A400M

I post this not to de-rail a thread into a C17 versus A400M, or indeed C130, debate but I trust some here may find it useful if not just very interesting.

Jump (SWIDT) to pages 50 - 60 inclusive to see the advantages/disadvantages and conclusions. You can delete C130 for ATLAS as you go through perhaps.

ETA- I can pick up some other similar documents, given a bit more time, albeit on open source means that you may obtain yourselves.

Attachments

• a455930.pdf
    546 KB · Views: 33

QRK2

LE
One suggestion that was received from the public around Brize was the aircraft turn the engines off when coming into land. That certainly would be quiet until it lands on your house with a Big Bang.

Not arguing that it's anything other than a daft idea, however the first time I ran a TLS I was astonished that the aircraft was on the ground before we heard it.

One suggestion that was received from the public around Brize was the aircraft turn the engines off when coming into land.

RP.
You may recall the incident when instead of turning the engines off the aircrew did not put the undercarriage down when coming into land.

Land they did but 1 x C130 kaput for ever. Fortunately it was a K for Klassic model as I recall.

Apologies for thread drift everyone.

You may recall the incident when instead of turning the engines off the aircrew did not put the undercarriage down when coming into land.

Land they did but 1 x C130 kaput for ever. Fortunately it was a K for Klassic model as I recall.

Apologies for thread drift everyone.
This one? Yes I remember it. I seem to recall suggestions to use the other runway. Brize has Runway 07 and 25. They are both the same bit of tarmac approached from different directions.

RP.

German Armed Forces paratroopers jumping static line through Atlas side doors for the 1st time

Evj7nsXXcAEX0zj.jpeg
Evj6V58XIAIV-9L.jpeg

Just the one? Budget cutbacks? His birthday?
He is actually last man in the stick.....................of the 265 that preceded him. ;)

From the new A-400 TARDIS.
Bizarre you should say that.

I was shown around an ATLAS in a hangar at Brize Norton a few years ago by a friendly RAF SNCO Eng type. He said (and I remember it clearly) that amongst his blokes they called it a RE-TARDIS because it looks so big on the outside but seems much smaller when you get inside it.

He was not wrong, the difference seemed surreal. Don't know if that has been mentioned on this tread before?

Bizarre you should say that.

I was shown around an ATLAS in a hangar at Brize Norton a few years ago by a friendly RAF SNCO Eng type. He said (and I remember it clearly) that amongst his blokes they called it a RE-TARDIS because it looks so big on the outside but seems much smaller when you get inside it.

He was not wrong, the difference seemed surreal. Don't know if that has been mentioned on this tread before?
Hanger effect

A380s / 747s never looked big in the hangers - but onboard with empty cabins seemed huge - 747 combi especially felt like an indoor footy pitch

Belgian AF has received its 2nd, out of 7, Atlas.

A400M-CT03.jpg

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
If the A400 is so wonderful then I assume the MoD has finally released the figures for it, including the cost per flying hour?

If not, then can we assume it is truly embarrassing?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Quite...

Releasing such information would provide public insight into the costs of operating RAF aircraft. A public interest test has been conducted and it has found against release

Meanwhile MP's asking about he CPFH of just about every other type has been a staple of Defence Questions for yonks..

Oh apart from the F-35... That is commercially sensitive too.

I read this as embarrassingly high.

Don't know if it has been posted already on this Thread but there is a pretty good Downfall rant recently out, on this very subject.

I don't think it is breaking the Official Secrets Act.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Quite...

Meanwhile MP's asking about he CPFH of just about every other type has been a staple of Defence Questions for yonks..

Oh apart from the F-35... That is commercially sensitive too.

I read this as embarrassingly high.

A400M operating costs?

’reassuringly expensive’

The French directorate for armaments (DGA) has received the 18th Atlas destined to the FAF.

It is capable of sim sticks static line para dropping and automatic low level flight according to the official DGA statement.

ETA: sim stick means 2 x 58 paras.

ExUKzd8XEAMItRl.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads