Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A400M

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Not even for the C17 which is larger.
Heavy armour goes by ship, rail and road, as has been pointed out countless times by them wot knows.
But, it's a "fact" that is used to diss the A400m - claim it's crap coz it won't do what it wasn't designed for.
One came purring overhead just now having dropped it's cargo over Everleigh - lots of AD and parachuting going on with A400M right now.

One came purring overhead just now having dropped it's cargo over Everleigh - lots of AD and parachuting going on with A400M right now.

I'm on the south coast and hardly ever see the blighters, get quite a few Chinook and AH64 though.
Are they as noisy as everyone seems to swear ? I don't reckon they are. That or I've still got ear plugs stuck in my ears

I'm on the south coast and hardly ever see the blighters, get quite a few Chinook and AH64 though.
Are they as noisy as everyone seems to swear ? I don't reckon they are. That or I've still got ear plugs stuck in my ears

Living in Swindon, I see them all the time and, yes, they are noisy.

In the early days of lockdown, when they were flying around all the Scottish airports, I could clearly hear one at 20,000ft above my house. Confirmed by ADSBExchange.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Living in Swindon, I see them all the time and, yes, they are noisy.
You must have better hearing than me - I think it's as noisy as any comparable multi-engined military transport at low level. I see/hear A400M/C130J on a virtually daily basis at around 200' and there's barely any difference as far as I'm concerned.

You must have better hearing than me - I think it's as noisy as any comparable multi-engined military transport at low level. I see/hear A400M/C130J on a virtually daily basis at around 200' and there's barely any difference as far as I'm concerned.

I can always tell when an A400M is approaching and, despite its size, I can almost always hear it long it before I see it.

Last edited:

aardvark64

War Hero
I can always tell when an A400M is approaching and, despite its size, I can almost always hear long it before I see it.
^ This.

Even at higher altitudes, the drone is quite noticeable. They pass over me every couple of days: either from the Gloucester direction heading south, or following the M4 out to the training areas in Wales. Noisy gurt things, second only to wokkas, but great to watch...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I can always tell when an A400M is approaching and, despite its size, I can almost always hear it long it before I see it.
I don't doubt it - I think my point is that even a stealth bomber makes quite a lot of noise and, at 200' I personally can tell very little difference between A400M and C130J - I think you're unlikely to be surprised by the approach of a low/slow large prop-driven aircraft.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
During lockdown they were coming in and out of Gatwick.

It's a very distinctive sound and it really carries.
That's because it was taking off under full power ;-)

There has never been any intention of fly 'massed armoured hordes' anywhere - ever, not even for A400M.

You really do know absolutely nothing about this subject.
He's consistent then.

Paratroopers boarding a FAF Atlas last week during the FRA Army 11 Parachute Brigade Acinonyx FTX

Em8wotNW4AAO4QA.jpeg
Em8wmeDXUAAVkDd.jpeg

Latest Threads