ya...

Exactly kingo... don't go honking to your boss. Have a clear defined objetcive (may sound familiar) he cant help you if you don't make it clear exactly what you want. My advise is get a trade and continue to stag on chap!

You could either apply for a commission - you'll get snapped up by the sound of things, or stand for Parliament. YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU!!

Neil. Sounds like you've got a mild case of the blues. First get fit, go for a run at lunch time, hit the gym at night, as you get back into shape you'll feel better about yourself, regain your self confidence and project a more professional image. Once you're back on your game request an interview with your company commander tell him of your aspirations ask his advice, chances are he'll only be too pleased to help.

Good Luck.

Love that.... put in an oc's and ask his advice... I did that once... walked out the office with me p45... nahhh only messing... got sent to the emerald isle.... best thing I ever did.

Does sound like you got the blues... you could have a carreer as many have said work on your fitness and you will feel better about yourself and think of something challenging that you want to aim for and go for it :D

ugly

LE
Try an admin posting to a TA or RTT, The old 2 years of adventure training can be a nice break. I too served in the old 1st Bn and bailed through a combination of boredom, lack of future prospects and a long view into some crap postings. Glad I am now but if you find a way to stay in it would be better than being a civvy and getting stiched for Iraq as a reservist. Lets face it you'll join the TA as you will miss it and that will probably dissillousion you! Remeber a full time wage for a part time job until you want a pension. If you can hide from Manning long enough to get the pension then its better than struggling for a mortgage in your forties.
Once you leave you are an ex whatever. after you have been out longer than you were in it passes. The Association catches up after a while and you will meet up with your mates when you are forty.

Only 5 years in so you should still be young enough to grab hold of yerself and have a good chat. Good advice so far, get fit - ID where you want to be, set your objectives and go for it.

Don't forget, and some may disagree, if the goal is seen as civvy street then that is not the end of theworld. It will still be a challenge and may be just what you need.

Good luck.

Hello all, to be blunt I am a five year infantry bn private soldier who feels his career is going no place soon & is thinking of signing off. I like to think I started well in bn, I came second on a Coy “Best PTE soldier” comp back when I cared but now I have been sidelined into a HQ stores job, am piling the weight on & I don’t think I would be taken seriously back in a rifle coy. Therefore I would like to know what everybody’s recommendations are. Thanks all (& please no ripping by overtly green SNCOs)

Neil,

try the RAF Regt, you are officer material, it beats stagging on in 1 LI !

Seriously, "Soldier first, tradesman second" is bollox - look after No 1 because if you don't you will be wasted, get along to your next local Services career fair. You can type & spell so have a head start on your Inf peers. Look 5 -10 years away & speak to someone you respect for advice.

Avoid scaleys like plague as abysmal man managers, gunners ok but no use to you once you reach 40, sappers are good fun but work you hard, AGC easy but life depends on the units you get sent to, I think Medics are the best bet 4 u & you still get the chance of a civ qual.

Can't believe I'm typing this... 8O

The RLC are seriously recruiting for certain trades AND offering retrade bounties of 1500 quid (Subject to certain things - and use my name as I might some as well!)

One in particular is the AT - Ammunition Technician - trade (obviously the one I'm in - der!). There 6 courses this year and if you can add up, speak and remember daft facts it could be for you. Retrade, 9 month cse, LCpl, good report 1 year, Cpl and higther rate pay. :?

There are down sides to it (the RLC for one) but I'd rather see this lad in the army than in Tescos - spreads the tours better :wink:

PM me for any details I can find for you if you want

Later. FB

Of course you could stay in the Infantry - you are obviously no idiot and the Infantry can be challanging. I've mostly enjoyed my eleven years so far but I do remember getting a little stalled at one point about four years in.

Stick it out, get your fitness back up (It doesn't sound like you're too far gone yet) and most of all try and make sure that the chaps in charge know your keen. Things can get better and It would be a shame to lose a decent lad at a time like this.

Perhaps your goals could be seperate from your career for the time being?
Perhaps study in your spare time is the answer. I recently began studying a part-time history degree in my spare time. Obviously the university you pick has to be flexible as you will never be at the lectures and find yourself being mailed most of your coursework and deadlines. It's alot of extra work and I'm not finding it easy as I have been out of academic practice for a long time but I am enjoying it. Is it useful to my career? Probably not but it might come in in the future.

Don't lose heart just yet.

As I have posted elsewhere. I always said I would bin it when I stopped enjoying being a soldier. Don't carry on if you dislike what is happening. You have done five years, take advantage of the resettlement packages, start afresh and chances are you will be amazed at what you can now achieve as a civvy with a soldiers mentality. Like me you may not have had a glittering career withing the green machine, but just like a hell of a lot of ex-regs here you can do exceedingly well as a civvy.

Busterdog said:
Neil. Sounds like you've got a mild case of the blues. First get fit, go for a run at lunch time, hit the gym at night, as you get back into shape you'll feel better about yourself, regain your self confidence and project a more professional image. Once you're back on your game request an interview with your company commander tell him of your aspirations ask his advice, chances are he'll only be too pleased to help.

Good Luck.
Neil, this is the best advice I think I've seen in a long while here on ARRSE. When you have acted on it, consider where you might like to go if you don't fancy staying in 1LI (a fine bunch IMHO - worked with 'em in Iraq on Telic). My suggestion is that you aim for a part of the Army that is expanding at the moment - good places to start are the Int Corps, the RE, the RLC and the RAMC. The RMP also recruit about 30% of their manpower from Voluntary Transferees. This is a pretty broad spread of capabilities. If you are serious about civvy street, why not delay the move, transfer to a part of the Army that will give you a trade, which you can then use on the outside.

Too many people don't realise how many opportunities there are for our people in the Army - don't be one of them!

Good luck! :D

Neil mucker-in-the-butts and soon to be a fellow LI punter.

It does sound like a case of the signing off blues. I had this at my 3, 6 and 9 year point and every now and then I get it. I'm leaving in 18 months, not through my own choice, my 22 years are up and I am absolutely terrified of what I have seen in Civvy Strasse so far working at a college, having to account for every hours skiving on the internet (like now).

I was in a rifle company for 10 years went to the ITC as a screw and then they sent me to Mortars absolutely kicking and screaming until I found out it was one of the best moves I had made and thoroughly enjoyed ever minute of it. I was lucky enough to finish off my mortar career as the platoon 2ic and was absolutely gutted to go.

Generally if you moratrs are the same as ours you're treated a bit better than the average gravel belly anyway-try it you might like it.....if not try another corps don't be tempted to civvy street it's a cold and miserable place

don't be tempted to civvy street it's a cold and miserable place
Hmmm. I would argue against this point. Civvy street is not a cold and miserable place, merely different. If someone is getting disillusioned because they are not getting promoted at what point should they realize that they may be pi*****g into the wind trying. 6 Years? 9 Years? What happens when they get too old to start afresh? For some the biggest decision they can ever make is the most selfish one 'What is best for ME'. Would your advice make this person stay in for another 6 years, watch his friends progress whilst he stands still? Would this be in his best interests? I know from first hand experience what that feels like as I was re-traded against my will as a lance jack at my 5 year point and was never able to catch up career wise because I was at the bottom of the pile again. According to many MRO road shows soldiers should be reaching Cpl level at this point, and if you're not what then?
Please don't make this person suffer when he could be so much more than he currently is.
Civ-div is what you make it. The ones who find it hardest are usually institutionalized and unwilling to make the transition.

Speedy I agree with what you say, hopefully civi street isn't as cold and lonely as it looks from the warmth of the Armys security.

I know what it feels like to be re-traded, but saying that it suited me. I have know blokes who have had a slow start and then have flown and also blokes that have flown and then stopped (like me).

Neil it always saddens me to see soldiers become disheartened, good men who are worthy of more than what they are given but if you do want to stay you'll have to fight for it. But fellah it's up to you.

G30ps is right. It will get better again. We all have a bad time sooner or later. Don't lose heart. The Army can't afford to lose good lads (despite what the government think.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Army Pay, Claims & JPA 5
D The NAAFI Bar 38