AA-12. Worlds deadliest shotgun! (Video)

Crickey! Is there an airsoft version?

What a load of Arrse...

OK shotguns have some military uses - killing dogs and some EOD roles, but frankly they only have limited value in most military situations due to the limited range and the legal restrictions from the Haig conventions. 12 bore does not really have enough capacity or energy to carry anything useful without excessive recoil. You need to use a different technology such as Hi-Low in the 40mm.

If you are going to carry something the size of an AA 12 or a SPAS why not carry a proper rifle with a 40mm launcher? A useful magazine capacity plus an effective carrier round...

The only other area where shotguns have some use is in the close urban situation where you may want to limit collateral damage, but this is more in Police territory rather than military.

There is nothing particularly magic about the AA 12 - mostly advertising puff..

What's with the whispering?

If the presenter doesn't want anyone to overhear, perhaps it would best not to broadcast on YouTube! :roll:

How many of those 20-round drums would a user realistically be able to carry?

More to the point, how would they be carried? :?

The one area where shotguns do shine is in the jungle. History indicates that most contacts in the jungle happen within 5m. If point man has a shotgun, his IA will allow a fair amount of lead to fly in the general direction of the opposition. The old Rem 870 pump was up to the job. Semi auto or full auto shotties tend to be very ammo sensitive and so not best suited for the task. Yes, the old SPAS could do either or, but once again more controls to get covered in crap and fail at the wrong moment.

Anyone here remember the old Malay loads?

HE117 said:
There is nothing particularly magic about the AA 12 - mostly advertising puff..
Its comments like this which make me love ARRSE 8)

I could have done with that when me and the lads went clay pigeon shooting, I might have hit something then.

i want one. and i think it will have its uses, in the future i can see quite a lot of close quarters urban warfare...i mean not everywhere is as relatively open and arid as afghan or iraq

Even less socially acceptable than an over and under!

Will have to wait till I get home to watch the vid , cant access utube from work

Although....

From looking at the vid again, the gun does fire from an open bolt, so at least the basic design is sound.

However my opinion regarding the 12 bore as a war winning round still stands... Ok for dogs and the odd car boot but not what you really want in your hand if confronted by Terry with an AK at 100+m...

HE117 said:
Although....

From looking at the vid again, the gun does fire from an open bolt, so at least the basic design is sound.

However my opinion regarding the 12 bore as a war winning round still stands... Ok for dogs and the odd car boot but not what you really want in your hand if confronted by Terry with an AK at 100+m...
Don't the Loadie types in the back of USMC Amtraks have shotguns? They might shift a few units there.

Mr_Deputy said:
From the opening seconds of the youtube clip......why is the SWAT (? hope correct - guess that isnt standard British police procedure) just firing a 12 bore repeatedly (into the ceiling) of a room in which an armed (I assume) assailant is holding out ...while lying down on the floor outside? Surely a bit of CS would make more sense? or use the SIDE of the window where he could shoot down, sideways etc.

Maybe he was in fact aiming at Spiderman and he was clung to the ceiling.

so I suppose given an inept armed response unit - an automatic shotgun would be ideal as they might actually hit something. At some point.
I suspect the scene you mention, (Not BTW the AA-!2) is the application of 12 GA Ferret CS rounds. These devices are designed to be used by tactical teams during rapid entry for high-risk warrants, hostage rescue and barricaded-subject situations.

The 12-gauge CS Ferret® barricade penetrating round is fired from a police shotgun and will penetrate light barricades such as domestic windows, internal doors and partitions. The Ferret® round breaks open covering the barricaded subject with liquid CS.

I have used them many times and they work well. We have also used the 37 MM Ferret round, out of our police 'gas gun' to add more CS to a larger area. They both work well and reduce the problems many have had in the past with burning types of grenades and projectiles. (Note: 40 MM Ferrets can be purchased for use in military grenade launchers. (Most police departments have the 37 MM gun.)

I agree with many of the cons on the AA-12, expressed here. That said, I think there are many speciality uses for the 12 GA shotgun in both the police service and the military. We used the Remington Model 870 Pump 12 GA and the Semi-Auto 12 GA Benelli. The Benelli was my favorite and I own one as well. :wink:

It seems to me a shotgun much like the AA-12 was developed by the South Africans some time ago that was called the 'Street Sweeper.'

We used ours a lot for gas delivery (12 GA Ferrets) and breaching using the special breaching rounds, that have been developed for that purpose. As I recall military units in Iraq use the military shotgun that is issued now, for breaching as well.

The yanks have a fin stabilised non lethal round for shotguns as well as a non lethal crow dispersal round i.e rubber shot. I have fired it and prefere it over our baton gun, its faster unlike our break barrel and load system. If the shotgun is folding stock its no drama over size! They also have 40mm crow dispersal and solid baton rounds for there 203. Why don't we have it for the UGL?

.338lapua_magnum said:
The one area where shotguns do shine is in the jungle. History indicates that most contacts in the jungle happen within 5m. If point man has a shotgun, his IA will allow a fair amount of lead to fly in the general direction of the opposition. The old Rem 870 pump was up to the job. Semi auto or full auto shotties tend to be very ammo sensitive and so not best suited for the task. Yes, the old SPAS could do either or, but once again more controls to get covered in crap and fail at the wrong moment.

Anyone here remember the old Malay loads?
We used them in a Remington pump carrying 5 shot. Idea was that a metal jacket would hit bush etc and be sent off Christ knows where. The shot spread out and even two or three pings would almost certainly lead to gangrene and lingering death (which was too good for them anyway) Never had a peep about Geneva convention. Same operation where Daimler heavy en-route up to Cameron Highlands used to give a good squirt of half inch Browning at the bends or where they had to slow down. I cannot remember the colour of the card - yellow, rd or what.

Latest Threads