AA Gill sniper article from before the current wars.

#3
Gill writes exceptionally well.

Good journalistic drills.

Nice bloke, who'd have made a good soldier, IMHO.
 
#4
A fine article. Originally in the Sunday Times Magazine IIRC.
 
#5
Good article...not sure he'd've made a good soldier though :p
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
Outstanding article.
 
#7
Carcass said:
Good article...not sure he'd've made a good soldier though :p
Probably would, IMHO.

Youngish. Fit. Good shot. Fond of smart clothes and correct drills. Capable of independent thought and action. Good communicator. Eager to be thought well of, as a leader of men. Popular; and in tune with contemporary thought.

Cavalry, probably. Like a sort of Latin-less Shan Hackett . . . . .

Probably have made Brig.
 
#8
caubeen said:
Carcass said:
Good article...not sure he'd've made a good soldier though :p
Probably would, IMHO.

Youngish. Fit. Good shot. Fond of smart clothes and correct drills. Capable of independent thought and action. Good communicator. Eager to be thought well of, as a leader of men. Popular; and in tune with contemporary thought.

Cavalry, probably. Like a sort of Latin-less Shan Hackett . . . . .

Probably have made Brig.
Well he hasn't been youngish recently - he's 53 next month.

Looks well though.
 
#9
I read that first time around (long before ARRSE...!). It read well then and still does.

AA Gill doesn't always fire me up but that article should be required reading for anyone who wants to know how that part of the Army works!

Litotes
 
#10
EX_STAB said:
caubeen said:
Carcass said:
Good article...not sure he'd've made a good soldier though :p
Probably would, IMHO.

Youngish. Fit. Good shot. Fond of smart clothes and correct drills. Capable of independent thought and action. Good communicator. Eager to be thought well of, as a leader of men. Popular; and in tune with contemporary thought.

Cavalry, probably. Like a sort of Latin-less Shan Hackett . . . . .

Probably have made Brig.
Well he hasn't been youngish recently - he's 53 next month.

Looks well though.
Oh dear! How the years slip by . . . . .

Clean-cut type the army needs.

Definitely Brig. Maybe Maj-Gen on a good day.
 
#11
caubeen said:
EX_STAB said:
caubeen said:
Carcass said:
Good article...not sure he'd've made a good soldier though :p
Probably would, IMHO.

Youngish. Fit. Good shot. Fond of smart clothes and correct drills. Capable of independent thought and action. Good communicator. Eager to be thought well of, as a leader of men. Popular; and in tune with contemporary thought.

Cavalry, probably. Like a sort of Latin-less Shan Hackett . . . . .

Probably have made Brig.
Well he hasn't been youngish recently - he's 53 next month.

Looks well though.
Oh dear! How the years slip by . . . . .

Clean-cut type the army needs.

Definitely Brig. Maybe Maj-Gen on a good day.
At a rate of 42 posts a day I'm not surprised! 2889 since March 9th?
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#12
Highland Brigade, we'd be lucky!
 
#13
What is all this? AA Gill is a complete t*sser who gets his kicks either from destroying the reputation of a perfectly decent restaurant in his 'fude column' or by associating with fine, upstanding military chaps, hoping some of their gloss will rub off, onto his miserable, talentless carcass.

The man's a total knob.
 
#14
EX_STAB said:
caubeen said:
Oh dear! How the years slip by . . . . .

Clean-cut type the army needs.

Definitely Brig. Maybe Maj-Gen on a good day.
At a rate of 42 posts a day I'm not surprised! 2889 since March 9th?
You bothered to calculate it??!! Deary-me! Worse than the offender . . . . .

Get me home for my summer's fishing, away from these reindeer, flies and 16hr/day interweb monitors!
 
#15
Don't know much about Gill, but any mate of Jezza Clarkson can't be all bad.
 
#16
Mr_Deputy said:
you STILL there Caubeen old bean?
Toujours pret, Mr_D.

And at your service.

Bushmills for you? 8) 8)
 
#17
King_of_the_Burpas said:
What is all this? AA Gill is a complete t*sser who gets his kicks either from destroying the reputation of a perfectly decent restaurant in his 'fude column' or by associating with fine, upstanding military chaps, hoping some of their gloss will rub off, onto his miserable, talentless carcass.

The man's a total knob.


YAY! As much as his panderings massage the ego of soldiers I can't stand him. The man is made of fetid c.*nt drippings. He is the most self righteous, self aggrandising w.anker I have ever read. I read 'The Angry Isle' and got so pissed off with his incessant Brit bashing that I almost couldn't finish it. (Tenuous sarcastic irony in the last paragraph for his readers...)

I think the guy is a twat.
 
M

Mr_Logic

Guest
#18
King_of_the_Burpas said:
What is all this? AA Gill is a complete t*sser who gets his kicks either from destroying the reputation of a perfectly decent restaurant in his 'fude column' or by associating with fine, upstanding military chaps, hoping some of their gloss will rub off, onto his miserable, talentless carcass.

The man's a total knob.
I have to say in his defence that he does write extremely well in both his restaurant and TV columns. His articles are well written, funny, risque and above all, intelligent. And, scathing although he can be, he can also be exceptionally sincere in his praise of that which deserves it. His words over the recent Lie of the Land programme about farming being a case in point. He can also be honest and realistic. He openly admits that as a food critic he has probably inadvertently eaten more saliva, mucus, bodily excretions etc than the average 3 Para mortarman. He regards it as being part of the job.

Journalists are generally self-serving lond-life scum. The key to understanding AA Gill is that he makes his living as a critic. He's not meant to be nice.
 
#19
Anyone who can write that the British armies obession with getting a beret shaped correctly is just a little bit gay :D is alright with me .
His writing is always entertaining even if you dont agree with him
 
#20
Terrific piece of writing.

I had the pleasure and the privilege of escorting A A Gill in Basra last summer as part of his wider tour of Iraq with Jeremy Clarkson. He was particularly predatory towards thick but good looking Jackets Captain.

I suppose that might have made him a good officer in some regiments - not mine though.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheVisitor Miscellaneous Jokes 0
shiny_arrse The Intelligence Cell 19
Forastero The Intelligence Cell 11

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top