A400M

View attachment 604025

Thanks for the quote @PhotEx . I did not know who 'Sir Humphrey' was until I looked it up.

I do not work for, and have no professional connection to MOD or UK Armed Forces. All views expressed are purely my own and do not reflect those of HMG.

So he is basically a bloke down the pub then. I am sure an interesting one with some valid views but not quite the informed voice of current serving blokes down the pub.
He also posted on this forum as jim30 and was very well thought of. I believe a part of the reason he kinda stopped was arguing with PhotEx et Al over the years. So the irony right now is palpable.....

He also posted on this forum as jim30 and was very well thought of. I believe a part of the reason he kinda stopped was arguing with PhotEx et Al over the years. So the irony right now is palpable.....
Thank you kindly.

Yes, I very much appreciated the posts from jim30 in the past so I now see the connection.

I am sure he must still ‘check in’ on here often so my post remains unedited.

From one bloke in the pub (me) to another.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
View attachment 604025

Thanks for the quote @PhotEx . I did not know who 'Sir Humphrey' was until I looked it up.

I do not work for, and have no professional connection to MOD or UK Armed Forces. All views expressed are purely my own and do not reflect those of HMG.

So he is basically a bloke down the pub then. I am sure an interesting one with some valid views but not quite the informed voice of current serving blokes down the pub.

He was an MB SPAD. His blog is obligatory reading for everyone from Sec State down, naturally LAND studiously ignores it.

The figures for C-130 use during PITTING are compelling, especially as a number of those missions were ‘off the reservation’ so to speak, a mission the A400M didn't do, because it’s a capability the A400M doesn’t have except as an aspiration on paper.

128 by C-17 – 7 airframes used
56 by C-130J – 3 airframes used
44 by Voyager – 7 airframes used (Brize to Al Minhad AB)
42 by A400M – 4 airframes used

I wouldn’t take a bet against a buy of MC-130’s in the next review of the current review when DSF shouts ‘told you so’. That the A400M can acquire in just two years all the combat capability and experience the C-130 fleet has requires quite a suspension of disbelief. Some major ‘it simply cannot’ do the mission issues have already been raised by DSF, but waved away in the face of the ‘saving money‘ God - except the RAF isn’t short of money.
We do rather seem to have developed an ability to delete capabilities to ‘save money’ then have to buy them back later.

He was an MB SPAD. His blog is obligatory reading for everyone from Sec State down, naturally LAND studiously ignores it.

The figures for C-130 use during PITTING are compelling, especially as a number of those missions were ‘off the reservation’ so to speak, a mission the A400M didn't do, because it’s a capability the A400M doesn’t have except as an aspiration on paper.

I wouldn’t take a bet against a buy of MC-130’s in the next review of the current review when DSF shouts ‘told you so’. That the A400M can acquire in just two years all the combat capability and experience the C-130 fleet has requires quite a suspension of disbelief. Some major ‘it simply cannot’ do the mission issues have already been raised by DSF, but waved away in the face of the ‘saving money‘ God - except the RAF isn’t short of money.
We do rather seem to have developed an ability to delete capabilities to ‘save money’ then have to buy them back later.
I do agree fully with your last paragraph.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Was that by RAF alone? If so it says a lot about our capability.

One of these puppies orbiting Hurn at ever decreasing altitude, in what looks like fuel burn before an unscheduled pit stop.. I think they've gone public because the plane spotters are swarming..

One of these puppies orbiting Hurn at ever decreasing altitude, in what looks like fuel burn before an unscheduled pit stop.. I think they've gone public because the plane spotters are swarming..

Odd. Probably spending more time airborne than if they'd gone to Gatwick.

That'll be the one they said would be orbiting over Hurn as part of essential training in an announcement on the Brize Facebook page earlier today. Lossie and Humberside will also be getting/have had a visit.

TamH70

MIA

One question if I may - where is/what is Hurn?

TamH70

MIA

Latest Threads