A400M

but that’s exactly what the A400M has found itself doing, its become the RAF’s Fedex box shifter, a job a Voyager could have done better if we’d had the sense to fit the cargo door and updated floor - See the old Tristars.
A400M is a very expensive way to haul cardboard boxes. at least with MRTT’s, (aka A330 freighters), they could have been leased out to FedEx/DHL delivering Amazon packages to make a few Bob.

Sorry about that!

I don’t know enough about how we are using it to comment, but I do think it is a bit niche for us to support 3 heavy lifters.

The same way it was mentioned the Atlas had to take more trips but got the job done, similarly a C-17 could base closer and the C-130 do the multiple trips.

I don’t see the need for it.

Im working on a project now that wont fit in a C130 but will fit in a A400M but weight wise both can carry it. Oh the real world eh!
Don't forget the A400M's god-awful, filling-loosening, back-jarring, head-buzzing, screw-unwinding, rivet-popping, knot-undoing, load-point wearing, thought-disrupting vibration spectrum that we haven't learned to cope with yet.

And if that sounds like a Woke advert, the C17 and C-130 are truly the real thing...

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sorry about that!

I don’t know enough about how we are using it to comment, but I do think it is a bit niche for us to support 3 heavy lifters.

The same way it was mentioned the Atlas had to take more trips but got the job done, similarly a C-17 could base closer and the C-130 do the multiple trips.

I don’t see the need for it.

there ya go.
A400M makes some sense if you don’t have C-17’s, but we do.

but according to this weekends papers, we now seem to have the C-130 being killed off to save a few pennies and the A400M will be pushed forward into doing the jobs it’s simply not fit to do. And considering the RAF had it heart set on a new small fleet of MC-130’s to do the things the A400M simply can’t do, thats going to leave a huge capability gap.

there ya go.
A400M makes some sense if you don’t have C-17’s, but we do.

but according to this weekends papers, we now seem to have the C-130 being killed off to save a few pennies and the A400M will be pushed forward into doing the jobs it’s simply not fit to do. And considering the RAF had it heart set on a new small fleet of MC-130’s to do the things the A400M simply can’t do, thats going to leave a huge capability gap.
No duff question @PhotEx - What capabilities can’t the Atlas do in comparison to C130 as you state above?

No duff question @PhotEx - What capabilities can’t the Atlas do in comparison to C130 as you state above?
It cant do SF stuff - its new in service so thats inevitable its still being developed.

But it is true that there are concerns it will not be suitable for SF roles owing to size / Noise.

Im given to understand that the French herc buy is because A400delays mean the old SF fleet is knackered and A400 not ready - It isnt yet a tacit admission A400M is unsuitable -

At the same time its range carrying the max herc Payload is far superiour to the Hercs (which is almost climb to cruis altitude start descent ) and its rough field requirements are (intended to be) the same or better at equivelant loads.

As for C17 I believe that whilst it can do rough strips - rough strips dont do C17s very well - ergo bigger (if not heavier) than herc loads into unprepared strips are an are where i believe A400 is better

Tongue in cheek, it doesn’t have the most awesome gunship capability ever built!

I would have a spooky in our arsenal any day, and imagine if with the size of the A400 it could be a Gunship on steroids and still drop troops, we could rule the 3rd world again!!

Tongue in cheek, it doesn’t have the most awesome gunship capability ever built!

I would have a spooky in our arsenal any day, and imagine if with the size of the A400 it could be a Gunship on steroids and still drop troops, we could rule the 3rd world again!!
Spooky scaled up proportionately would be something along the lines of 155mm howitzer, 57mm bofors or even a 76mm, and GAU8

Or just double up on the battery x2.

Spooky scaled up proportionately would be something along the lines of 155mm howitzer, 57mm bofors or even a 76mm, and GAU8

Or just double up on the battery x2.
This is what you need, there is no such thing as overkill:
1614517598457.png

Consider me thoroughly educated: thank you!
This will teach me for spouting off outside my own areas.
The only real issues with it are that it's no longer in production and it isn't cheap to operate.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Not waken up everyone within 20 miles!

Its LOUD, very, very loud, with a nasty harmonic that really carries.
Funny, they fly over my house almost every day and they sound just the same as the C130s that do the same. Remind us, you were RFA not RAF weren't you?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
And a 747 cargo can shift more than a C17 at a lower operating cost - So beyond the obvious to everyone Military airlifters cost more to run than civil airliners factioid - I fail to see what your point is .

Incidentally whilst it is somewhat larger than the A400M - I remain more than a lot sceptical that an A330 could transport a wheeled AFV such as the VAB or Jaguar. Its almost as if payload weight isnt the full story- in fact id go so far as to suggest that the most embarrassing thing about the A330MRTT - A400M comparison is that you think their is a direct comparison.
Add to that the fact that any 'MRTT' is never treated as such - it is a tanker that has to be begged for if it is to be used as a transport. Folks comparing Tri* are talking bollocks too, they were supposedly MRTT but in reality we had frames in 3 different configurations.

Plus, MOG restrictions, runway lengths etc mean that you can't always operate your 'airliners' where you would like to.