Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A400M

True to a certain point.

I was more comparing C130 to Atlas in this instance.

Or we get into a never ending circular debate on the attributes of all 3 ac (Atlas, Herc, C17) others are available)) with regards to Airdrop v medevac v AAR v NSO v range v SF stuff v air land v etc.

Edited due to quaffing of vino calapso.

Which ones have production lines still open of those three ?
Not the C17.
That leaves C130 and A400.
Depending on what your want your airlifters to do will shape your choice. And yes, the A400 is coming on. I'm curious to see what the AAR limitations are and what the implications are for RAF refuelling the SF Chinooks etc.

Published by: Dafydd Phillips, via Youtube, on 08 JULY 2020.

Huge Airbus A400M Atlas makes spectacular beach landing

An airbus A400M from RAF Brize Norton making a rare visit to Pembrey sands to conduct natural surfaces operations. With the weather being wet prior to the aircraft arriving the pilot conducted some low approaches then some touch-and-go’s before the all clear to land the 76 tonne aircraft on the beach.

I think that was posted already back here:

I’m curious to see what the AAR limitations are and what the implications are for RAF refuelling the SF Chinooks etc.

A400 helicopter AAR?
Well, it works, as it it can do it now, with limitations, but the limitations will remain, limitations that will be less than optimum, especially for things like Wokkas That need a LOT of fuel, and that’s why the French bought AAR capable C-130’s.

seeing the two main launch partners buying C-130’s, that’s Germany and France, to do one of the A400’s much trumpeted capabilities, has driven a final stake in The projects twitching corpse. We won’t be doing AAR with our A400’s either, that will be a job for the MC-130’s

A400 production will wrap up with the current, now largely unwanted by the customers, orders.

The Griffon APC which is replacing the VAB APC in French forces has been trialled with the Atlas

GRIFO.jpg
Grif.jpg
GRI.jpg

Fit in ready to go condition?

From what I can see, yes. There is still some margin both on weight and space so I suppose that a Griffon with add-on cage armor would also fit without prior dismantling. But then, it's not just a matter of weight and size, balance and "centering" is also a key issue....

The rarest of all A400M: the one and only Luxembourg Armed Forces Atlas. It has landed last Wednesday in Luxembourg. It will be co-operated with the Belgian AF's 20th escadrille of the 15th wing

LOI.jpg
Lux.jpg

A video giving an update on the FAF Atlas; a part of the report is dedicated to the transport of the Griffon APC to Djibouti mentioned earlier. The various way of loading a Griffon in an Atlas have been trialled and homologated.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
A video giving an update on the FAF Atlas; a part of the report is dedicated to the transport of the Griffon APC to Djibouti mentioned earlier. The various way of loading a Griffon in an Atlas have been trialled and homologated.

Please do not only accept my 'informative' (which your post genuinely was) but also for teaching me a brand new word, homologated.

You learn something new every day!

Please do not only accept my 'informative' (which your post genuinely was) but also for teaching me a brand new word, homologated.

You learn something new every day!

You learn every day on ARRSE; I improve my colloquial English a lot by reading threads on this site.

My favorite expression remains, to this day, "I left her looking like a painter's radio". It still cracks me up !

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Silly thing about the A400M was it was in large part driven by the fantasy de jour of flying massed armoured hordes direct to the battlefield. There used to be very butch Airfix box art style posters back in the day at the airshows of the things on battle fields, ramps down, with armoured things charging out along with stern men in green - all the guns going dagagagagaga!

Well, that fantasy never survived contact with reality, so here we are, its too big grommet, but not really big enough to be properly big. It won't carry FRES, it got heavier, losing payload, now under 40 tonnes, as did FRES, its a hefty big boy now, over 40 tonnes.

Lockheed, who are the market experts in these sort of things, looked at a wide body 'Super Hercules' back in the day, it ended up much the same size as the A400M, oddly enough, they also came to the conclusion as did the end users, the suck wasn't worth the squeeze and gave it up. For the 5% of stuff that wont fit in a regular C-130, buying a plane twice as big doesn't make sense. Still plenty of life in the old C-130 dog, even with the existing wings/engines, it could be certified out to 30 tonnes payload if the market had a need.
You won't bulk out an A400M, but you'll easily max out its load and have heaps of space to spare.
There has never been any intention of fly 'massed armoured hordes' anywhere - ever, not even for A400M.

You really do know absolutely nothing about this subject.

You learn every day on ARRSE; I improve my colloquial English a lot by reading threads on this site.

My favorite expression remains, to this day, "I left her looking like a painter's radio". It still cracks me up !
Ahem, it's favourite not favorite, unless you want to speak Spam.
Otherwise top marks.

There has never been any intention of fly 'massed armoured hordes' anywhere - ever, not even for A400M.

You really do know absolutely nothing about this subject.

Not even for the C17 which is larger.
Heavy armour goes by ship, rail and road, as has been pointed out countless times by them wot knows.
But, it's a "fact" that is used to diss the A400m - claim it's crap coz it won't do what it wasn't designed for.

@fantassin
Any idea what the usage the ALA are getting out of it or pilots reactions etc?
I know the RAF pilots like flying it and we seem to be the biggest users on the block.

@fantassin
Any idea what the usage the ALA are getting out of it or pilots reactions etc?
I know the RAF pilots like flying it and we seem to be the biggest users on the block.

It has changed the way the AdAE operates and has simplified many operations that until then took longer and imposed the breaking down of cargo.

I think it is popular with the crews, the only issue being, as for many other assets after years of underfunding of the maintenance budget, that more should be operational. 17 have been admitted into AdAE service so far and IIRC, on average, half are available.

This figure is better than the C-130H but about 10% lower than C-130J in French service and reflects more a lack of money than technical deficiencies.

Latest Threads